cheap NAS for NUC

Discussion in 'HTPC' started by AviPC, Dec 27, 2019.

1. AviPC

AviPC Member

Hi Guys,
    i have seen threads for NAS and Plex but i do not want Plex.
    I already have NUC which can play 4K and i got 2 x 8TB USB HDD but if any disk fails then loosing 8TB collection is bit scary. i have 2 options -
    Buy 2 bay NAS and put 8TB x 2 disks - 16TB storage but data loss is great in case of loosing a disk
    Buy 4 bay NAS and put 8TB x 4 disks - RAID1 so disk failure is not a problem but very expensive solution.
    Buy 4 bay NAS and put 8TB x 4 disks - RAID5 so disk failure is not a problem but very expensive solution and RAID rebuild takes forever.

i am not after any encoding or anything. my NUC can take care of that. i just need cheap storage which i can access over LAN and should cover disk failure.

2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

With ZFS or BtrFS you don't need a RAID controller, and rebuild times only affect the missing blocks, not the entire file system, so they're much faster.

The only expense there are your drives. The hardware needed to do the RAID calc and network throughput is almost nothing.

You've got 16TB of data currently, so to fit that with redundancy you need 3x 8TB drives in RAID5.

XR6DAn likes this.