1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Cheap Laser Engravers?

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by Raykay, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Raykay

Raykay Member

Hi guys,

I'm on the lookout for a relatively cheap (<$1000) laser engraver to do some engraving on parts.

I've had a go at one of these which my mate bought http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10W-Lase...179415&hash=item5b3d75e47a:g:fwgAAOSwRJ1ZoRgH
    I'm pretty happy with how it works except that there's no option too focus for different heights.

I mainly need it for engraving anodised aluminium and occassionally SS.

I want to use this until I can afford a more industrial machine, my current workload isn't too high so I believe these will cope well.

Any suggestions?

2. Zee

Zee Member

Thread resurrection... But... Did you find anything, by chance?

Z...

3. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

A K40 from Ebay is generally the best budget option is you are willing to spend a bit of time fixing its issues. Its on my list of things to get when I move to a bigger place lol. Very big community build around these and move videos on youtube ect than you can shake a stick at (around $500) then maybe budget a couple extra hundred to fix issues ect.

As a side note, no cheap Laser will engrave metal (That I know of) . You need a fiber laser for that (or crazy high wattage if its CO2, Metal takes a lot of energy to Vaporize, is good at heat sinking and reflects light). You could use to along with etching but that's a bigger process.