1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Cheap & Nasty Android Tablets: Recommend your piece of c#$p!

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by DarkStyle, Mar 14, 2012.

1. super kermit

super kermit Member

2. mike-s

mike-s Member

I bought a Fuhu Nabi Jr for our kid as even though he is only a young one, he still LOVES playing with my old phone (Samsung Galaxy S2) and I figured I could use it for him as something to play with and for him to learn with as he gets older and in the process avoid him destroying a perfectly good phone or dialing emergency services with it.

Initial impressions are good, Hardware wise the screen has good daylight visibility and the cpu seems snappy enough. The build quality seems quite solid with no flexing of the plastic at all and all the seams are very clean. Software wise the parent/child mode seems quite good too. I need to play with it a bit more and see how it goes but I get a positive feeling from using it thus far.

Including courier costs it was $134 delivered directly from the manufacturer.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  3. Ace of Aces

Ace of Aces Member

Does anyone know if the new Samsung Galaxy 10.1 (2013 version) is any good?

I know the previous 10.1 was riddled with lag. Heard the 2013 version was basically lag-free. Is this true?

Want to replace my iPad 1 with something that's more responsive and with more features. Also a stylus would be a nice addition.

4. kangathekat

kangathekat (Banned or Deleted)

without having to go thru the whole thread wondering if you guys can help me out to see if this is possible.

after tablets for the nieces for xmas, their mother only wants to spend about $100 each and wants something thats android and can download games etc (playstore or whatever) and can be locked etc so parental controls.

im guessing with this budget max i'll be able to get is about 7"?

both the girls are young (one is 6 the other 4) but they both steal our phones all the time and know how to use them to play games etc so they would be able to use them fairly easily.

any advice?

5. Ace of Aces

Ace of Aces Member

I'm highly considering to get the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition. Been hearing great reviews about it.

Will probably pick one up next week.

6. petercr

petercr Member

Got Ms11yo (that's her in my avatar nearly 9 years ago) a Hisense Sero 7 Pro from JB for her birthday recently - was $148 and it works fine. It's apparently an almost-copy of the 2012 Nexus 7 except it has the bonus of an HDMI output and a microSD slot and includes GPS functionality.

Cheap - yes but not dirt cheap
    Crap - certainly doesn't appear to be

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  7. kangathekat

kangathekat (Banned or Deleted)

Sweet ill check it out, but ran into a bit of an issue as my brother doesn't have net on at his place yet so no wifi lol. Maybe looking at a bigger budget if they need to get 3g tablets

8. sanjay

sanjay Member

my mate got one of these when we were in the US earlier this year, from walmart. cost about $150USD. was a bargain at the time (even better deal at $148AUD). he liked it because it is functionally nearly identical to the original nexus 7 but has a microSD card slot. probably won't be anywhere near as good at getting fast updates though. :(

9. Revenger

Revenger Member

$17 android 4.4.2 16GB tablet, I'm tempted but it doesn't look right.

I think he left a 0 off the end.

Seems there's a bunch of them around that cost obviously fakes and scams.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

So did you buy one? :D

11. Revenger

Revenger Member

I don't think im gaim enough to try to grab one.

Im pretty sure they are a scam those low cost ones like that.

Considuring my dad was looking at the same one at $100

12. clonex

clonex Member

Plenty of scams on ebay lately

13. kombiman

kombiman Dis-Member

I nearly did for shits and giggles to play with until the nexus 9 comes out but chickened out pre paying

14. Revenger

Revenger Member

I'm happy with my Nexus 10 and I hope it gets L when released as its coming up to the point google will stop supporting it.

Whats a decent low cost all rounder nowadays with tablets?

My dad emailed me today asking for a cheap 10 inch tablet.

He wouldn't do much email, web browsing in bed, books thats about it really he may try to use for youtube and watching things even though he claims he doesn't do that.

He would want a GPS for mapping software out of interest, and I know anything less than a 1.5ghz cpu won't support maps properly without lagging somewhat.

I would think 1280x800 would be fine as its a standard rez that tablet android is being designed to, all cheaper ones are only 1024x600.

The os he hopes to get latest 4.4.2 but I know anything above 4.2 is decentish nowadays.

And he wants all this to be cheap but I would say personally $250 max myself on something basic especially as cheaper ones have poor features like screen size and know anything good is over that, he thinks $100 is good enough for all this to get something really great at 10 inch.

So recommend me something for him.

15. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Always get your money back off PP ; )

16. Revenger

Revenger Member

There is that but its a obvious scam and the seller would leave a negative hurting my 100% good feedback I managed to maintain and teal star.

Plus I wouldn't want to wait a month to find out.

Also paypal will not be able to help if the product comes DOA as under Australian law you cannot return the product due to the lithium batteries rule I learned that a couple years back but for $17 its something you need to be prepared to write off for a bit of fun.

17. Revenger

Revenger Member

I found this PiPo tablet and recommended it to my dad as he will not find anything similar especially on ebay in Australia as those sellers sell the cheap mass market chinese ones with low specs.

It ticks all the boxes for him GPS etc and even has a 1920x1200 pixel screen for a good price of $227 and can be rooted and has a English firmware update as standard.

I recommended he get this one as there may be other manufacturers with similar specs but will take a long time to find them.

Anyone know how good PiPo are with build quality?

18. tonner78

tonner78 Member

Looking for a cheap 7" tablet to buy for the kids - anyone got any suggestions?

Currently being tempted by the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 Lite 7.0 - only $129 at Kogan.

Any other good suggestions?

19. Revenger

Revenger Member

I'm now officially looking for a 10 inch tablet at around $300

I managed to convince my dad that the $100 weren't going to cut it he says he can go up to around $300 - $330 and I can do whatever extra which I can do about 100-150 or so myself I guess but also need to pay for dinner for him for helping me on things and his birthday $100, so a total of about $500 we have to play with on the tab I guess 'the lower cost the better' and the Google Nexus 10 is out of stock :(

So now I need a tablet that does these things. We were thinking of trying the Pipo P9 but don't know how good they are.

At least:
    • Good resolution
    • GPS
    • Good CPU
    • 16GB
    • Android 4.4 or around
    • Wifi

Optional:
    • HDMI
    • Most other things

Most other things.

Recommend me something and whoever pick the tab I go with I'll think about doing a favour or something to thank whoever etc.

So far I'm looking but getting muddled and confused at what's out there etc.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  20. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

I've been to numerous JB HiFi outlets recently that all had the Nexus 10 in stock....