1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Cheap & Nasty Android Tablets: Recommend your piece of c#$p!

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by DarkStyle, Mar 14, 2012.

1. kombiman

kombiman Dis-Member

Yeah but ainol have just changed screen manufacturer, hitachi to lg and there are new ranges expected out soon.

2. hobo man

hobo man Member

Nothing against Ainol at all, as I said just avoid their lower end stuff and go with the "higher end" stuff.

I have a basic, and am happy with it for most simple tasks, but in hindsight, I would have been much better off with one of the higher end ones with a better screen (800x480 on a 7" tablet is not cool) and arm based cpu.

3. benderbot

benderbot Member

I just ordered an Aurora 7" tab today $149.99 :) not a bad price really. I plan on using it as a couch tablet and controlling my mediacenter.

4. JebusJones

JebusJones Member

I bought an Ainol a while ago and it's a piece of shit, I can't recall the exact model but I wasn't careful and got one with a MIPS processor which meant it can't actually even download and run 99% of Android apps - completely fucking pointless.

I too wanted to just use it as a basic browser and HTPC remote but it can't do either of those well at all.

Waste of the $150 I spent on it, but caveat emptor.

I now have an Asus TF300 - spending the extra dosh is definitely worth it.

5. danyell

danyell Member

Hi bb,

Where'd you order from? Includes shipping? I'm looking at http://www.uplaytablet.com/ainol-no...-ips-hd-screen-1gb-ram-camera-hdmi-white-8gb/ for the spec etc but that's a bit more expensive.

That site also talks about firmware for Chinese and English releases but I imagine it could be bullshit (something about reverting to Chinese on reboot unless it's specifically the overseas model?)

6. benderbot

benderbot Member

I ordered from www.spemall.com with free shipping, it's on sale there until the 15th of June. They have the English one available also but even if I end up with a Chinese one I plan on re-flashing a custom rom onto it that's english and fully optimized. There are many online comunities that have released roms for these little tabs :) . Of all the ainol tabs this has definitely been the best spec and build quality. With a 1.2ghz processor and 400mhz Gpu on board it should be more than capable of page surfing and being a media center remote :D I think it may end up being used as a game tab for shutting the kids up... I mean keeping them entertained, lol

I'll let you know how it works when it arrives :D

7. danyell

danyell Member

Thanks for that, mate! Think I'll grab one from there myself, I hadn't come across that store in my search. Definitely the best price I've seen, still need to decide if it'll be the 8gb or 16gb model, though. I'm thinking the latter just for loading up a few tv shows etc when travelling.

The Aurora certainly looks like the current pick of the cheapies, should be able to handle everything I need for now! Thanks for the info about the firmware and stuff.

8. benderbot

benderbot Member

No problem :) I am expecting mine very soon, cant wait!

9. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Got an Ainol Novo 7 in my hands right now (bought for GF). Gotta say it is superb value, but feels fragile (nothing broken yet...) and the stock software is garbage (head to slatedroid to update it to a better version). Makes a good ereader and general purpose tablet though - just trying to get skype to work at the moment! I got mine from Chinagrabber for $132. I wouldn't recommend this to a non-techie though, it's pretty much useless without rooting and custom ROMs.

Also - the viewing angles on the screen are pretty bad. Not a quality screen, especially when you put it next to my Galaxy S2 or HP Touchpad. I wonder what the Aurora is like..

PS: Ainol - change your brand name, for christs sake! :wired:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  10. Chamelion

Chamelion Member

Bwahahahahha. A good man is one who gives his girlfriend an Ainol.

11. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Haha yeah, good thing she loves it ;)

Her tablet, that is... :lol:

12. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

but what does she think of the android tablet? :lol:

13. benderbot

benderbot Member

Well I got my aurora :) have to say I am pretty impressed with it! it's quite a speedy little tablet for its size, web browsing is smooth, I played 720p video without glitching, games work fine! All I could ask for really :) my mate has just ordered 2 through www.spemall.com I think they are clearing them now $147.90 each, not bad.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  14. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

For all these cheap and nasty devices they can be rooted just like the regular more exxy tabs right? I have a sammy 10.1 but just thinking about nabbing a cheap one to mess around with various roms...

15. kombiman

kombiman Dis-Member

Aurora $135 delivered

I have one and have been using it to get a feel of android, re-romming etc It's also a great reader, for watching movies on and generic browsing,

16. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Yes, slatedroid should help you out. It's harder to flash because there isn't as much development and support, but I'm running Elfish 0.3 and it seems good so far. I may set it up a little bit and share a nandroid backup with OCAU :thumbup:

Edit: $132 on dealsprime (formally chinagrabber) for the aurora here

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  17. benderbot

benderbot Member

It arrived! very happy with it indeed, My wife now wants some Ainol action too ;) went with www.spemall.com again, its now $147.90 so a little cheaper than my last order.

18. tonylee5566

tonylee5566 Member

19. danyell

danyell Member

Nice one!

If the wife also wants her own, you know you're on a winner :) spemall throw in the screen protector too, don't they? Applied it yet?

How does the build quality feel? solidly constructed, not too much flex or creaks and moans from the casing?

I didn't pull the trigger yet. Europe holiday is looming (ok, August) and I want to be prepared, so I better jump soon eh!

20. benderbot

benderbot Member

Yes they do provide a free protector, I have put it on and still seems pretty responsive.

It is rather well put together! It not a Samsung or apple, but definitely well put together for its price. Not any creaks in my one, but i know that people have complained of this... i think it was mostly the earlier models

All in all very happy! and also happy with spemall's service, will be sure to use and recommend them to everyone :)