REVIEW Cheap Case Review #10 - Rota (SHAW) K500 Full Tempered Glass ATX Gaming Case - Video!

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by __Ripjaws__, Sep 18, 2017.

1. __Ripjaws__

__Ripjaws__ Member

Cheap Case Review #10 - Rota (SHAW) K500 Full Tempered Glass ATX Gaming Case - Video!

Another trip to MSY, and another case to review!

Also - Milestone - 10 Reviews done in 4 years :)
    Thank you to everyone who has looked at the reviews through the years and gave their kind feedback, you are all awesome!
    Without your feedback and support, I wouldn't continue doing this, and I am paying for my own product as I want my review to be as genuine as possible!

I was very excited to review this case, not only was it the most expensive "Budget" case I have ever reviewed, but it's actually something that offers a lot more than I thought. That tempered glass though, it's awesome!

Rota you ask? Well it's actually SHAW, just their branding of a "Higher" end product. Same box as the Micro Hero, same fans as the Micro Hero, SuperMem, no website - easy, we got a Premium SHAW Case. Only for high rollers :D

VIDEO HERE -

(Was there puns? I was SHAW not to make any. I ROTA few notes down while reviewing this anyway :thumbup:)

If you don't want to watch the full video, that's fine, I will give a quick rundown of the features and my Pros & Cons and if you should buy this case for your next budget build!

The case is priced at a reasonable $77, and there are other variants of the case that cost even more, but I don't think they would offer much more, but you can squiz them out over on MSYs website by clicking HERE.

The ROTA (SHAW) K500 is a very nice & solid case. It's straight to the point, it's full tempered glass, it's made with quality (Except for a few minor things).
    You can fit practically any component on the market in this case. Save your dough by getting this case and put the extra cash towards a better component. I highly recommend this case. It was awesome to build in and after powering it on, I was left in awe thinking - is this SHAW or ROTA?

It may be a bit "over the top" for some people, but I think this would cater for a lot of people who want the flexibility of installing different components and have those options for upgrades down the track.
    Doesn't matter, it's amazing!

Here's the rundown of what is good and bad.

PROS:
    *Solid case & Great build quality.
    *4 x 120MM LED fans included (which are decent).
    *Full Tempered Glass for all panels. It's beautiful.
    *Rubber mounts for the glass that protect the glass and make installation easy for removing/installing the glass panels.
    *Flexibility to install a number of components.
    (This includes graphics cards, 6 x SSDs, or 4 x SSDs and 2 x 3.5" drives, fans, radiators* etc)
    *Cable management is a breeze with heaps of cutouts and tie-downs.
    *Overall building was very easy and straightforwards.
    *3.5" HDD Bays have little nubs that make them tool-less.
    *Has that over the top look that should turn heads.
    *Separate PSU enclosure that should be on every decent case anyway.
    *All black internal cables - YASSSS!
    *Packaged very well!
    *Man, it comes in a BAG! Woo!

CONS:
    *It's still a SHAW Case, or IS IT? :shock:
    *The price MAY make some people back away considering it's $77.
    *Plastic panels are a bit flimsy, but aren't too bad.
    *Cheap in a few places, but it's stuff that doesn't bother me.
    *May need a bit of modding to fit a front 360MM Rad.
    *Might be a bit TOO big for some people as this is far from compact! (590x560x287mm)
    *PSU size may be affected considering the HDD Case isn't removable.
    *Dust filter for PSU could have been upgraded to something a little better.
    *The box needed handles so I could lug it around :D It's a heavy case at 11.5KG!
    *No RSU included. I laughed too much at that. And the name is just great.

Overall: 9/10

Amazing case. Value for money right here.
    This is literally the SHAW Micro Hero's bigger brother right here, I mean, they are very similar.

Going mATX? SHAW Micro Hero wins.
    Going Full ATX? Rota K500 wins.

I enjoyed this review so much, it was a blast building something in the case and seeing what the final result is.
    If you just put that extra cash towards this case if you can, you benefit with getting something that is well put together and should fit in well with an over the top environment. This case is ideal for modders, should you want to do a custom overhaul to this!

I hope everyone enjoys this review for what it is, I know the video isn't perfect and I am not the best at reviewing but I am doing this for fun and that's the whole point.

And to see how the budget market is going for Computer gear, sometimes, it can be good!

Thanks - see you all in the next one!

(I was meant to do that Keyboard set, but, this got the better of me..)

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  2. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Have been quietly enjoying your last couple reviews, nice work :thumbup:

Those GPU's are too damn close!

3. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

appreciate the time & effort you put into making the reviews:thumbup:

4. boneburner

boneburner Member

The bonus is that when your over the look, the whole thing converts into a nice nesting set of side tables :lol:

5. OP
    OP
    __Ripjaws__

__Ripjaws__ Member

@jpw007 Thanks for watching/reading. Yeah those GTX295s are close, but eh, it's just for show :D

@mad_mic3 Thanks heaps, it is a lot of time and effort, but I enjoy doing it!

@boneburner So true! You can literally build a decent coffee table out of it, it's solid as.

6. havabeer

havabeer Member

can you please smash one of the side panels just to see how "tempered" it actually is.

will send a 6 pack worth of dan murphy's voucher to you for this

7. perz

perz Member

Awesome review man! I'm quite a fan of these budget reviews and this one is quite a gem ha.

Keep up the good work. :thumbup:

8. OP
    OP
    __Ripjaws__

__Ripjaws__ Member

@havabeer I don't hate the case that much to smash one of the panels, and I don't drink :) Maybe if someone else gets it. They can try it lol

@perz Thanks for watching/reading, appreciate it!

9. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Dunno how I missed this till now (I guess because review 9 got bumped above it). Another great review. :thumbup:
    The $77 is a little daunting, especially without an "RSU" included, but like you said comparable cases are $150+

Keep up the good work, and maybe these will be MSYs deal of the day in a few weeks for $57 :D

10. OP
    OP
    __Ripjaws__

__Ripjaws__ Member

Yeah it's been around, all good man :)
    For the price, it's good to have it looking like a $150 case, so it's definitely good in my books. I have the Micro Hero in it's plastic and this in it's bag it came with :D

I don't know what case to review next though, I have sort of picked out SHAWs cases, I want to move onto something else, but I will figure it out soon enough.

And with the deal of the day thing, the MK3 got a bad review from me, then they put them down in price. Co-incidence maybe hah. Since the Micro Hero and K500 got good reviews from me, maybe they will stay at their price because they know they are good. I dunno :\

AND THAT KEYBOARD! I am thinking of ways to review it, plan is, standard review, then set up at least 4 devices recording in 120FPS and let the magic happen.

11. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

For the next cheap case, you should totally go into your most local store (not a chain) and ask for the cheapest case they have, you'll even be able to haggle the price..
    Chances are, NO other store in the world will have the brand, and the quality will make even the worst shaw case seem great.
    Last local cheapy I picked up was $30 about 5 or 6 years back. never seen anything like it before or since :lol:

And I'm pretty sure MSY are watching you and adjusting pricing accordingly, when there's another good case, give it a shit review, and say it's the worst they've ever done and we can all get a good case super cheap.

I'm actually watching your iphone clone video atm, enjoying that too.:thumbup:

12. OP
    OP
    __Ripjaws__

__Ripjaws__ Member

Yeah there's BNET tech in Airport West, and that one up near Coles in Campbellfield, off the top of my head. I am thinking of grabbing an eBay case, they have some really oddball ones on there and no pics, no website, nada.

Haha, as much as that would benefit everyone, you know me, I have to be honest and as upfront with these cases as possible. But I am glad they are seeing these, they know now which are good and which are bad.
    (plz sponsor me msy - I'll be the goofy face of the "SHAW" brand :D)

Thanks for watching the other ones, it's a blast making these man.

13. AlistairMarric

AlistairMarric Member

Rota K 500 Case review

Thanks for the review, actually went out and bought one, my tiny mATX build looks rather ludicrous in it, but I actually thought that your review gave it enough merit to try, and I have always wanted a glass case, just not the price tag that goes with it. Not sure how long build will last as I have a white cat who has a petulance for leaving his fur all over my computers.

14. wikedscotty

wikedscotty Member

Can the colour of the led fans be changed at all?

15. OP
    OP
    __Ripjaws__

__Ripjaws__ Member

Nah, no controller on them, just standard 120MM fans with an LED strip in them connected via Molex power.