Cheap 3D Printers?

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by Aussiejuggalo, Apr 25, 2015.

1. m3k

m3k Member

i cant seem to quit simplify3d, it just has better pathing -_-

2. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

I’m still being boring and using Cura. I’d like to check out simplify3d if/when they update it. Prusa slicer now works for 3rd party printers too.

3. cvidler

cvidler Member

Cura myself. it works fine, and is the least trouble on a linux desktop.

They all do the job, there's some minor pros and cons for each. you also have to learn the workflow for each. so find one you like using, and unless you like spending more time tweaking rather than getting things done. stick with it.

4. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

Cura for me as well.

I tried using prusa slicer for awhile (honeycomb infill is cool looking) but having settings split into filament and printer settings had me constantly looking for stuff.

5. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

I was just using the Creality one that it came with :wired:

What's everyone using to edit models? Need to add a USB sized hole to something off Thingiverse.

6. cvidler

cvidler Member

If all they supply is the STL, it's bit of a shit fight. STL's aren't really made for editing, they're the middle step between model and sliced g-code.

there' are certainly STL editors out there, but be prepared to be frustrated, as the whole model will be thousands of little triangles all co-dependant on each other. I most often than not find it easier and faster to CAD something (I use FreeCAD) rather than mess with a STL.

7. TheWedgie

Yeah, the model (Wheelie bin) is an STL. Haven't messaged the original creator to see if I can get the proper files, and tried to use Autocad to convert to a model and just gave me a headache.

8. mtma

mtma Member

Yeah nah just grab a STEP solid model from anywhere or if you can find a native file to an editor you use even better and import and edit it from there.

Unless there's something special about this wheelie bin.

9. TheWedgie

Nothing special really, although the base & lid being different parts that clip together is something I'd need to edit into any new model version.
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2247931

Base printed in olive green, lid printed in translucent... add Wemos D1 mini & LED for a slightly less obvious/bright BinDayCator.

10. mtma

mtma Member

Ah that sucks it has ipt's in it but Fusion 360 personal doesn't import them anymore. :upset:

11. nibennett

nibennett Member

Having an original prusa (And the MMU2S for it) I use Prusa Slic3r

12. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Brute force & optimism

Hey all, got this Delta Rostok V2 thing that was given to me in a non-working state... never had the time and I probably never will.
    Free to anyone who wants to come and pick it up from/near 2076.
    Covered in dust and a bit of corrosion on the arms/ball joints/fasteners but I'm sure the steppers/extruder/hotplate/'tronics would be fine.
    There's a bag of "spare" fasteners/bits & pieces with it too. :Paranoid::thumbup:
    (Edit: open-frame PSU with switched/fused mains cable assembly also included)
    Could be a good starting point for My First Custom Printer, or topping up the handy junk box, or whatever.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aohxrDB7yTDu9pRNt2kyq_alpp4iKk0H/view?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1as8mlbvLNxoRKBXjXxfw2xmrjK_Ug66C/view?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1awm-NmyfjW3C4VM92o2SXObcinwy9ix9/view?usp=sharing

PM me if you'd like to come and grab it. Cheers.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  13. OP
    OP
    Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

So it seems like Cura is still the most popular. I'll have another look but last time I used it, it just gave me a damn headache. I have an old cracked version of S3D somewhere but buggered if I can remember where atm.

Still have to get around putting the new board in and loading the firmware, I'll get to it one day :lol:.

14. TheWedgie

Tinkercad can import IPT's and export to OBJ or STL.

As it was, think I got the right sized hole done in Tinkercad itself so will test print a few once the USB cables arrive.

15. OP
    OP
    Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

I know everyones been dying for an update from me :lol:.

Finally got around to installing the 4.2.7 board today, Ender 3 is back up and running. Used TeachingTechs firmware because it was easier and I've got PrusaSlicer set up the way Thomas Sanladerer showed in his 2.3 video. I have yet to do a print, maybe tomorrow. Thinking I'll give this thing another go for a bit as well, cant use the resin printers for at least 20+ weeks :upset:.

While working on this thing, I forgot how much I utterly hate hex head bolts allen key head things. Anyone else have an unnatural hatred of the damn things? I'm also not 100% confident with the heatbed cables, I cut them a little short so I'll have to print TeachingTechs housing for the back of the printer. The cables should be fine but the thermistor one is pretty tight and likes to snag on the motor, have to keep an eye on it and print slow for now.

On another note, I did get an Anycubic Photon Mono but yeah, cant use it yet :mad: :rolleyes: :upset:.

Last edited: May 31, 2021
  16. Franc

Franc Member

Why do you hate hex heads? They are 1000 times better than phillips

17. cvidler

cvidler Member

and are we talking hex heads,
    [​IMG]

or socket (allen) heads (which a lot of people incorrectly call hex heads)?
    [​IMG]

I've no hate for either in general, although a poor choice to use socket heads, in a situation where getting a tool onto it was near impossible, caused me to hate whomever made that choice. I ended up having to custom make an ultra short allen key, round of the edges so I could get at it from a weird angle, and it still took over 2 hours of fumbling around to get the thing out. a hex head would've taken seconds with a flex head spanner.

18. OP
    OP
    Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

My bad, wasn't thinking. Allen heads

Yeah allen ones. I've always hated them, shit screws strip easy, shit tools strip easy, good tools strip shit heads, good screws strip shit heads. The ball end tools never hold well.

The bigger ones aren't to bad but the standard small ones every printer uses give me a headache. I'm gonna change all of the small fiddly ones out with steel phillips eventually especially ones that will need to be removed and replaced like hotend ones.

19. mrbean_phillip

mrbean_phillip Member

I’ve used ball-head Allen-keys (for a couple decades) with good quality domed, countersunk and socket cap screws, with very few issues. Most of the screws I use are 3mm, so if they survive, it shows good quality.

Never skimp on quality screws and tools.

Cheers,
    Beano

greencamel65 likes this.
  20. Franc

Franc Member

yeah but in all fairnessm 3d printers usually are put together with crappy cheap screws. but you can always use pliers