1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Chia Specific

Discussion in 'Blockchain & Cryptocurrency Mining' started by Slug69, Apr 6, 2021.

1. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

Dunno, mine is 0/11

https://github.com/Chia-Network/chi...the-plot-filter-and-why-didnt-my-plot-pass-it

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
  2. r3s

r3s Member

Sweet, thanks guys :)

3. crosby

crosby Member

Also worth enabling Chia to log at info level to make sure timings are ok when a plot passes the filter - I believe if it takes more than 30 secs it gets rejected

4. bobfranklin

bobfranklin Member

Was just looking at the client and it doesn't have any entries in the "Your Harvester Network" section but does have my localhost in the Full Node Connection details on the Farm tab. Is that normal?

5. r3s

r3s Member

So you have to win the lottery to then get a chance in taking part in teh lottery? lol

6. Jag_Guy

Jag_Guy Member

https://www.plotsformation.com/ a few of these sort of places are popping up now, for those not keen on investing in hardware but want to play the 'plot lottery' you can now :D Lots of talk about pools arriving soon as well, so I can't see them being too far away.

7. OP
    OP
    Slug69

Slug69 Member

So strange, just arbitrarily losing synch last couple of days.

8. crosby

crosby Member

Have you opened port 8444? Once I did this I had a lot less trouble with synching. I set up port forwarding in my router

9. dr_deathy

dr_deathy Member

Anyone get some coins yet?

10. tkxmoe

tkxmoe Member

Has anyone played with the second temp directory option? Anyone know what the fallback logic is? ie if primary runs out of disk space continue current plot spanned across two drives?

11. akashra

akashra Member

It writes in bursts. If you think about it, you're going to write that 1.3TB over a span of maybe 6 hours for a decent speed plot. When you average that out, it means it's only doing 60MB/s as an average for the length of that plot - but it comes in bursts.

The plotter is, honestly, really inefficient. Aside from being multi-threadeded, think of it this way: it's basically going: "Read a large chunk (day 4GB) from disk (that might take 10 seconds), process it (maybe 45 seconds), write that updated chunk to disk (maybe 15 seconds).". And it's just doing that over and over again.

In an ideal world what we'll do is optimise it so you have some workse threads that are pulling data for the next block to be processed while the mergesort/quicksort is going on. That'll take more memory, of course.

There's some other optimizations I'm look at at well once I'm finished with another project, which include doing things like never writing the full hash to disk and re-calculating it every time. So instead of writing ffeeddccbbaa9988... to disk, we just write '1' to disk, then as we do the load, calculate f(1) and get the hash back in to memory that way. That will reduce the size of the reads and writes to disk by about 85%.

12. Jag_Guy

Jag_Guy Member

Yeah I think there is going to be some much more efficient third party mining software, or much more efficient and automated Chia GUI shortly. Perhaps some of the third party developers are waiting for Chia to start trading first before really going for it, but then again you don’t want to miss the boat so I’d imagine a few are a fair way there.

One thing I did read is that Chia doesn’t support third party software yet, so that could be a big reason why nothing is out yet.

13. bobfranklin

bobfranklin Member

Just got a spare machine from work with an NVME in it, wondering how best to connect it so I can see the plots.
    So I just use the same wallet address and connect to the same plot directory with a different temp?
    Do I need to resync the blockchain to it or can I copy it?

NM I found the answer - you can just copy the db folder but both sides have to be stopped when you do it.

14. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

Thoughts on settings this up on my Dell server, have plenty of space, bunch of drives in RAID5. Thinking of spinning up another VM and running the GUI under Windows. How much is this going to screw my drives? I already run a Sia host in another VM.

15. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

I've made some changes to my farm. I had an old microserver laying around, so filled it with 3TB HDD's I also had laying around. I've installed openmediavault and shared out each HDD individually. Saves wasting space on RAID, and I can just pop the individual drives into another machine if I need to. I also got a 1TB NVME as my temp drive, which has been amazing. Last night I setup two staggered parallel queues of 2 plots each in the GUI, then when they were part way through I forgot each plot needs 250GB of temp, the NVME is 954GB formatted. I checked it every now and then but the HDD didn't go below 100GB free, so I went to bed and hoped for the best. It wasn't a drama in the end, woke this morning to find them all completed successfully.

So now, I'm going to run them in the CLI. Will stick to 3 concurrent queues and load them up on the same temp drive in separate folders but separate drives on the NAS. That way I can easily kill a queue and delete the temp files if required.

16. r3s

r3s Member

Screenshot_20210501-115352_Gallery.jpg Set up the chia shelf, waiting on 2 more of the 4gb external drives, have an extra 2 usb extension cables sitting there ready to go, so 2 x 6tb internal drives and 4 x 4tb externals will be the farm i leave sit attached to the ETH mining rig.

Last edited: May 1, 2021
    Slug69, 303-Acid and illdrift like this.
  17. dr_deathy

dr_deathy Member

I tried it with a 240gb and a 128gb ssd. It just fills up the 240 and errors away.

18. crosby

crosby Member

New version 1.1.3 is out

19. r3s

r3s Member

Oh damn, was trying 3 on a 1tb nvme and 1 + failover to 1tb drive on a 480gb nvme.

20. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

Apparently it's not a failover if the drive fills, but splits the tasks over the drives.

https://thechiafarmer.com/2021/04/27/benchmarking-different-settings-for-k32/