cheap rx590 vs RTX 2060 or 2070 for 144p

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Mark Ryder, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Mark Ryder

Mark Ryder Member

Hi All,

tax time madness - I need to reduce my taxable a bit which nicely dovetails with a full platform upgrade.

So I'm moving from a i7-4770, 8gb, gtx 770, 240gb SSD

Proposed is a R7 2700X, 16 GB of DDR4 3200, M2 SSD 500 GB and new case and looking at going from a dual old 23.5 FHD monitor setup to a single 32-34 inch 144hz gaming monitor.
    I was going to put an RTX 2070 into it but not sure if the cost is really warranted.

- RX590's are super cheap currently ($350) and I am not a big FPS gamer but I am am wanting to get into unity/unreal games development and play around with some 3d stuff - cinema 4D or blender.

I have watched too many benchmarks now and tbh most of them seem the same to me but more importantly, I figure the $300 extra can maybe go to a better quality or bigger monitor rather than chasing FPS.

So in short I have budget for both, have long upgrade cycles 3 years or so just looking for a reccomendation for dual gaming/productivity either way.

2. OP
    OP
    Mark Ryder

Mark Ryder Member

Just for context the rx590 is 1/2 the price of the RTX2070

3. Jazper

Jazper Member

Just get the 2070. If money is no object and longevity is required.

4. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

Other than the reducing taxable income reason it's not a great time to buy nvidia higher end as there's no AMD competition to keep the prices decent, until Navi comes early July then Nvidia's 'super' tease will arrive with better value. To put in perspective you'll get about 50% better fps for twice the price buying the 2070. At $350 a 590 is a good value buy with the game bundle especially. But that said 590 is a only a just for 1440p you defnitely won't get 3 years out of it, 2070 might get close to. Also you mainly just use unreal engine that's always been faster/more optimized for nvidia. Unity should be fine on AMD.

Also I'd suggest just get a 2600 for now and overclock it, the new Zen2 is going to be a lot better for gaming and is out early July so I don't think a 2700x good value unless it gets at least a $100 price cut. Also consider spending extra on a 1tb M.2 instead of 500gb so you can run all the games off it, so much better

5. OP
    OP
    Mark Ryder

Mark Ryder Member

Cool, I will look into reconfiguring a bit, I did notice that scoptec have the Vega 64 for $599 seems to be about which is $200 cheaper than the 2070 so maybe an option.

Amazon has the 2700x for $417 which seemed like a decent reduction from $469-$499 (50th)..I was hoping that zen2 would reduce thesesignificantly but there hasn't been much movement since the announcement.

6. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

Keep in mind that vega 56 is a blower cooler so will be on the louder side. This is a decent deal on a 2070 if go for one of them after the 20% off comes to $700 inc post at computer alliance
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Gigabyt...m286e9743be:g:FlMAAOSwKJlc-hv~&frcectupt=true
    While your there you can get a 2700 or 2700x for cheaper than amazon eg.
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AMD-AM4...m2857aedf5a:g:rkwAAOSwEtRc-pO3&frcectupt=true
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AMD-AM4...m287ca43826:g:oFYAAOSw~y9c98GX&frcectupt=true
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AMD-AM4...m2857aedeba:g:3w4AAOSwePtc-pJc&frcectupt=true
    May still be worth getting the gold edition for the free games if they're of interest

7. OP
    OP
    Mark Ryder

Mark Ryder Member

Thanks,

I think all the ryzen cpus have the 2 free games anyway so it doesn't matter either way.. its really annoying all the usual places have specials on some items..I even considered a prebuilt sytem from techfast but once specced up to non lowest quality components they aren't any cheaper.

Maybe I should just pull the trigger on a ASUS ROG STRIX with RTX 2070 and extenal monitor at least then I don't have to agonise about every bit that goes into it :)

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/as...hz-gaming-laptop-i7-8gb-512gb-rtx2070-ac23007

now I think of it, it's proabbly the worst time to invest in components due to zen2 and upcoming stuff so maybe a lappy isn't a bad idea.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  8. nope

nope Member

1080ti craps on both and cheap used

9. OP
    OP
    Mark Ryder

Mark Ryder Member

Thanks guys for the advice and codes - system sorted and happy with the specs and pricing!, just got to wait for everything to arrive.

SnooP-WiggleS likes this.
  10. nope

nope Member

what u get fam?