Cheese Kransky sausages

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by MR CHILLED, Apr 27, 2010.

1. di_entropy

di_entropy Member

lets see.. what is more likely to use the correct terminology

fast food joints and servos, or supermarkets, butchers and delicatessens

this is a kransky, originating in slovenia (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kranjska_klobasa) and is commonly served hot
    http://www.isdonisgood.com.au/Our-Range/Don-Continental/Cheese-Kransky/

this is a kabana, derived from the european cabanossi or kabanos (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabanos, it is dried and is usually served cold
    http://www.isdonisgood.com.au/Our-Range/Don-Continental/Kabana/

2. leroyxx

leroyxx Member

I agree with the previous post... Kranskys are served warm, cabana is served cold.

The things in fast food joints/servo's are fsking hot dogs. :D

On topic, Cheese kranskys are awesome!

3. skooter

skooter Member

the things they sell you out of hotboxes are just deep fried versions of a regular old kabana.. you can eat them cold or deep fried

4. 2162

2162 Member

I'm pretty sure a hot dog is not a hot dog.

5. AussiePokerGod

AussiePokerGod (Banned or Deleted)

ding ding ding we have a winner.

this is my point. there kabana that are deep fried, yet if this is so why for the live of me does every single southerner that comes in and orders one asks for a FCKING KRANSKY??

6. bobdobbs

bobdobbs Member

Ok this is a thread called cheese kranksky sausages, you came out buy saying southeners call em kranksyks when u think they are called kabanas .. but there something different, now u admit they are different..thats where u fucked up dude.

(ps yes im drunk')

7. Fireblade

Fireblade Member

Due to excessive usage of shot glasses in the wee hours of yesterday morning, when I finally crawled out of bed I had a hankering for a fry up. Bacon, eggs, cheese kransky sliced in half length ways, tomatoes, couple of pieces of toast, splash of worcester sauce, couple of dollops of HP and I was almost human again. Long live the cheese kransky, great hangover food :thumbup:

8. Stone2x

Stone2x Member

I don't think you understand what you quoted. He was saying you eat Kabana out of the hotboxes... It's not a Kransky.

You eat Kabana out of hotboxes...
    We eat Kabana however we want and we eat Kranskys however we want, they're two different things :thumbup:

9. AussiePokerGod

AussiePokerGod (Banned or Deleted)

i understand what i said, and all i've been trying to say from the beginning is it baffles my mind why southerners come into a servo and ask for a kransky, when even you guys are admitting there called kabana and ARE kabana.

kranksys are obviously something different and are what you guys are talking about here.

10. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

kabana (and/or cabanossi) are thin

kranskys are fat

we know the difference AussiePokerGod

do you? :p

11. bobdobbs

bobdobbs Member

You came out saying that kranskys were called kabanas at the start.. then everyone on here said kabanas were something different. You are trying to twist it like you were correct the whole time when u were not.. geez

12. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

It's interesting as I'm eating a thin one right now. Normally all of them I've seen and eaten have been fat. But skinny ones certainly do exist.

13. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

When I used to work at FlightCenter in Brisbane, they had a coffee place across the road which did cheese kranskys in a breakfast roll. Seriously, it's the best breakfast ever, even if it's incredibly unhealthy.

14. t00ch

t00ch Member

Big Kransky fan here, I eat the cheese ones often.
    I used to just cook them intact on the BBQ or grill, but recently discovered just how much better they are when you cut them lengthways and cook the open face. Ohhhhhhhhhhh that layer of crusty cheese that forms. Plus you don't get that deadly hot pressurised cheese to burn the shit out of your mouth.

They go VERY well with the Masterfoods 'kebab style' chili sauce in the orange bottle.

15. booboo

booboo Member

about 2 or so months ago i saw this thread and it got me onto them, hadn't had one for years...but now when having a bbq and needing some meat, there one of the options! damn this thread lol

16. pugsley

pugsley Member

Big differences here.

Kabana (Cabanossi) is the aussie version of the Polish Kabanos Kielbasa, its lighter on the smoke flavour and normally isnt as dried out as the traditional recipe. It has a course texture of pork meat with a little beef added, and is put into small casings to help with the drying/curing process and to help the smoke penetrate the suasage.

Kraskys have a finer meat texture and use spices like garlic, pepper and white wine, uses pork with a bit of beef/lamb added and is lightly smoked. Its put into thicker cases (Normally, thin ones can be made) to help keep the finer meat texture moist. High melt point cheese is added when cheese kransky's are desired.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010