Cheap 3D Printers?

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by Aussiejuggalo, Apr 25, 2015.

1. RaihaX

RaihaX Member

Story of our life :lol: need a second one where one can be a workhorse and the other is a modding station.

2. tangcla

tangcla Member

I have two CR-6 SE and stupidly did the same mod on both, and made a mess of both!
    I bought an all metal hotend (heat throat) and now I have clogs, even after reverting back to stock.

So yes... if it ain't broke, don't f#k with it.

RaihaX likes this.
  3. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

I have watched his video on it this morning. It looks like it'll almost work straight out of the box. My CR20-Pro seems to be an ender 3 by any other name but with BL Touch as standard.

I do need to rewatch the part about the BL touch attachment though - seems like how you wire it up has an effect on how it works.

4. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

yeah, setting up ABL can be confusing with the SKR's dedicated probe port, the correct pin selection is a bit odd. You might find it easier to use the z endstop port instead of the dedicated one. It's a single line in marlin from memory.

5. tumutbound

tumutbound Member

I'd love a second printer but I live in a very small,place and have no room.
    Nearly upgraded the Ender 5 to and Ender 5 Plus when I was ordering the latest upgrades (Printermods direct drive, linear rails, flex-steel bed, BL-Touch and E3D V6 ). If I do decide to update, most of those modes will transfer across - except I'll need longer rails. I might just do it before I get my Kickstarter X-Change.

6. RaihaX

RaihaX Member

I want another one too but i got no space (well the space approved and provided by my wife anyway...).

But yes the Ender 3 build space is starting to be a bit limited... the SV03 is enticing - might need to find a way to go vertical.

7. uLa32

uLa32 Member

that doesn't work that way at all! :lol: i bought a second ender 3 just to mod but i've got it working great.... so good that it's my go-to printer for abs. better than my blardy ender 3 pro that i bought new!

i've got a whole bunch o mods in boxes meant for that 2nd ender 3 but now i've got this bright idea to put it on a future bigger printer i want to get, like a CR-10. after that i swear i'll start modding the 2nd ender.

8. tumutbound

tumutbound Member

Got a bit siedtracked on the printer mods while I decide on a new PC build, after 10 years it's over due.
    Putting the printer back together will wait until I get my new extruder (Orbiter) which as it's coming from China, could be a while...
    EDIT: Just checked on tracking and it's in Tassie! Should have it in another week or so ...

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  9. Franc

Franc Member

Two lacks will be a good base. Im using a desk though, my lacks are great for I3 sized printers

10. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

Whilst I’m reading a bunch of threads, has anyone got an opinion on the Ender Pro vs V2 as first foray into printing?

Mate just bought a Pro, reckons there’s more upgrade options for it (despite the V2 having a few of them out of the box)... plus he’s already printed a few of the bits so I can lean on him for help too :lol:

11. garfield2k

garfield2k Member

they are both very similar so either will be fine for a first printer. upgrades are nice, but not neccessay. a well calibrated printer is better than a printer full of mods but not well calibrated.
    i started on the e3p and still use it, mostly stock except for extruder and bltouch and a rpi running octoprint. the v2 has a touchscreen which is nice, but i think upgrading to octoprint with a touchscreen is much better money spent (more customisation etc)

TheWedgie likes this.
  12. TheWedgie

Cheers, mate said the bltouch and auto bed levelling are a must, and I’ve got an old pi3b ready for octoprint.

Seems like out of the box the v2 has a few of the upgrades/mods that could be done to the pro, so weighing what the differences are and if it’s worth getting it “at purchase” as such.

13. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Honestly they're so close in overall design that I wouldn't worry about it.

Neither has a touchscreen - the V2 has a higher-resolution colour LCD, but it's not touch.

The V2 has a nicer stock motherboard, 32-bit with "silent" stepper drivers. I think that alone might make it worth the extra $$$ - a drop-in upgrade like an SKR Mini E3 would cost $50.

TheWedgie likes this.
  14. TheWedgie

Ahh he did say something about updating the motors, stock ones are noisy.

15. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Stepper drivers make a LOT more difference than the motors themselves, all stepper motors are mechanically pretty similar.

16. TheWedgie

Ahh yep, just re-read his messages. Upgrading motherboard.

17. garfield2k

garfield2k Member

just keep an eye on the main outlets that sell these direct and wait for specials. i think there was just one recently for chinese new year but they always come around.
    the bltouch is nice to have but not really needed if you use the same buildplate all the time. spending a lot on upgrades might not really net the improvements you seek as the machine itself is the limiting factor.

TheWedgie likes this.
  18. TheWedgie

Cheers. I wouldn’t mind spending a bit more if it’s worth it but I figure as a starter it’ll do.

19. garfield2k

garfield2k Member

definitely good as a starter with plenty of activity online if you get stuck tuning it.
    can always upgrade the whole thing into a voron swtichwire conversion or BLV conversion if you want better performance from it.

TheWedgie likes this.
  20. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

TheWedgie I just got myself an Ender 3 v2 the othe week. First printer and it was really an impulse buy as it came on the cheap from the forums... I literally had 0 background knowledge and I'm finding it very easy to learn. I believe the main components such as the frame and motors is that of the Ender 3 Pro with the exception of upgraded motherboard, control screen, glass bed from the box and some other small things.

First upgrade for me is to upgrade the springs for the bed and the extruder plate to metal instead of plastic. But from getting it delivered to setting up my first print I was shocked everything had worked so nicely without a hitch. I posted my very first print of a benchy in another thread here so have a look at the results yourself. That was done right out of the box with very little knowledge. All I did was manual levelling, downloaded a benchy gcode and chucked it on the SD card - let the printer do its thing. I'm now learning a lot about it and don't plan to do major upgrades until I'm well and truly deep down the rabbit hole. However, the metal extruder plate and the springs is a bolt on upgrade that takes less than 5 minutes to do and will do wonders from what I have read. I care about quality of life changes whilst I'm learning, quality prints will come with experience and it's mostly down to settings and configurations on your own knowledge. An ender 3 or equivalent can do what a $1000 printer will do with the right settings and conditions - that's what I've learnt on my research.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    garfield2k and TheWedgie like this.