Cheapest way to get Netflix on a dumb TV.

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Supplanter, Feb 3, 2019.

1. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I love Chromecasts, but I know they confuse the hell out of the elderly.

2. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

Hmmm I own 3 360's each from different generations. All of them got abused from years of LAN parties in my teens. Then years of media use as dvd players, youtube devices and netflix boxes. Not once have I heard of people complain about them being overally noisy unless gaming or the typical optical disc drive spinning noise.

If you can hear the fan which barely spins up when watching netflix then there must be something wrong with yours.

But anyway. OP wanted a cheap option. Alot of people have 360's just sitting in wardrobes not being used and would give them away for free. They are a perfectly viable option. I wouldnt recommend it if you needed to pay for one however.

3. power

power Member

I have had in my personal possession a pre-launch model (i was trialling one for work at the time), and now the one with the hdmi and no wireless (hard rubbish woo). The fan pitch sucks even at idle and is the same on both, when you hear it you basically can't unhear it - later models are much better. and the XB1 well that's a dream in comparison. honestly if they went down the console route they'd be better off with a PS3 slim or super slim, much better fans they also use a bluetooth remote that is more responsive than the IR remote of the 360 on top of that they have a bluray drive. I agree, only get one if free/almost free there are better options.

4. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    power likes this.
  5. Slug69

Slug69 Member

I hear good things about the Amazon Fire TV Stick for these kind of usage scenarios.

6. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

does a streaming device exist that is powered by the port its plugged into? My TV is wall mounted, and its a pain in the butt to thread a power cable down the back and i don't want to have any wires hanging down! So i was hoping something like a Chromecast

7. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

If your tv has a usb port rated for external hard drives you could build a raspberry pi (or similar more powerful competitor). They run fine on a 5v2a port

8. NerfDude

NerfDude Member

I’ve heard of people powering the xiaomi mi box from a USB port. Apparently it is compatible with a “psp charger” cable from eBay. Just beware they take 30 seconds or so to boot from cold power on.

9. nico6

nico6 Member

The supplied power pack (240v to microUSB) for my Intel Compute Stick outputs 5V 3A. What power output spec is your TV's USB port?

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  10. sanjay

sanjay Member

no way will any TV USB port pump out more than 1 amp. 5v 3a is relatively substantial for a USB power brick

11. nico6

nico6 Member

Fair enough :)

12. Murmandamus

Murmandamus Member

Standard chromecast should work find from a usb port on the TV. Mine does. Looks like the Ultra (only needed for 4k) won't though as it requires more power.

13. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

Picked up a 3rd gen Chromecast the other day, and finally remembered to plug it in last night. The USB on the TV powers the Chromecast, and I've curled the wires so you can't see it. Was casting from an old ipad to the TV

14. sanjay

sanjay Member

Chromecasts are great but it is so frustrating that Amazon Prime Video still doesn't support Chromecast.

I have spent so much time faffing around with my TCL Android TV to get AptoideTV installed and then some weird hacky version of Prime Video installed (which works but isn't nearly as smooth as, say, Netflix or Stan).

15. VirtualNinja

VirtualNinja Member

ATV3 easy to use and I'd be using ethernet connection.

16. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Part of the reason I got a shield was to run kodi and amazon video without needing multiple different devices

17. sanjay

sanjay Member

dont you still need to side-load prime video on the shield though?

18. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

nope.. I have kodi, netflix, prime video, youtube, spotify, animelab, crunchyroll and funimation streaming all installed directly from the app store

19. sanjay

sanjay Member

wonder why amazon makes prime video available for android TV on the shield but not android TV built into TVs.

20. MELso76

MELso76 Member