Cheap NAS Options For Plex

Discussion in 'HTPC' started by Deus_Ex_Machina, Jul 24, 2019.

1. bart5986

bart5986 Member

No they haven't. Cloud Based Storage for Plex is simply not possible unless you

1. Have a small collection, in which case literally any cheap box and a hard drive would be a cheaper and better solution.

2. Rely on Google for "unlimited" storage and access, which they can take away tomorrow and you would have no alternative service to move to.

Any other "unlimited" service closed down or changed their policies. Even the official plex cloud is no longer a thing.

I use google for backup, but not for an actual service.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  2. Copie

Copie Member

Wrong on all 3 counts.

Current online Plex server has 400tb of content and growing daily, serving 20 users

3. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Ok then, which online provider thats not google are you using to host 400TB? And how much does it cost?

4. Copie

Copie Member

You have access to google search. Use it

5. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Thats pretty stupid because most providers that claim unlimited are not unlimited.

I'm just going to assume you are making it up because you could have already said it, but you didn't.

6. Copie

Copie Member

No. I’m just not going to spoon feed you information.

[​IMG]

7. newynut

newynut Member

My internet speed is to slow to play a 4 k movie. I have to download the whole file first.

8. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I wasn't aware that we were comparing penis sizes.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  9. chip

chip Member

That hostname resolves to an IP in a netblock owned by AS53667 FranTech Solutions, is your 400tb storage co-lo'd or are you buying it through their BuyVM business? Or are you just using that IP as a proxy for a VM/storage located somewhere else?

flu!d and Dilbery like this.
  10. Copie

Copie Member

Cool story

11. Copie

Copie Member

IP is a proxy.

12. bart5986

bart5986 Member

So now we are playing the Copie guess the server game because he doesn't actually have a viable 400TB Google Drive alternative.

I'm betting Copie just buys an existing Plex library like Elysium as he can't do it himself.

13. Copie

Copie Member

Wrong on both accounts. Again, you have google. Do your own fucking research. Plenty of people are running identical setups. You think I’m competent enough to build a setup like this without a guide? Wake up to yourself

14. bart5986

bart5986 Member

No you are just being vague so that nobody can figure out you are lying.

Either that or you are just an idiot.

No, I don't think you are competent at all.

15. Copie

Copie Member

Lol no. Why would I lie? I have 650tb server at home already, but it’s more cost effective to have a cloud based solution. There is entire sub forums dedicated to the subject

16. bart5986

bart5986 Member

What does the hard drives you've decided to buy at home have to do with a 400TB google drive alternative?

Nothing at all.

The reason I know I'm right is because 400TB can not be rented for $15 a month or anywhere close so your only hope is to use a big brand provider like google willing to run at a loss for specific customers.

Sure, maybe you've jumped onto a new startup that has yet to tighten their terms of service so they can kick you off, but you've mentioned 400TB cloud storage service that isn't google and now its a super big secret...:rolleyes:

17. Copie

Copie Member

Who said it was 15/month? The Sydney based hosting server alone is 60+/month let alone the storage portion of the server.

18. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Wait so your entire logic for saying that everyone has moved their plex servers to cloud based storage.. is paying insane hosting costs? And you think everyone is doing it too?

Yes, and I drink a $100 bottle of wine every night... you don't? :lol:

news just in.. if you pay what a server and storage is worth, you'll get what you paid for! :lol:

The only actual people who might be doing what you are doing, but very much likely going for cheaper solutions, will be reselling their plex access on reddit etc.

It seems like anyone "worth their salt" would not be doing something stupid like wasting a ton of money on plex hosting.

19. Copie

Copie Member

Stop dribbling shit. At no point did I mention the cost. The price I pay per month is comparable to operating a 650tb+ server once you factor in the power cost, replacement of hard drives and other hardware over a period of 4 years

20. bart5986

bart5986 Member

You said
    There is an assumption of a reasonable cost that comes with that. Your $60 per month + storage is not anywhere close to worth it for a plex server owner that is not reselling.

I very much doubt its worth it, but i bet you won't post the figures anyway.

I guess I should rephrase what I said originally

Cloud Based Storage for Plex is simply not possible unless you

1. Have a small collection

2. Rely on google drive.

3. Spend insane amounts of money for someone else to host it to the point where I don't even see the point of a plex server.

It all makes sense now though, the reason why you were refusing to give up the details is because the insane cost makes it pointless. You won't even give up the actual hosting information because its so high.

Dilbery likes this.