[WIN10] Cheapest legit way to get Win10 licence for new PC build

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by MickybD, May 17, 2016.

1. MickybD

MickybD Member

I'm looking to build my first new PC and my current PC only has an OEM Win7 licence, so I need to get myself a new Win10 Home licence. Just wondering where the forum can suggest I get a licence at the cheapest price. Should I buy Win10 from Amazon.com and ship it over, for example, or am I better to find somewhere to buy a legit Win7/Win8 key and get a free Win10 upgrade? Where is cheapest...?

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  2. OldnBold

OldnBold Member

The upgrade to Windows 10 is still available. Through your own install, save your cash.

3. OP
    OP
    MickybD

MickybD Member

Thanks for your comment. Reading back, though, I now realise my post wasn't clear. What I meant was that my current (old) PC has an OEM Win7 licence, so when I build the new PC I will need a new licence. I am entitled to a free Win10 upgrade on the old box, but as I will be building a new box I need a new licence.

My research thus far has a retail Win8.1 licence at $109 - which I would then upgrade to Win10 for free - as the cheapest option. I'd be interested if anyone has any better suggestions though.

4. samo

samo Member

student?

if not, OEM or as you suggested. Win 8 to 10 upgrade.

5. negatron

negatron Member

6. OP
    OP
    MickybD

MickybD Member

Not a student unfortunately. Looks like Win8 to 10 will be the way to go.

Not sure about that. There seems to be mixed reviews about that sort of option.

7. Slug69

Slug69 Member

Build your machine from scratch with win10 and call Microsoft to activate it if your old key doesn't work.

Does your old machine have a removable network card put that in your machine as well.

When I rebuilt my machine with some new components my autoactivation didn't work.

Just follow their instructions on the phone. It worked for me.[emoji6]

8. KaiShin

KaiShin Member

Will you be ditching the old PC?

If so deregister Win7 from that one and reuse the Win7 key for your Win10 install, should work no problems. If that key doesn't register follow Slug69's advice.

This is what I did, no problems at all.

9. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

Technically OEM keys are registered to the Mobo of your machine (and maybe a mix of other hardware) so when you change those parts your license is invalid.

That being said there is a lot of leeway given by MS.

I have used the same OEM key cross 3 Mobos now, as long as its been 1-2 years between upgrades the key will auto activate. Not sure how things will work with Win10 upgrades though as they don't technically have a key and are just registered to you Mobo.

10. OP
    OP
    MickybD

MickybD Member

Thanks for the suggestions all.

11. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

Also, check out Kinguin.

12. decryption

decryption Member

I've purchased a few Win 10 keys from that subreddit - all worked fine and keep working. Dunno where the fuck they come from or why they're so cheap. Anyone else know where these serials are coming from?

13. josh1990

josh1990 Member

Volume licence keys more than likely

14. kogi

kogi Member

15. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

He can just use the Win 7 OEM key from the sticker on his old computer, he just has to do a custom install of Win 10 onto his new computer and use that key.

Because he is doing a fresh install on a new Hdd and mobo, setup will detect that there is no current Win 7 or Win 8 activation already in place to validate the free Win 10 activation, so during the Win 10 installation, he gets a serial key screen, and he can just type in his Win 7 OEM key, finish the installation, and it will be activated.

He does not need to buy any other keys, especially cheap keys from websites like the ones listed in this thread.

Technically his old OEM key is supposed to stay with that old computer, but who cares, lots of people have been doing it, and if Microsoft don't have a system in place to prevent people from using them to get the free Win 10 activation, then that is their problem.

Last edited: May 23, 2016