Cheap NAS Options For Plex

Discussion in 'HTPC' started by Deus_Ex_Machina, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Copie

Copie Member

Given 650tb in drives alone is going to run you 35k or so, add in another 3k for base components, another 800 for a UPS, 400w of base power load at 25c/kw gives you around 720/month running cost. That is of course not including a backup solution. I pay a shitload less then that for the cloud system.

So yeah, kindly fuck off back to your box

2. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Without a source there is no way to validate your claims.

Oh right, let me just google your specific provider magically :rolleyes:

You are pretty delusional in what you think are normal numbers and your plex server isn't even that big.

I have no idea why you even entered this thread to give some supposed "advice"

3. Copie

Copie Member

I’m not here to fucking spoon feed you information. Learn to fucking google, there is dozens of guides on how to build an online cloud solution for Plex, including various pieces on providers for different price points. Obviously you lack the brain cells to open a browser tab and look yourself. The members here on OCAU who are on my Plex server don’t seem to complain, and they can all stream at original quality no problems

4. bart5986

bart5986 Member

You want me to google to find your specific provider? What is wrong with you?

And your response is "oh look at all these people streaming on my plex server" Who cares? Who wants to know? Nobody.

You've obviously come here to feel important and pretend like you have something special. Every single one of your posts screams "I have something and you don't have it" the problem is nobody wants your garbage.

You pay an insane amount of money for a below average plex server and you want to brag... why don't you go make a new thread instead of filling this one up with your stupid mysterious bullshit.

flu!d likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

So this is the finished product. After selling my old GPU and a $550 spend hunting down parts I now have an upgraded main rig and a tidy little server made of quality gear so happy with the result.

Main rig upgrades:
    MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
    Ryzen 2600 + Wraith Prism
    16GB Patriot Ballistix Sport DDR4 3200
    Gigabyte GTX 1660
    Corsair RM650X
    Adata SX8200 512GB SSD

Server Build
    Deepcool Tessaract
    Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3R-B3
    Intel 2600K + CM 212+
    16GB Kingsto Hyper X DDR3 1600
    ASUS Passive Radeon 5450
    Corsair HX620 (The Indestructable PSU)
    Crucial MX500 250GB
    3X 3TB WD Green (light use from old rig and popcorn hour media player)

Haven't built a system in years so had a blast with this :)

DSC06447.JPG DSC06448.JPG DSC06449.JPG

6. the_antipop

the_antipop Member

Hey Deus, Just curious to know what O/S you'll be running with your new build?
    I'm in exactly the same boat. Put together the server build in my sig, mainly from parts sourced from e-waste at the tip. I've currently got Server 2016 installed on a 120gb ssd - but not sure if that's the best option for a plex/file server? What are you running?

7. OP
    OP
    Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

I have been building PC's for 20 years but have pretty limited networking knowledge mate. For now I'll just be piloting Win10 to stay in line with the other two terminals. It will only be streaming movies and storing photos and general files as an archive. Might play with Ubuntu or Freenas down the track but am fairly time poor nowadays. Can't spend a whole weekend playing and learning a new OS like days gone by :)

the_antipop likes this.