Cheap 3D Printers?

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by Aussiejuggalo, Apr 25, 2015.

1. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Yup Mark is a good bloke. :)

2. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

CCDIY for me, Perth local so I can just collect (bit far from me though). Pricing is about as good as I can find in Aus(Even better than Ebay in most cases) and its seems pretty good quality.

https://ccdiy.com.au/

3. millsy

millsy Member

4. Andyj965

Andyj965 Member

He is

That's where Mark pointed me to buy filament

5. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

I got mine off 3dfillies too. I've got enough to last awhile.

6. Revenger

Revenger Member

Love how Sunlu uses the Wuba figure from the Monster Hunt movie to promote their silk filament.
    Cant seem to find the STL of the model.
    Here is someone else another company printing the model.

Good movie if you haven't seen it, theres 2 movies a third in the works.

4905b5ea1582d5d04d2c77f2f21f411a--monster-hunt--film.jpg

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
  7. Revenger

Revenger Member

As for the filament I have been getting from here, seems the cheapest filament I found shipped in AUS though very limited selection as most are greyed out.
    I'll check Ali for prices later as I don't mind waiting once I have a few rolls to get extra stuff for testign and side things.

8. tumutbound

tumutbound Member

I've been using eSun filament from Cubic. Good prices and free shipping if order over $149 - which is all too easy :)

9. OP
    OP
    Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

^ that, eSun is by far the best "cheap" filament you can get. It prints easy and is pretty forgiving to shit settings.

10. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

Holy moly. I ordered Friday, here today! That is nuts!

11. m3k

m3k Member

its seriously broken how quick they are-
    when i visited their packing stations were always active, and they had walls of filament you simply cant get anywhere else,
    they deserve all the success that comes their way- and they are always invested in always having the latest and greatest fpv stuff- its sick
    they even sell obscure adhesives and workshop tools its mad.

oh i even bought my ts80 from them with a battery bank and its replaced my soldering iron for good, heats up faster - super powerful- mobile can work on my car audio with it- its great

they always stock the coolest stuff

12. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

Went to CCDIY to get Filament on the weekend. Seems like everyone being in lockdown is a boon to 3D printing, They said they have 2-3X more sales now than pre-CoVID.

13. tumutbound

tumutbound Member

Still waiting for my BigTreeTech stuff to arrive (E3 mini, touchscreen
    Bit the bullet and ordered a Meanwell power supply from RS-Components today ($72) It is cheaper from Mouser but by the time you add shipping, it works out the same.
    Tride printing something today but the bed is badly in need of levelling so I might wait until all the new parts are here and tackle all jobs at once.

14. rockofclay

rockofclay Member

To be honest, I've found the 3d fillies stuff to be a pretty similar quality level to esun. I usually get the esun though, because cubitech is just around the corner. I do like the reusable spool thing esun does.

15. Revenger

Revenger Member

Anyone bought from X3D?
    They seem to have a great range of sample filaments of different materials one can buy to try out including more premium engineering type filaments.

16. weszx6r

weszx6r Member

Yes, I've tried 2 of x3d's twinkling filaments, and 2 samples that came with them (silver pla, and glow in the dark pla), all printed very nicely without any changes to my default print settings.

17. uLa32

uLa32 Member

had the bl touch installed now for about a week. biiiig improvement in the quality of my prints. should’ve been the first upgrade i reckon. next to install - the skr 1.4 turbo with the 2209 drivers, rounded out by a tft35. almost completely in.

will be good to see/test out what further improvements/benefits i can get from this.

58B4D3B3-62C0-4B82-B50C-100A5A1E36D8.jpeg

millsy and m3k like this.
  18. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

I should start by saying that I have zero need for a 3D printer... I also don't have a large enough need for a vinyl cutter, but I still have a 850mm (?) roll unit :p

At the moment, the only thing I really want to print is some rack mount bits and bobs for my USG3P and Raspberry Pi (and maybe tweak the design to accommodate a couple of other little things). It would make sense to engage the services of one of my fellow OCAU peeps to lend a hand... but it got me wondering what it might actually cost to play in this space?

What is the recommended entry point for a 3D printer that would be suitable for something like the project I'm looking at:
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4535702
    (which is a remix of this: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4125055 )

The Ender 3 V2 seems to be very well regarded, but I thought it was worth asking people who actually do these things.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  19. Revenger

Revenger Member

Most would recommend the Creality Ender 3 I imagine.
    If you just use the printer as is without any upgrades its about $250 to $350 or so.
    If you want to print ABS, PETG Abrasives and other specialities then thats where the upgrades the rabbit hole and the main money sink come in.
    Once your over the money sink its just filament to keep you going.

For me I am going all in with the money sink as I am investing so to say for future things projects etc.
    You can follow my worklog for that.

But basically with the printer its usable out of the box for PLA filament, though with a rack and heated electronics I would recommend PETG or ABS if you could.

20. Franc

Franc Member

Sorry '...heated electronics...' ? What do you mean?