1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

cheap steak aka oyster blade

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by shino, Apr 21, 2020.

1. shino

shino Member

heard this is the best steak you can get and it's also one of the cheapest?
    what the? watching some vids on this Jamie Oliver said he be happy never to eat fillet steak again if he could have blade steak and it's his secret. And butchers take home the oyster steak... flavourful, tender.
    I'm assuming it chewy?

it has a line of sinew

googlee:

Is flat iron steak tender?
    Flat Iron Steak. Extremely tender, well-marbled and flavorful and great for grilling. Cut from the Top Blade. Cutting method removes internal connective tissue from the whole Top Blade, allowing this cut to deliver as the second most tender cut.

2. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

I used to get blade steak and pork tenderloin all the time when they really was a lot cheaper and for blade steak, the cheaper price was worth dealing with the connective tissue. Fast forward a decade with Jamie and his TV mates using them in everything and it drove the price up. Might as well just get a normal steak now. Now I stick to chicken and mince with the occasional pork shoulder roast or beef silverside.

£17.90 for a kg of blade, that's $35 AUD. No wonder they're using it compared to stuff that costs $50 to $70 per kg in our money.

3. blankpaper

blankpaper Member

I go for flank steak these days. I like its flavour and more consistent than the variation I get when buying typical steak cuts like sirloin.

4. OP
    OP
    shino

shino Member

so what should I get? are these labelled flank steak? or oyster steak. and is it chewy? what's wrong with it? Is blade steak same as oyster steak?

5. argent

argent Member

Hmm, are you sure? Typical oyster blade steaks I've seen in Woolies/Coles are tough unless long braised. Certainly wasn't something I'd call 'extremely tender' at all - no where close! Flat iron steak is from a more tender (still not particularly tender - has some chew to it) part of the shoulder AFAIK so can be done as a steak....

shino likes this.
  6. blankpaper

blankpaper Member

If I'm not mistaken, blade is the same as oyster, both from the chuck (shoulder) section. Flank is from the abdomen. Steak of any cut can be chewy if it's average quality and if I was buying chuck/blade as a steak cut I'd try a better place first to get a better example of it. If I was buying blade/oyster from a supermarket I'd only use it in a stew, chances are it's average at best. Hit up a butcher (support local business too) and tell him your plans and see what he has.

7. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

It's actually called oyster blade... so yes.

JSmith

8. Active Snail

Active Snail Member

You'd think that given we have literally a millennia of experience slaughtering and consuming bovine behind us, some randomly unknown super tender cut wouldn't just jump out at us all of a sudden. So some parts of the animal being a lot more expensive than the another is pretty suggestive of how much more tender it is.

I know TV chefs bang on all of the time about about how tasty and inexpensive ox tail, blade, chuck, shin and ribs are but theyre not throw away cuts and havent been for a long time. Even ox tail was near $15 a kilo last time i saw it and its 50% bone!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  9. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

To be fair 'jumping out' is quite the right term. A more accurate term would be made popular by relativity TV. Lamb Shanks, Pork Belly, half cooked tiny meals on large plates, these things all existed before the likes of Master Chef, but it's because of the likes of Master Chef that people now think they are popular and stores charge 4x as much for them.

10. blankpaper

blankpaper Member

Remember when people went bananas over 'chicken oysters' on masterchef years ago? Seemed like a ton of recipes came in overnight about this new cut that magically appeared on a chook :lol:

11. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Lucifer steak...

[​IMG]

JSmith

12. Largosensei

Largosensei Member

sue vide?

13. Hater

Hater Member

sous vide

sous = under

vide = vacuum

hence the english word "void"

Phalanx and JSmithDTV like this.
  14. neRok

neRok Member

I've had oyster blade from Coles+Woolies in the past, and it is a nice steak. The flank steak I've had from Woolworths however, I could never get to cook good as a steak (frying, grilling, etc).

But here's the good thing about trying new food like these steaks - even if you fuck it up, and it's all chewy, you can still eat it! It's not like it's your last meal or something.

BTW, there are often differences in the terminology between US and Australian beef cuts. So if you're reading on predominately US forums, it's something to keep in mind.

shino likes this.
  15. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

The problem with meat is that two cows can vary greatly. Buying the same cut from the same butcher can often yield two different results. Sometimes people are put off when they get one tough cut and they never go back to it, but it could just as easily be the cow as it could be the cooking method.

Over the years we've had a few tough beasts, it happens, sometimes it can be picked, other times it can't. But when you freeze half a beast or more there isn't a lot too look forward to at the dinner table for a few months when you know the meat is tough.

shino likes this.
  16. ska'

ska' Member

Flank is my go-to cheap cut, just make sure you take all the sinue (white fat shit) off & remove the bead of fat running though the middle as it will never render out.

Madengineer likes this.
  17. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

I always get Oyster Blade. Find it quite easy to cook to my liking, and always comes out well. Very flavourful, cheap, and not a lot seem to actually buy it...

18. OP
    OP
    shino

shino Member

any thoughts on gravy beef?

19. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

I only use that is stew or something that gets slow cooked

20. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Gravy beef is shin, same thing as osso bucco just off the bone. Great for anything slow cooked, but it NEEDS to be slow cooked.