Chia Specific

Discussion in 'Blockchain & Cryptocurrency Mining' started by Slug69, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Slug69

Slug69 Member

I have plotted and am waiting.

Some things I discovered along the way.
    • Despite the software allowing you to select threads in advanced settings for plotting, I don't think it actually uses more than a total of 2 at 100% (you will see all cores being used but total usage will effectively be the same as 2 threads at 100%) - or I am not understanding cpu usage very well -it may be that the CPU is only working as hard as the HDD will accept I guess. (970 Samsung Evo plus)
    • Plotting in parallel works fine, just don't go more than 2 at a time unless you have more than two M2 PCIE or an AIC.
    • Put your Eth mining rig to use doing something else as well. It has practically zero impact plotting Chia while mining Eth. Only HDD usage and a tiny amount of CPU.
    • There seems to be a wild swing in total network space of approx 30 Petabytes. I would love to know why this is as people risk missing out on block rewards if your machine is turned off - why does there seem to be someone or some group suddenly switching off 30 Petabytes of Chia plots?
    • The timelord stuff seems a bit hush hush. The FAQ basically says these aren't the droids you are looking for. There doesn't seem to be much info about how decentralised the Timelords are.
    Anyone else looking at this altcoin?

2. woja

woja Member

I just started yesterday, was faffing around and accidently deleted one of my plots lol
    I've got 5 plots farming at the moment and in the process of plotting some more, think I've got space for over 70?

Also I just realised if you want to plot in "parallel" through the GUI (say 4 instances queueing 10 plots each, not 40 plots all at once) you actually need to name each queue something different otherwise it just plonks it on to the end of the queue

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    Slug69 likes this.
  3. akashra

akashra Member

Currently the plotter only uses two threads, and is very disk/IO limited. There's also some pretty massive limitations in the way the plotter is written that myself and others are looking in to for future (but might be a long way off), to make sure it uses DMA-streamed writes rather than random writes, which are a massive bottleneck. Having it read in the next bucket, while doing the backpropogation of the current phase in to memory for streaming rather than as it goes through should yield massive improvements.

The main limiting factor to plotting in parallel is your disk space. For example, I only have 2x 400GB Intel S3700s in RAID0, so I'm limited by that to only being able to do 2 plots at a time despite that I have lots of CPU available. U.2 and DC SSDs will handle multiple ops going on at a time just fine.

Compared to others in the community I only have a pretty small farm - I've got around 8TB plotted with 34TB still available to play with and expand my farm.

Slug69 likes this.
  4. woja

woja Member

Yeah, ended up using the cli to do my plotting, the gui was a bit unstable especially if you want to delete an active plotting you end up losing all your ongoing uncompleted plots

Slug69 likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Slug69

Slug69 Member

One thing I did in Windows is turn off disk indexing on my plotting folders as well as my main farm. I have no idea if it speeds up the writes or saves the SSD's a little bit that do the plotting.

woja likes this.
  6. Jag_Guy

Jag_Guy Member

I've started to play with this as all my mining rigs run on Linux, and my main Gaming PC only has a 3090, and I can bring myself to add more cards to it...but at the same time I can bring myself to let a 3090 just idle, so I use the Gaming PC top mine, but it's a bit of a waste with all of the power overhead. I think using Chia is a perfect way to maximise it's use without adding more GPU's. I've been playing around with it on and off for the past week and have a couple of plots running, and am getting thinking about how to really get the operation going. One though I had, commercial viability aside, what if you were to have an array of SSDs for the plots, then use Cloud storage instead of external HDD's to store the mass data? Could be a softer way of starting up without the need to invest in many TB worth of storage.

Slug69 likes this.
  7. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

So what's the go here... you install the client and allocate your spare storage space, and if you have the hash that's closest to the next requested one in the blockchain... you get the XCH reward? How does it work with wallets, etc?

8. OP
    OP
    Slug69

Slug69 Member

I think this is an option for sure. I saw some notes about it on their page, once the initial plots have been uploaded you can go to a cheaper plan because there aren't any more writes, just a few lookups every now and then.

9. akashra

akashra Member

Install the client and create a plot. On a fast SSD/cpu that might take 6.5 hours, will need 350GB of temp space and generate a 104GB output file. Generating one plot will be around 1.3TB in disk writes - the MP600 I've had for what, 10 days, has already done 70TB of writes.

That file then gets stored in your farm(s), where you have harvesters looking for challenges in the plots contained in those farms. Farmers pass challenges to harvesters for them to process in among the plots those harvesters have in the farms it knows about.

If your farm contains a challenge hash, the harvester/farmer provides the proof of space to the network, and you're rewarded with one block (2 XCH).

There are no pools yet, but plots must be generated tied to a farmer and pool key - so you can't just re-allocate a generated plot to another pool later on. Once pools come in it's 1/8th (0.25XCH) to the farmer, and the remaining 1.75XCH distributed among members of the pool.

10. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

So with an older server setup, with a small amount of SSD for OS and then large amount of TBs for storage-storage... Worth it? Or is it only really viable on pure SSD stuff?

11. akashra

akashra Member

Farm storage can be slow and you want to prioritize size. Plotting wants performance. If you only have 1x 500GB SSD available, then plotting to fill that farm is going to be slow going.

.plot files are sorted, and should be O(logn) to search - where n = k. It takes fractions of a second to scan a plot for a challenge. Farming PBs is viable for single servers. You basically want two CPU threads/cores to be available for full util for plotting - eg, on an 8-core CPU, you can comfortably do 8 parallel plots IF your SSD can keep up (eg, 4x DC SSDs in RAID0) without staggering the plots. I know of people doing 18 simultaneous plots on a 3900X, with clever staggering.

12. illdrift

illdrift Member

I just grabbed some old <1tb hdd's mates had lying around and plot to those. Takes longer, but it's nice to repurpose and saves some e-waste. It takes longer for each plot, but in the grand scheme it's not all that bad. I'm currently 180plots in without an ssd.

Also, a zfs array shines here :leet:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    Slug69 likes this.
  13. ashspecops

ashspecops Member

How long does it take per plot roughly? I've got a few 1tb's in storage that I can't bare to e-waste

14. illdrift

illdrift Member

Going off memory, 17 hours on a recent gen cpu, longer on older cpu's

ashspecops likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    Slug69

Slug69 Member

its quicker than this if you want to use an SSD to plot with or use a raid to plot. Remember the plot is built and then placed so to speak. You build on the fastest drive you have and place it onto the slowest biggest drives you have.

16. akashra

akashra Member

Like I said, I'm seeing about 6.5 hours on a 2-drive RAID0 array of S3700s, and achieved a sub-6hr plot on my desktop using a MP600 today.

The Intel 600p I've retired in to plotting though is taking well over 11 hours :D

17. OP
    OP
    Slug69

Slug69 Member

Yay, got my first Chia block reward. Looks like everything works. Now to hodl.

illdrift likes this.
  18. Jag_Guy

Jag_Guy Member

Mine's estimating 9 months till my first reward :/ I'm only doing 2x 100gb plots though to make sure I fully understand how it works before tipping in with mass storage.

19. OP
    OP
    Slug69

Slug69 Member

Even if you have some external drives lying around with a spare 110GB on them it's worth firing them up.

20. OP
    OP
    Slug69

Slug69 Member

My Chia farming monster.

Threadripper, quad channel memory and Aorus AIC with striped four striped dads.

also mining eth with 2 x 3060’s. 52318A1C-04C3-45C4-89DD-FEB9329E486B.jpeg