Cheap 3D Printers?

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by Aussiejuggalo, Apr 25, 2015.

1. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

He means that the equipment in the rack may run warm enough to soften a PLA bracket. 'Heat-producing electronics' might have been a better choice of phrase.

2. Revenger

Revenger Member

Yep that's what I meant haha.

3. Franc

Franc Member

Oh ok.

FWIW I have two printers, and a third with external electronics - that one I used for ABS to preserve the electronics life.

You dont want hot electronics.

4. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

An interesting idea on heat. The Ender 3 V2 apparently supports PETG too, but I don't know if that's out of the box of with optional extras.

The rack tends to be slightly warmer than ambient (because of its location in the garage). So while that's usually in the 20-30C range I have seen it up to 45C in summer, nut only for short periods. I've been reading about not putting PLA into cars because of the heat on sunny days (and direct sunlight), but those are also much higher temps than I would see in a rack.

Now in reality, the rack stuff I want to make is supported by steel rods and is bolted on both sides to the rack itself so it's somewhat supported and not under any real torsional forces. It's also relatively light. So probably not a huge problem even with PLA.

... so is there any recommended places to purchase these machines?

5. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

For Creality printers, join this group on facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/3DPRINTINGALCHEMY The admin mark can get one for you cheaper than any other source.

6. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

One step ahead of you on that one ;)

Already joined up and been reading through some of their posts, although Facebook isn't as good as real forum for browsing history.

7. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Good stuff. :) It's a new group still. So there's not as many posts on there. The original group got disbanded or something and the admin Mark created a new group pretty recently. So there's just not that many people on there still.

8. OP
    OP
    Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

With the amount of time and money I spent on my Ender 3 I'm considering selling it with all the filament and desiccant I use to keep the PLA dry. I haven't used it in about a year and have no intention of using it in the foreseeable future, it's just gathering dust (literally). It's a good printer and FDM is much cleaner than resin but I never really clicked with the software side of things. Far to many settings and I always ended up with so many more failed prints than successful ones which is the main reason why I stopped using it.

I've been using my Photon more and planning on grabbing a Phrozen Sonic Mini 4K for super high detail stuff & an Elegoo Saturn for massive stuff. I prefer resin, much easier to get good prints, has stuff all settings and if there are failures it's normally much easier to work out the problem, normally user error, bad supports mostly. It is much more messy and smelly and the resin is damn expensive but all of that is outweighed by how easy it is to get good prints.

9. psychobunny

psychobunny Member

is it just a standard 3 or a v2 or a pro?

10. OP
    OP
    Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Standard 3 but has a BLTouch, Wham Bam, Meanwell PSU, 5mm thick aluminium bed with a 300w heater (stock bed was amazingly warped), MKS Gen L & 2208 drivers. Think that's it.

Got I think 10kg of filament, mostly PLA, some samples etc as well.

11. MonoJoker

MonoJoker Member

I'm after a cheap 3D printer to do small stuff - my son and I play around customising die cast vehicles and it would also be interesting to build the odd custom lego brick or three. I've been looking a the Creality Ender range and see the 3 comes in quite a few options now. I don't need the size print it offers, are there smaller and/or cheaper units? Would I be best getting a 3 and then it can be improved later or just go the v2 and have all the fruit straight away? Is the 5 worth it - seems the 3 v2 is around 400-420 and the 5 around 520. Ideally I'd spend even less but given my requirements what's the best make/model to look at and where to source one? Happy with second hand too but there seems to be very few used units around these days - has the hobby fallen in popularity or something else?

12. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

Well I hear that AssieJuggalo wants to sell his machine and I'm sure Gumtree would have a fair few if you want second hand.

As for new.

A stock Ender 3 is about $300 and works perfectly well as is (maybe a few 3D printed parts) , much cheaper than that and the quality starts to go down. If you want to do small detailed stuff (Like Lego)then you might want to look at a resin printer, an Anycubic Photon Zero is not the best printer but its cheaper than an Ender 3 and would have better prints (More expensive resin, smaller build volume and way more cleaning/mess).

13. OP
    OP
    Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Ender 3 or Ender 5 are normally the most recommended because there so cheap and pretty easy to build. Ender 3 has been the go to for years as a first printer because of how cheap it is, the V2 is the best atm. Ender 5 is good because the frame self aligns, on the first Ender 3s the frames were a bit iffy and not cut perfectly square.

Looking for second hand printers is also a good option, can sometimes get a pretty good deal but they could be a bit of work depending on the state of them. Some people abuse the crap out of them don't tune them etc. Getting one that requires a little work is always better than getting a brand new pre built one because that way you know how it works and can fix issues, can be extremely frustrating though.

Printers don't sell very well second hand, you can buy a $2000 printer and really only sell it for $500 - $1000 if your lucky. A used Ender 3 would be $150 - $200 max unless it has a lot of upgrades and even then your looking at $250 - $300.

As Butcher9_9 says I am looking at selling mine but I'm still in the process of drying filament (should be dry but can never be to careful) and I want to make sure the printer it's self is in a decent working state before I sell it. Mines heavily modified (genuine BLTouch, WhamBam with spare plate and bed stickers, 10mm aluminium bed, 300w silicone bed heater, upgraded PSU, MKS Gen L with 2208 drivers & Noctua fans) and it's in desperate need of a clean. Mine I was going to sell for maybe $250 & $100 or so for the 6 - 7kg of filament, have 4 or 5 rolls basically untouched and 2 unopened, got a big tub of desiccant as well for keeping filament dry, was going to give about half of it with the rest of the filament.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    MonoJoker likes this.
  14. MonoJoker

MonoJoker Member

Colour me interested Aussiejuggalo but I’ll pm you some questions first if that’s ok. Thanks.

15. OP
    OP
    Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Yeah that's cool.

16. Franc

Franc Member

Just FYI - I dont know AussieJuggalo from a bar of soap but that printer with the upgrades will be is a good bet, things like BLtouch and bed make it much easier to use and (genuine BLtouches) arent a cheap upgrade.

Id recommend something like that over a resin - especially if you have kids wanting to use it and only need to print in PLA...Resins are only a mess and needs a lot of cleanup but the fumes as well can be an issue.

17. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

I'd say don't buy FDM printer (ender3/5 etc filament type) if you're looking to do small stuff. FDM aren't great for that. Especially if you're doing customize die cast parts for scaled vehicles. Resin printers are messier to use and more cleanup, but the finished product is night and day compare to FDM. I'd use FDM to make maybe the larger bits like maybe a diorama base. I do a fair bit of printing and do commissions for people wanting specific items made in 1/6 or 1/4 scales. I've got 2x FDM printers and 2x Resin printers. For these items I always use resin. The end result is cleaner, sharper and easier to work with than FDM prints. But I can understand you not wanting to use resin printer due to toxicity of Resin, but yeh, the choice is yours ultimately. As for resin fumes and etc that people are saying is bad, it's really not as bad as people make it out to be. It just requires more discipline when handling it.

18. Franc

Franc Member

That is true, but Im presuming he has a young child. Id hate to expose a child to resin printing, i dont even think you can get kid size nitrile gloves. The small of fumes is not the only issue its the risk of accidental exposure and the like.

19. OP
    OP
    Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Yeah detailed parts resin is much better but if you have a kid it may not be a good idea depending on how old your kid is and if they actually listen and follow safety. You'd need to be very careful because you can develop resin sensitivity which means you can break out in rashes, hives, peeling skin or the worst is minor chemicalish burns, seen it heaps on the Photon Facebook group, people not wearing gloves and getting sensitive to resin quite quickly. Resins also much more expensive, $50 for 500g vs $25ish for 10kg FDM.

Edit, the fumes aren't a massive issue from what I've seen but it does smell, respirator might be needed with P2 gas/vapour filters.

20. Franc

Franc Member

That said, its a pita getting super fine resolution (if you can do it all) with FDM printers, thats what resin really excels at.