Cheapest CPU/Chipset supporting >32GB Memory

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by frupert, Jan 21, 2016.

1. frupert

frupert Member

I am needing to put together a small redis farm, which means that I need lots of memory in comparison to CPU. I still need decent CPU so a dual core Atom is not going to cut it but anything above that should be fine.

The reason I will be putting together a farm is because ideally I need 192GB memory at this stage. Unfortunately, most CPU's/Chipsets supporting that much memory require ECC which is expensive.

In an ideal world I want 2 machines which are i5's/i7's (or even low end xeons/amds) each with 128GB memory, however nothing out there really does that as far as I have seen.

Any ideas?

Criteria:
    - Not a prebuilt server like a HP/DELL rack server. There will be used at home whilst testing and so I can't have that much noise.
    - Ideally don't want server chips requiring ECC simply because it gets very expensive.
    - Happy with older memory like DDR3 - doesn't have to be super fast.
    - Ideally don't want to use chips supporting only 32GB memory. I would need 8 boxes just for the memory and that will get annoying.

2. mr_mordred2095

mr_mordred2095 Member

Skip to 1:00 to miss the ads. Clearly you need all the RAM, but you should be able to take some info away from the video.

3. james150

james150 Member

You could certainly purchase 2x X99 boards and fit 128GB of ddr4 ram in each.
    Not going to be cheap though, mostly for the ram.

For testing purposes why don't you rent some AWS EC2 servers?

4. OJR

OJR Member

X79 gear is reasonably priced. Low end mobo with 8 slots, a cheap quad core xeon (E5-1603) and you can fill it with 16GB DDR3 non registered RAM. Now these are not easy to come by but I have read that they are out there somewhere.

5. onthepulse

onthepulse Member

Yes and yes to these two suggestions. X99 with 128GB ram is your best bet. Or rent AWS

6. greenhawk

greenhawk Member

This.

It should be cheaper and you do not have to worry about selling / equipment gathering dust after you finish your needed processing.

7. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

Some X58 boards can take 48g ram. Dual 1366 boards can take tons of ram and 1366 xeons are dirt cheap.

And server ecc ram is cheaper than desktop ram.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  8. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  9. mike-s

mike-s Member