1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Cheap & Nasty Android Tablets: Recommend your piece of c#$p!

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by DarkStyle, Mar 14, 2012.

1. kombiman

kombiman Dis-Member

I have a hero2 10inch with jellybean on it and although it's only a couple of days I reckon it's sensational for $157!

2. joerandom

joerandom Member

3. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

I was one of the few to score the Freelander PD80 from dx. Quite a nice tablet til I woke up and the sucker bricked itself, stuck on the Allwinner A31 boot screen. PhoenixSuite doesnt want to update the firmware, says the ones I have are too old. Somehow I go it to get the the settings screen once but my PC doesnt have a card slot so I couldnt put the firmware on, I since have but with no volume buttons I cannot select to recover off external SD. Fuck, off to Dark Mofo to drink away the problem. :)

4. datfreak

datfreak Member

I'm just about to buy a Ainol spark here: HERE

It on special - comes to about $240 delivered.

I know the spark has had bad press about the wifi strength but that seems to be fixed now.

Should I buy this, or would that $240 be in better use on another 10' tab(if so pls suggest!)?

5. MB403

MB403 Member

i just ordered the novo 10.1 captain.. really wanted the extra battery. ordered on monday night from ainol-tablet.com but order has yet to ship..

$189 plus $31 shipping

6. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

That tablet's hardware is the same as the Freelander PD80HD, just the front and rear cameras are in a different spot. I have got my tablet working again and will test that firmware on mine. As for wifi is OK but not fast but that could be due to dodgey apps that I have gotten rid of...
    bwahahaha got a notification in Chinese with a scantilly clad women pop up, I might keep this firmware for shits and giggles.

Click to view full size!

All I can say it is wasnt bad for $110 delivered (dx special). I do have the ainol cover on mine hiding the cameras.

7. datfreak

datfreak Member

Daft - thats a great deal esp inc post! its back to $218inc now :(

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  8. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

It was their 50% off special that they got smashed on, I didnt complain and just waited it out. Came with a screen protector applied which saved me screwing up a few. Quite a nice tablet minus bluetooth.

Example of wifi, currently shouse sitting a 1900 terrace, access point is at one end of the house upstairs and I can get a signal downstairs at the other end (20m) through a double brick wall. I have found it best when resting the tablet on a table and not hold the case. If I hold it near the antenna is drops a little. Please note that the firmware between the Ainol/FX9/Freelander are similar and you can use them. I am still learning a bit about Android tablets.

Edit: found the source of the dodgey notification, AirAttackHD phoning home when wifi is on and it also auto starts with the tablet. Message was to get me to install Opera.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  9. JohnnyWazza

JohnnyWazza Iron Photographer

Anyone have thoughts on the Pipo M8Pro? Tossin up between this and the Spark, and the net seems to have lots of good things to say about the Pipo.

10. MB403

MB403 Member

looks great untill you see the battery..

although i have herd good things about PiPo

11. MB403

MB403 Member

12. super kermit

super kermit Member

I am looking too.

7" - to use as a photo frame only. It just needs good resolution for photos and wifi to link into the network to gain access to photos. I will be putting this into a modded wooden photo frame.

max spend is $80 AUS

10" - for the kitchen with wifi. For internet radio (cable into a dock), recipes and watching videos etc while making food.

max spend is $150 AUS.

I have been looking on ebay and so far I think I need (same specs for both?)

wifi
    Android 4.1

Any help would be great.

13. mike-s

mike-s Member

I just put down $130 for a fuhu nabi Jr including courier delivery from NYC to my door. Dual core, decent speed, good battery life. (after they fixed a hardware bug on the old version ). Nt nice to set to the kid, play with this ( even if play is start random apps and task manager ), don't break daddy's phone. Please.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  14. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

The Kindle Fire HDX and HDX8.9 looks like a hell of a tablet for the money. Only issue is that there isn't much in the way of custom ROMs yet, and you'll want a custom ROM after using Amazon's hacked up idea of Android. With CM10.2 on it though, it'll be a winner over the Nexus 7 and the likes. Sure, there are some cheaper chinese tablets, but you get what you pay for, especially when it comes to the quality of the software you get on it.

15. RAtSAcK

RAtSAcK Member

Any cheap tablets around 7" that have a GPS? Want something for 4WD'ing.

16. Slugoid

Slugoid Member

Most tablets will have GPS, but not many will have GPS+GLONASS, which is what you want. I would recommend getting the Nexus 7 2013 wifi. Probably cost a bit more than your yum cha brand tablets but it's got GPS+GLONASS so it's more accurate and fast. I've tried other devices without GLONASS and the lock-on times are really slow, especially in CBD areas.

17. RAtSAcK

RAtSAcK Member

Would an original Nexus 7 be fine? I don't want to spend too much money considering how it's gonna be treated.

18. Slugoid

Slugoid Member

GPS is fine on it's own. No problems at all if you're going to use it out in the open. For me, living mostly with high rise buildings all around, GPS+GLONASS is much better and accurate.

19. datfreak

datfreak Member

Aldi 10.1 3g/wifi @ $250 HERE
    or
    Ainol fire @ $240ish (delivered) HERE

Aldi pros:
    Local , shop has great return policy
    1.2 quad core (the fire is only 1 I think)
    No wait - goto shop and get

Ainol pros:
    4k retina screen 2048*1536 vs 1280 x 800
    2gb mem
    10000 mah battery vs 6000mAh
    product name makes me giggle

which one to get?

20. RAtSAcK

RAtSAcK Member

I ended up getting a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7" off the forums for $110. Seemed a much better idea then getting a Chinese tab and not having any custom ROM support or support at all. Would've loved a Nexus 7 but I'm impatient and the Tab 2 isn't that much worse off anyway.

Should be perfect for what I want. :thumbup: