Cheap monthly plan (on telstra)

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by glenpinn, May 16, 2018.

1. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Hi, i am currently on the following PAYG plan with Aldi, usually top up around every 6 months with $30, and pay 12 cents for each text and 12 cents per minute for calls, and i very rarely go on the net unless i get free wifi while away from home.

https://www.aldimobile.com.au/plans/payg/

It was great until i just got my new phone several weeks ago, but i noticed that i am now using it a bit more, especially for texts, so my $30 is not lasting as long as it used to, so i have decided i am better off on a 30 day unlimited calls/text plan with at least 1gb of data, so i am considering a move to the Aldi PAYG small value pack plan instead.

https://www.aldimobile.com.au/plans/s-value-pack/

Anyone know of an alternative plan on the telstra network that might be better value than this one.

I want to stick to the telstra network as my wife is on Kogan (vodafone) and i want at least one of us to have telstra for better coverage if we go anywhere that vodafone can't cover, which happens a lot here in Tasmania.

Cheers

2. slavewone

slavewone Member

Telstra Network: Belong, lycamobile and Telstra all have unlimited calls/SMS plus 1gb for $10pm.

https://www.whistleout.com.au/MobilePhones/ Is a good site to use.

I'm considering thinkmobiles unlimited calls/SMS with $20gb for $30.

3. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Where is the Telstra $10 plan in that link ?

LycaMobile looks good for $10, unlimited plus 1gb
    https://www.lycamobile.com.au/en/plans/

Think i will stick with the Aldi small for $15p/m with 1.5gb data for 1 month, and if i don't use much data in the first month, might swap over to Lyca.

I still have $7.50 credit with Aldi, so i can use that to partially fund the first $15 recharge and only have to pay the extra $7.50 from my card.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  4. slavewone

slavewone Member

Looks like I skimmed over them a bit fast. lycamobile is 28days and Telstra is 7days, sorry.

5. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

i looked on the telstra website, nothing there either, but it's ok, the Lyca would do me if i need to downscale to less data, as long as i get the same quality service and coverage that i get from Aldi it should be fine.

6. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

vladtepes likes this.
  7. bangmango

bangmango Member

Good plan this one ,15/mth is plenty for what you want..

8. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

Belong Mobile recently added a $10 plan with unlimited calls/texts and 1GB of data. HOWEVER, one of the good things about this plan is if you go over, your speeds are capped at 64kbps rather than you having to buy a data pack or something like that

9. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

Also Coles/Woolworths sometimes sell half price $40 belong starter packs. That would cover you for 4 months.

10. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Yep been using my Data away from home now that i have the Aldi plan, but the 1.5gb will be ample for my needs as i usually just check emails and maybe use Messenger every now and then, and of coarse while i am at home, or other family members place i hook up to their home Wifi, and any free hotspots i find in my travels.

The $10 Lyca Mobile plan would suite those not needing any more than 1gb data but wanting to be on telstra, probably these 2 plans would be the best value i have seen for $10 or $15 p/m

11. Tiggs

Tiggs Member

Sounds like you've found a solution you're happy with, but just FYI, Boost would be another option. They use the full Telstra network which is handy if you're travelling through regional areas and offer an unlimited text/calls plan for $20/month with 2.5gb of data. Aldi don't have the full Telstra coverage but you would probably only notice if you spent time in regional areas. Only thing with the Boost plans is that they are 28 day expiry unless you set up an automatic top up. If you go the auto top up it's a full calendar month.

12. bangmango

bangmango Member

Thats what i dislike about these 28 days plan..wtf..why..?

13. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

I have an auto recharge set up on the 15th of each month, but i didn't stop to realize that Aldi was not giving access to the full telstra service, which would explain the cheaper cost, but i don't go regional that often anyway, and here in Tassie anything that uses telstra would be better than Vodafone in regional areas, not sure how Optus compares tho.

14. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I imagine it's easier with their systems to count every 28 days rather than varying calendar months.

15. chook

chook Member

I use Aldi because they use the Telstra network (or most of it). At my parent's house which is a little out of town unless you are on Telstra the reception is terrible. I get great signal there.

My plan is the M plan for $20 a month which I have never gone over but I think that usage is going to differ from individual to individual. I was in Hobart a few weeks ago and my employer uses Optus which had good reception. I didn't leave Hobart at all though.

16. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

But it's not access to the full Telstra network though is it? So you get lesser coverage in regional areas yeah?

17. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Yes once you head way inland there's a big difference. Esssenially no difference along the coast

18. chook

chook Member

Correct, the coverage map is on this page: https://www.aldimobile.com.au/faq/. My parents are only about 300km inland from the coast so not what I consider regional at all. Even then unless you are on the Telstra network the coverage is sketchy. I get perfect reception using Aldi on my phone but using Optus on my work phone doesn't get great reception.

19. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yep, still a pretty good option given the prices.

20. OP
    OP
    glenpinn

glenpinn Member

I have the Aldi Small, 1.5gb data and unlimited Text/Calls for $15p/m and its great, shits on any vodafone service no matter where you go.

https://www.aldimobile.com.au/plans/valuepacks/

My Wife and Daughter are on the Kogan 365 day plans, which use Vodafone, and they can't get a signal in our house all the time, and we are 15km from Hobart and 2km from the main highway, although i have to admit that the closest tower is 2km away, and there are 2 big hills between us and that tower, but it still shows you haw bad vodafone is.

Tasmania has a lot of areas with little to no reception, and i know Voda does not work up the east coast very well, some say it does not work at all, but a friend is on the Aldi plan and they get good reception.