Cheap options for bulk SAS drives?

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by StratosFear, Mar 12, 2020.

1. StratosFear

StratosFear Member

Hey guys,

Hoping someone in the know can help me out here. I've got quite a few 6TB HGST SAS drives. Initially I assumed I could use them in my Synology DS918+ as it does say it supports SAS in the manual, but they don't detect at all when inserted. Looking at the Synology compatibility list (should have done that first) it says they are incompatible.

What would my cheapest option be to covert my PC to accept SAS? Any affordable options that can accept 4-12x drives? Or am I looking at sinking a bunch of money in?

I might just end on selling them if it turns out too expensive, but I figure if it's a reasonable price ($20-$30 per drive?) then I could look at embracing SAS...

Apologies if it's a stupid question but I've not worked with enterprise drives before.

2. power

power Member

did you buy them new?

return them. not worth your time.

Dear seller,

I clicked the wrong button.

please to be refunding.

3. OP
    OP
    StratosFear

StratosFear Member

:) No not new. They are ex enterprise that I got at a good price, but now trying to work out if it's worth pursuing or better to just cut my losses.

I'd even consider moving the DS918+ to a higher end nas that supports them but it looks like everything SAS is $1000+...

4. power

power Member

5. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Not cheap? they're a dime a dozen second hand. Get a bunch of LSI 9211-8i's or their (many) oem rebrandings, they're about $60-70 each, are reliable as hell, have excellent support on all platforms, etc. 8 ports 6bps sas. Will need breakout cables if you're not using backplanes, but those are cheap too

fellfrosh and ae00711 like this.
  6. luke o

luke o Member

If you want a project to learn stuff on look at FreeNAS, depends what you want to spend. Look on their forums, either grab yourself a relatively cheap Supermicro board and a low end Xeon or get a bog standard Core i3 and whatever board you want (supports ECC RAM).

Get whatever amount of RAM you want 8GB is bare minimum, 16GB would be better in ECC (sticks are not that expensive in DDR3). That's a good bare bones NAS, chuck a SAS card in it (or if you get the SuperMicro board you can get them with SAS onboard!).

7. wwwww

wwwww Member

Hp H221 = $80
    HP D2600 = $200 (12 bay 3.5")

There's no need for a new controller for mechanical disks. A 5 year old controller with a cache will handle them just fine.

ae00711 likes this.
  8. power

power Member

it's like i didn't suggest used or even link to one. being the OP is using clearly used drives i also thought this would be right up his alley too.

wtaf!?

9. wwwww

wwwww Member

This is the internet, if it's not included in your first four words, it's unsaid.

10. Stanza

Stanza Member

You might have to reset or them to get them recognised in your NAS

they are probably set up as 520byte sectors and need rejigging to be 512byte sectors

do a google search, Linux will be able to change them.... although that being said, you will need a pc or server with a sas controller to pop them into to be able to achieve the above.... but once changed if the NAS takes SAS drives.... it should then not have an issue with them

hitachi drives are good ... so worth the frig around to get them working

ae00711 likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    StratosFear

StratosFear Member

Thanks for the suggestion Stanza,

I'll definitely give it a go. Just go to grab a SAS controller which I may have at work I can use...

Yeah I thought the hitachi's would be good. That's why it would be sad to see them go to waste.

Cheers,

12. CountParadox

CountParadox Member

No need for them to go to waste, if you cant get them going pop them in the sale forums... or pm me... whichever is easier :)

13. OP
    OP
    StratosFear

StratosFear Member

Sorry I already put them to use and put the spares on the FS forums a couple of months back... they got snapped up :)

CountParadox likes this.
  14. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

I'm always in need for more drives. If you can't get em working send them my way. It'll go nicely in one of my 2.2PB SAN setup in my 'datacenter'. :D

Jokes aside though, SAS RAID controllers are cheap as fuck. OEM ones based off LSI chipsets can be had for as cheap as $20, some can be flashed to true IT/pass through mode LSI models with the right firmware, others not so much you're stuck with RAID only mode. Get couple SFF-8086 SAS to SAS cables for less than $25 shipped and you're golden.

The other thing you have to keep in mind with dropping pure enterprise/server drives be it SAS or SATA into your NAS is that the drives consume alot more power and put off more heat.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  15. OP
    OP
    StratosFear

StratosFear Member

That was one of my initial concerns but it turns out it's not that bad if built with power consumption in mind

A Western Digital Blue 6TB 5400 SATA uses 3.4W at Idle and 5.3W when R/W. Compared to my Hitatchi 6TB 7200 SAS drives they are 5.5W idle and 8.8W R/W

So 2-3W difference per drive.

My SAS NAS is consuming around 60W idle. That is with 8 SAS drives and 2 SSD's. Not the beefiest server by any stretch but it's on par with a Synology DS918+ for performance. And minimal increase in power usage (but double the amount of drives)

16. HobartTas

HobartTas Member

Is it that issue where you have to tape over the 3.3 V pin on enterprise drives, alternatively use a Molex to SATA power adapter that only has the 5V and 12V wires connected as shown in the linked PDF.

17. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

The Hitachi (basically WD) are bit more leniant with power and current draw. The Seagate Constellation ES.3 and Enterprise drives I use up to 1.1 and 1.3amps on the 12v rail. More than double what consumer equivalents use and 30% more than the commonly 0.75-0.9amps draw other competing enterprise drives use.

I've had to increase the cooling fan profile from auto to max on the Netgear hotswap dual bay NAS (used as a Plex Server) to compensate for the extra heat. Oh and its lot louder on seek.

StratosFear likes this.