Cheap prime wide angle lens

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by ERF, Feb 6, 2009.

1. ERF

ERF Member

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a little advice on cheap wide angle prime lenses.

Basically, I've revived my old 20D and I'm wanting a cheap prime lens that I can carry around on it and use as my knock about camera. I'm envisioning this camera will carried around into the ocean and other non camera friendly places, so my reasoning for cheap is that there is a possibility of it getting destroyed.

I'm looking for something preferably wider then 24mm to compensate for the crop factor and I'm not fussed by brand or quality too much.

Any suggestions?

2. two40

two40 Member

do you want auto focus or is manual ok? you can pick up a decent manual and converter for next to nothing.

3. Athiril

Athiril Member

I hd a 24mm f/2.8 i picked up for $10 i used on my 30D - sold it on

there are tonnes of cheap wide angle primes you can adapt to Canon EOS.

Though since they're full frame, I dont think there is a cheap 20mm...

there are canon fd 20mm on ebay usually under $300, you can use a (edit: glassless converter) converter but lose infinite focus, but gain it back through depth of field.

im sure a second hand 18-55 would be the cheapest option though, i picked up one yonks back off ebay for $80.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  4. OP
    OP
    ERF

ERF Member

hmm good idea, didn't think of the old fd lenses. I'll do some looking into it.

I was considering an 18-55 but was more looking for a prime lens.

I'll do some more research, but plans might be on hold as I've discovered the old 20D is now having issues with its memory card reader. Probably in protest to what I had planned for it.

Thanks for the advice - I'll look into it.

5. Gumby

Gumby Member

Whats cheap?

28mm f/1.8?

6. cavanor

cavanor Member

Id second an old canon fd with adapter. You should be able to get a decent fast manual lens for very little these days, all my canon lens have never been serviced and still work fantastically for lens that are well into their 30s.

7. Dropbear

Dropbear Member

got any decent examples.. im looking for a good sharp prime (manual focus) to take to NZ at the end of the year.

8. SupremeMoFo

SupremeMoFo Member

24, 28mm lenses != wideangle for DSLRs, especially for Canons. 16mm or shorter.

9. teegman

teegman Member

I'm with dropbear here, anything < 24mm and sharp, doesn't have to be fast or autofocus..

10. chilloutbuddy

chilloutbuddy Member

Forgedabbadit, if you find anything wide and cheap let me know, I'll take 6 just to trade.

Canon's *perceived* failure in the design of UWA's has turned people to heritage lenses because they are full frame and fit on their 5Ds and 1Ds's. There are many *OMG THE CORNER IS NOT SHARP ENOUGH* landscape shooters out there who dont trust the 16-35, 17-40 & Sigma 12-24 and push the alternatives prices up.

I reckon the widest you can go is the Oly 24/2.8 ($200).
    Oly is a good example, if you want the 21/3.5 its about $500, the 18/3.5 is $800-$1000. Same with Contax, Nikon and Pentax and ofcourse forget Leica.

11. sir_bazz

sir_bazz Team Papparazi

There's an old Sigma Superwide II 24mm f2.8 that usually sells for around $100-$150 and gets great reviews. A few samples here.

It's probably your best bet if you can track one down.

bazz.