Cheap external PCI-E expansion?

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by alexc, Apr 23, 2021.

1. alexc

alexc Member

Hi!

Are there any cheap PCI-E expansion options?

I want something like this

But thats hooking on the PCI-E slot internally not the M2 slot!

I'm not after a TB3 option either, as those are crazy expensive. TB3 cards and expansion chaisis are the cost of a whole new PC virtually :-/

I literally want a cheap ghetto option to mount the card outside and long cable to plug in the case?

I'm googling but cant find exactly what i'm after!

2. Sunder

Sunder Member

s-l400.jpg

Like this?

Edit: sorry, read your comment in reverse, thought you wanted M.2

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
    alexc likes this.
  3. Ck21

Ck21 Member

goto pccg graphics card accessories grab a pcie-bracket holder + longer pcie ribbon (thermaltake have a 60cm one) and route into your case, wont be pretty, but very ghetto and will get you what your after

edit: doesnt have to be pccg, visist your favourite retailers website and look under graphics card accessories

alexc likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    alexc

alexc Member

Thanks for the links!

Some of those cables seems a bit expensive!

knowing what to google for helps!

I found some PCIE 1x to 16x boards on eBay which seemed to be for mining.

and spoke to a mate this morning who does mining, and he pointed out that powering the card might be an issue. I can't just use another PSU apparently.... he found the PSU needs to connected to the Mobo as well - mining boards have multiple power connectors apparently for this reason.

I don't want to mine.

I just want like a rack and PCIE 16x hock-up and some away to neatly power the card!

It starts to all get messy and hard... and becomes easier just to get a new PC and bigger case :-/

5. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Nah, it can be done chief. Pick your poison - ExpressCard, mini PCI-E or M.2 (NGFF) available there. Note the laptop compatibility chart there - there are some units that won't work. Power limit is 220W via ATX, or 150W via DC. If via DC, you'll need an additional 6-pin PCI-E cable to feed the GPU from the adapter, I think.

The PSU is the next piece of the puzzle - in past revisions these just took a 230W Dell brick from an old XPS or similar - looks like that's changed and now it wants an 8-pin, although pin-out is possibly proprietary.

They ship with an adapter - the green wire is to start an ATX PSU, the black/yellow ones would feed the voltage from 4PIN_CPU. I'm having a bit of difficulty determining how the adapter knows to start the PSU - I can't see a power button or anything on the EXP itself - it may work off voltage-sense from the M.2 output or something - this listing mentions 'notebook control power switch' so that may indeed be true, in which case that's pretty nifty - it should fire the PSU (and GPU) when you start the notebook up.

Keep scrolling down that second listing, it's got some great pictures of it set up :thumbup:

alexc likes this.
  6. Ck21

Ck21 Member

look under; Cables > sleeved cables.

you can get a 60cm/45cm extension (even in various colors), the plugs into the pcie 6 or 8pin connector off your PSU then goes into the GPU, route through the same pcie slot cover on the case as the ribbon cable or alt; if your case has a out/with rubber grommet for external WC loop, psu cables will easily fit through those.

Like i said, it aint pretty, but it works, very ghetto, and you wanted ghetto right :p

Out of interest, what Case?PSU combo you using?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
  7. Sunder

Sunder Member

He probably just didnt know how to trigger the second PSU.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.in...-ATX-Power-Supply-without-a-PC/?amp_page=true

If you want to be really smart, instead of the power switch, put a relay on something on the main PSU, so they both turn on together.

alexc likes this.
  8. Slug69

Slug69 Member

I think the timing of powering up the cards and motherboards with different power supplies can be an issue. So find out if you have to start the cards or mobo first and time difference. I have seen some YT miners talk about this.

alexc likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    alexc

alexc Member

Thanks for the replies!

I've been super busy - but will come back to this side project shortly and post where I end up :)

10. cvidler

cvidler Member

Do you care about gaming performance?

if a 1x link is sufficient, there's adapter that'll change a PCI-e slot into a USB3 cable, and back again. only 1x link supported, so only good for (what I'm doing) video encode/decode acceleration, or mining.

11. OP
    OP
    alexc

alexc Member

I do care about gaming :)

Gaming is my main reason! :)

12. cvidler

cvidler Member

well, that's a cheap option you need to avoid then.