Cheap & Nasty Android Tablets: Recommend your piece of c#$p!

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by DarkStyle, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Revenger

Revenger Member

I have a qtarz bt1000 gps which is a excellent gps but couldn't get it to pair properly on my android 2.3 phone and the bluretooth gps pairing apps in the market didn't work.

If bluetooth gps's are now supported under 4 as from android 3 they allowed usb host then I could use the qstarz.

Have revised the specs above as a result.

2. phantompisser

phantompisser Member

I grabbed an acer iconia for $220 delivered a few weeks ago from MLN for a friend . There are deals to be had from time to time .

Also pretty sure non of the cheap chinese tablets have GPS .

3. mike-s

mike-s Member

I'll say it again, Dell Streak 7. Sure the battery life sucks and it has a low screen resolution, but if you buy the correct model it has 3G connectivity as well as gps (also the bluetooth works well with honeycomb) and the tegra2 processor is quite snappy, especially if you disable all the built-in crapware. And most importantly bought on ebay they often come in under the magic $200 marker

4. sympozium

sympozium Member

A question for the tablet wizards: Whats the best sub $200 tablet with bluetooth these days? I have a dropad A8x which is not bad and has an alluminium shell but no development :(

Edit: 802.11a (for 5ghz 802.11n) would be a nice feature but I can only find it in the xoom

I've got a qstarz as well and use "Bluetooth GPS Provider" by mobile-j.de on my dropad (android 2.3), it even has support for the MTK api

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  5. OnGsTa

OnGsTa Member

Played with the Ainol Flame over the weekend. (doesn't sound too good lol)

PROS:
    - small sized, much easier to use than an Ipad
    - battery life is pretty good, watched 3-4x 1 hour episodes of suits via HDMI connection before it hit 5% (the screen on the tablet doesn't automatically turn off, it stays on)
    - built in HDMI is good, don't have to muck around with loading up HTPC or plugging in laptop + charger
    - stock rom was a bit messy, loaded the Flambe rom posted above and it was a really simple process (download rom, transfer to microSD card, reboot into CWM, update)
    - microSD support is good
    - micro USB makes charger, connecting to computer easy
    - screen is great, a matte finish screen protector will go very well with this

CONS:
    - speaker pop is a little annoying
    - sometimes the "home" button doesn't respond on first hit when the tablet is in sleep mode, takes two hits
    - built in HDMI is mini-HDMI, adapter required and one wasn't included in packaging
    - don't know if it's an Android thing or the fact that the hardware can't keep up; but the 'lag' that I've seen on display tablets also occurs on this unit

All in all though, pretty happy for $150. Will work perfectly as a unit I can simply watch movies on on the train ride home, and the plug-n-play-n-transfer simplicity and not having to deal with iTunes is why I got it in the first place.

6. Revenger

Revenger Member

I'll check that out but on my MTK 2.3.2 I tried a few providers and was always stuck at pairing as it never accepted the 0000 code for some reason.

Still stuck at pairing I think my phone doesn't like to pair with the device.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  7. Slugoid

Slugoid Member

I had a play with some demo units on the weekend too and was rather impressed with the features, especially the screen, for such a price. Was close to buying one too but the overall build quality, the thickness and the minor software lag wasn't really want I was after. In the end I went for the Nexus 7 because I was looking something that was smaller that could match up with my old iPad 2.

I have to agree that 7" is way better for commuting than a 10" and Android means no iTunes and will open whatever you throw at it, be it movies, music, apps or ebooks.

8. munka

munka Member

Tried it and had issues with Skype, I'm told the latest builds fix that. The other issue I had was battery life, again, they say there are fixes but I'll give it a few more weeks.

Hopefully a mod of th Crystal firmware will be ou next week and a week to turn it into CM10 and we are away!

9. munka

munka Member

The lag is gone when you install a Jellybean variant on it (apeaking about my Aurora here not the Flame). Problem is that Jellybean ports are still a little experimental, but I give it 2-3 weeks at the rate they are improving before you can find one that is stable.

10. El Nermo Diablo

El Nermo Diablo Member

Cancelled my order for the Novo7 Flame from spemall.com. Ill source something else now (or from somewhere else).

One month after order and still hasn't been dispatched. They can go DIAF. :wired:

11. Revenger

Revenger Member

So in the end I'm getting the 'Cube U30GT-H' 32gb black version and I hope its good.

I'll be sure to post my thoughts in this thread.

12. bjornzzz

bjornzzz Member

Do keep us informed, I'm interested in knowing how it turns out. :) And do check if it's IPS or MVA. Flash it to JB and see how it performs. Whereabouts did you get it from?

On a side note, the order I put through from aliexpress (fancy team) on the 4th September was only just despatched yesterday. Long bloody wait, but if it's from the rumoured 15th September everything-sort-of-fixed batch, then it might as well be a worthwhile wait. If not, shame on me. Will keep thread informed though :)

13. Revenger

Revenger Member

Its IPS as the place I got it from state they do not stock or sell the MVA model.

Getting the 4.1 upgrade installed by the seller and I asked for a copy of the stock and 4.1 roms zipped up to the device for my own backup if I want to re-install as I will try some custom roms also.

You guys are going to shudder at where I got it from but cube-tablet.com, There price is decent, communication on email was ok and read other people buying from there with no issues unlike spemall and they have it in stock.

I know its a gamble on seller but I haven't really heard anything bad about them apart from that whoever the guy is owns a bunch of domains for various tablets at (Name)-tablet.com which one could mistake for being official and abunch of people around on the android forums that find that abit iiffy and wouldn't trust them.

Cost all up was $235.44 with express shipping there was not much difference at all between 16gb and 32gb in cost and same for normal to express shipping.

Before I purchased I loaded up my other system and set the resolution to native 1280x800 to see what it would be like for pdf's etc and I would not want to go any lower for the pdf's I have as its just readable having the full page on screen in portrait mode.

I would love to go higher though as pdf's I have need a little larger than that and will see what Surface Pro has to offer in a month.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  14. bjornzzz

bjornzzz Member

Haven't personally heard of the website, but will be interesting to see how things pans out, should be fine though. The price is very decent for express shipping + 32gb, and if it is the IPS screen then it is a winner. However if I were you I would still check for IPS vs MVA, as plenty of sellers (especially chinese sellers) would say just about anything to get their stock moving.

As for the 1200*800 reso on PDF, I would imagine 1200*800 on a 24" compared to a 10.1 to be different. The amount of pixels might be the same but it's just the matter of how stretched it gets.

15. Revenger

Revenger Member

Was running my monitor at 1-1 pixel mapping just to get a feel of the real size etc and its a nice size at 1.1 the screen and would be happy with it but thats also to say scaling of 1-1 to 10 inch.

The text wasn't too readable unless I ran it at 120-150% in adobe as there pdf's of game guide scans.

Some of those are pretty crappy scans as it is.

16. armbarcrash

armbarcrash Member

Bought my 5 year old one of the $99 Pendo 7" jobs from Coles.

A bit of fluffing about and I got it rooted with Google Play installed. The screen's pretty average, the WiFi unreliable and it looks cheap..but it's for a 5 year old, so who cares!

It can run Angry Birds, Where's Wally and it plays AVI's just fine so it'll be a winner present :)

17. clonex

clonex Member

So can i put JB on my aurora 2?

18. Pat

Pat Member

Currently stuck in hospital so have been giving my ainol aurora 2 a lot of use. Bit disappointed with the battery life, seems to only last about 4 hours playing movies and games, but other then that it is going very well. Still on stock rom but no crashes and it plays every media I throw at it.

19. Pat

Pat Member

I thinks there is some people working of JB releases they are pretty new still, I have not heard of a decent working version yet, but by the sound of the comments of slatedroid it will come.

20. El Nermo Diablo

El Nermo Diablo Member

And no sooner do I fire off the email the order goes from "Paid" to "Dispatched". Cheeky fuckers. Have a tracking number as well so I guess they pulled their finger out finally.