Chia Specific

Discussion in 'Blockchain & Cryptocurrency Mining' started by Slug69, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

So does this require any gpu mining at all? Or a beefy cpu as well?

2. @sia@home

@sia@home Member

What utility does the network provide such that the coin will continue to be worth something once the FOMO next next Bitcoin hype wears off?

3. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

The creation of plots is heavy on the disk, loads of reads and writes, so fast storage is needed if you want to create plots quickly. It takes about 1.6TB of writes to create a final 101GB plot. Those final plot files can be stored on slow mass storage.

Plotting requires "239 GiB (256.6 GB)" and creates a final plot of "101.4 GiB (108.9 GB)". The amount of disk changes over the plotting process as it does some compression in the later stages. I managed to fit 4 concurrent staggered plots on a 1TB SSD, the minimum I saw free while monitoring was 100GB.

I bought a new Silicon Power A80 1TB with 1600 TBW, it's down to 90% health in about a week, over 100TB in writes according to CrystalDiskInfo.

SSD Endurance info - https://github.com/Chia-Network/chia-blockchain/wiki/SSD-Endurance

I'm sure you're fine with CPU and RAM with your equipment. Typically 4GB RAM and 4 threads is recommended, anything else is wasted really. Then depending on your CPU or CPU's, and SSD speed, load up a few queues. Only the 1st stage of plotting is multi threaded.

Running the plots via multiple CLI instances is better, they are self contained. So you can kill one should you need to. When plotting via the GUI if you need to restart the GUI it ends all your plotting.

You can run the GUI on one machine, say a low powered always on device, and plot from a better machine. You just need you public farm and pool keys to add to the CLI plotter.

I run 4 staggered about 30 minutes apart to allow for copying the plot over my GB LAN, which takes about 15 minutes. Ryzen 5 3600, 16GB RAM, 1TB NVMe. I've noticed that sometimes they catch up to each other, some plots are slightly quicker to create. They take roughly 8-9 hours for me.

This is the PowerShell I use on a device without the full node synced:
    Code:
    invoke-expression 'cmd /c start powershell -NoExit -Command {cd "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\chia-blockchain\app-1.1.4\resources\app.asar.unpacked\daemon\";$host.ui.RawUI.WindowTitle = "temp1_ChiaFarm01"; start-sleep 0 ; .\chia.exe plots create -k 32 -b 4096 -u 128 -r 4 -t C:\Temp\Chia -d Y:\Plots -n 10 -f PUBLICFARMKEY -p PUBLICPOOLKEY;Read-Host -Prompt "press enter to exit"}'

Plotting with PowerShell - https://thechiafarmer.com/2021/04/19/plotting-with-powershell-on-windows/

As for difficulty, creating plots is the same. The difficulty is more around the total amount of plots on "Mainnet". You're essentially plotting lottery tickets. haha. So, for me, 125 plots, Estimated time to win is 2 months, total network space is 3.076 EiB. Difficulty 197

4. RP_Automotive

RP_Automotive Member

They are saying that current plots will be able to be added to pools btw.

5. Andres

Andres Motor Admin

6. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Thanks.

Is there a starting guide or walkthrough which can assist a starting a newbie such as myself?

Last edited: May 9, 2021
  7. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

Matthew kane likes this.
  8. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Well, I have 101 plots farming, 2 in progress and 7 more in the queue. After that I will have filled the 3x 4TB external drives I bought ($99 ea at OfficeWorks) and I think that'll do me for now. Time to reward has been sitting on 2 months for most of the time I've been mining, which I think is 2 weeks now? No coins.

9. r3s

r3s Member

eaxctly the same as me lol, 0.0004% of the network and doesnt change, surprised i havent gone backwards, that will come soon, i have 2 x 6tb internals and 4 x 4tb officeworks externals to fill and then thats it for me, see what happens with pools , altho i might just farm solo anyways and if i hit that jackpot it will be satisfying.

10. RP_Automotive

RP_Automotive Member

I've decided to build a dedicated plotting PC. I'm thinking a dual Xeon, 8x M600 2TB SSD's, at least 128GB ram and whatever else is required to keep ahead. Haven't done the math on plots per day required but it seems unless you are making 20+ per day now you're going backwards. Add to that the GUI keeps crashing so I want to setup in Linux.

11. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Does having more hardware ensure you have a higher success of mining a coin from the pool?

12. RP_Automotive

RP_Automotive Member

Yes and no. Its a lottery, so the more tickets (plots) you have, the better your chances. So the reality is you could have 1 plot and win, or you could have 500 plots and win nothing. But obviously with 500 plots chances are you'll get a few wins.

13. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Ahk. So if I allocate one rack of clustered servers consisting of approx 300TB of storage how many plots can this theoretically fullfil?

14. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Is there a maximum number of plots there will be overall, or will this just continue to expand until it consumes all the storage space on earth? :)

Glad I don't need to buy any hard drives for actual work for a while.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
  15. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

This, I know the other cryptos are not infinite as the difficulty increases tremendously complex as you near depleting the pool of available blocks to mine. Is chia similar?

16. RP_Automotive

RP_Automotive Member

You can plug numbers in here to optimise it. https://plot-plan.chia.foxypool.io/

17. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

1 plot = 101GB

From the FAQ:
    What is Chia’s inflation?
    After the Chia pre-farm, Chia offers farming rewards of 64 chia every 10 minutes. Over the first 12 years the farming rewards will be halved at the end of each 3rd year. From year 13 to infinity, the rewards will remain constant at 4 chia every 10 minutes leading to ever decreasing inflation rates. Chia’s inflation falls through the 0.50% rate 22 years after mainnet launch.

18. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

That's talking about the number of rewards available though isn't it - not the number of plots from which those rewards can be farmed? or am I confused?

If more plots = higher chance of getting a reward, is there a limit on the number of plots?

19. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

Ah, yep. I don't believe there is a finite number of plots. I haven't read anything on that yet.

20. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Hmm. So it's a lottery where the chance of any one ticket winning will get smaller and smaller over time - or to keep your chance of winning the same, you'll have to keep buying more and more tickets.

r3s likes this.