Chia Specific

Discussion in 'Blockchain & Cryptocurrency Mining' started by Slug69, Apr 6, 2021.

1. RP_Automotive

RP_Automotive Member

I’ve made a little bit of progress on the Pool. I have about 15 people together who all have varying programming, web development and direct pooling development experience. I’ll setup a discord by the end of this week if anyone wants to get on, just shoot me a msg. I’m sure a few groups are way ahead and I am by no means a software project manager, but it will be good to get everyone in the same place and see if we can pull it together.

Cant think of a name for it but CHOCA (CHia OverClockers Australia) seems good enough :D

Yak, Slug69, Andres and 1 other person like this.
  2. Andres

Andres Motor Admin

Is anyone using Chiadog or similar to review their log files? I'm getting a little worried by some of the warnings/errors I'm seeing in my log, and given the (in)frequency of rewards, I'm concerned it will be all to easy to have a fundamental issue, without knowing it. I'm not 'due' for a win, so don't necessarily think anything is wrong, but would be nice to know its all working smoothly.

3. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

I haven't used any log analysers. But I did have a power outage this arvo and it too forever to go from Not Synced again so I changed the log from WARNING to INFO. Apparently it takes ages to start syncing as most farmers aren't forwarding 8444, so your node attempts to connect to peers but fails as they don't have 8444 open. You see in the log "Connect call failed" and if you do a port test to that host you'll find it closed.

What warnings or errors do you see?

If it's connected and syncing, you're seeing block challenges and attempted proof, then it's probably fine and you're just not winning the lotto like most of us.

4. Andres

Andres Motor Admin

I'm getting this a bit:

2021-05-06T18:49:41.054 full_node chia.full_node.full_node: WARNING Wasn't able to add transaction with id b6ff27a6053d275d15b96638d46b8cee95b6089162a582e7cbc318569c304275, status 3 error: Err.DOUBLE_SPEND

I'm synced. I'm getting block challenges every ~10 seconds. I'm getting plots passing filters here and there. Sooo I think it's all ok-ish.

Only have 4 connections to full node peers though. I've enabled UPNP and its shows those 4 as port 8444/8444... but when I use an online port checker, it shows port 8444 as being closed.

5. luka

luka Member

CGNAT by your ISP?

6. xeghia

xeghia Member

I'm on the fence whether to crank it up to try and catch up or just give up and wait for pooling. As a casual thing and without spending money on it seems I may have missed the boat really, I would need to dust off some old gear and have several PC's going at it 24/7 really. I managed to get from '3 years' to '9 months 2 weeks' in the summary though, but others are saying 2 months with 100 plots which is a long way off for me at the current pace.

As a matter of interest, those running more than one PC, are you running multiple full nodes with the same keys/certs/wallet etc? I see you can network harvesters separately, but if you can run say 4 full nodes each with their own large plot storage it would be less messing around. Maybe multiple farmers increases odds as well perhaps?

It's been interesting anyway, certainly more so than GPU based crypto I think, the barrier was much lower to have a go as I'm a bit of a storage nerd and had stuff lying around spare anyway. Suddenly that stack of old dual CPU 1RU gear doing nothing is looking kind of interesting again.

7. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

One full node running GUI. Plotting 4x staggered concurrently in separate CLI instances in separate temp folders on the one 1TB NVMe. If I need to kill one plotter I can. About 8-9 hours each plot.

Laptop also had full node before I read up more, so now I don't have the GUI running on it anymore and have one CLI running until I install a larger faster NVMe. It saves the completed plots to a USB3 UDD which I then move to a PC on the LAN and robocopy the files to the NAS - rename to *.tmp before copying and back to *.plot when copied. Copying the plot over WiFi is just too slow and kills the bandwidth causing streaming services to buffer. About 10 hours a plot.

HP Z420, running CLI only with the public pool and farm key switches as I haven't synced the keys in the GUI. Running two concurrent staggered instances on separate 7200RPM HDD's. This one is running just because, why not an extra 4 plots a day. Takes about 12 hours each plot.

I'll be looking into having something low powered as my main farm node, Raspberry Pi or something. Then it can just sit there once my farm is full, rather than on my Windows gaming PC which will need rebooting for windows updates, etc.

8. illdrift

illdrift Member

I should've kept better notes on plotting times. I'm surprised how reasonable an external drive on a ryzen is, all things considered

3600, usb 18tb = 10.5 hours

3900x, sas 18tb = 10.8 hours
    3900x, passthrough usb 18tb = 13.7 hours
    3900x, nvme = 8.9 hours
    3900x, zfs vm = 13.8 hours

3400g, usb 18tb = 11.2 hours

old xeon, zfs = 15 hours

d1800m celeron, usb 18tb = 25 hours
    d1800m celeron, 1gbe (to xeon zfs) = 30.5 hours

I threw 27 crappy 120gb sata ssd's into 9 raid0 arrays of 3 drives, but so far the results are poor lol. I'll add my 3900x speeds once I've ran a few plots on ssd arrays/zfs/nvme

Really tempted to buy an enterprise ssd... but then I'd rather throw away more $ on extra storage capacity

edit... no luck with striped ssd's attached to a sas card, even after singling out the much faster drives. Attempting any form of windows striping seems to bottleneck the entire vm to a crawl

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    Slug69 likes this.
  9. Yak

Yak Member

I have "thrown" what i already had at it.. not any more..
    Well did add an SSD so I could migrate my system off the (overkill!!) SAS SSD I acquired a few years ago..

It just reminds me too much of the other "Chinese farming situations" in the past..
    https://www.nysun.com/foreign/in-china-a-million-fall-for-ant-farm-ponzi-scheme/69460/

Yak.

10. RP_Automotive

RP_Automotive Member

11. darknebula

darknebula Member

I’ve been farming for just over a week now, 160 plots and no reward. Still have about 10TB spare that I plan to fill. Time to win has been hovering on a month for the last couple of days

12. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

119 plots for me now. Still no rewards. Roughly 10TB for me to fill also.

Slug69 and darknebula like this.
  13. OP
    OP
    Slug69

Slug69 Member

I owe Akashra a beer or three.

While I haven't sold the coins I have made yet, I still can't quite believe what is happening. I am never this lucky so am glad his posts piqued my interest.

14. AERO

AERO Member

Think I’m about 100 plots. Havnt checked my plots since 6 pm yesterday so no idea if I’ve won. Once I fill my drives I’m done. Got about 20 plots to do then just a 4tb drive to fill. So will end with about 160 ish

15. scorpia

scorpia Member

has anyone been able to sell chia yet? im trying to use gate.io atm but had a few issues. (maintenace, deposit address not generating).

Im wondering if anyone has had any better luck and if so where/how.

16. @sia@home

@sia@home Member

What does chia offer that filecoin does not?

17. akashra

akashra Member

A USD1320 coin value at the current time of writing? :D

18. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

So I need some advice.

I think I might give mining chia a go since I have the storage equipment to do so.

I have lots of 256gb ssds and near 30TB worth of spare sas enterprise drives I can hook up to a sas adapter in a spare system.

What else am I missing to mine chia and what clients should I use? Am I missing anything else hardware wise? How does chia work on storage and does it severely wear down flash based ssds and spinning rust? Does the difficulty increase with each mining pool?

19. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Scratch that I have 25 x 3TB Constellation es.2 sata ENT drives laying around, is this big enough for mining chia coins?

Andres likes this.
  20. Andres

Andres Motor Admin

Yeah - would be definitely worth considering it - thats a handy amount of space!

In my (humble) opinion, you've probably missed the boat a little for farming on your own - and pooled farming is slated to kick off at the end of this month. By the time you finsihed plotting 75TB, pooling owuld likely be underway. Unfortunately, any current plots are unable to be added to pools at the moment, and will need to be replotted once pools are 'activated'.

I'd set up your hardware, have a bit of a play to get a feel for it all, then hit it with gusto once pools kick off to avoid re-plotting (which is the computationally intensive part of the process).