Chia Specific

Discussion in 'Blockchain & Cryptocurrency Mining' started by Slug69, Apr 6, 2021.

1. akashra

akashra Member

Plotting power today is not nearly as important as plotting power was six weeks ago when the network was small. When the network was only 300PB, 2TB a day was a decent percentage of netspace. But now that it's approaching 3.5EiB, you need 10 times that plotting power (and storage for the final plots) to have the same dint.

These things were $149 on Amazon the other week! Fortunately the reviews have come in - they perform similarly as bad as the Intel 600p - an NVMe drive which is yielding 44000s plots (compared to 24000s on 840 EVOs on the same system). In fact, On an i7 6700, plotting to a 600p is slower than plotting to an 840EVO on an i3 4010U :D

2. r3s

r3s Member

I'm more interested in having a warranty for a large amount of TBW then raw speed :)

At the end of the day its going to be a games drive and will be a step up from mechanical :)

3. flinchy

flinchy Member

there's a few with 1665 but they're mostly sold out already... i wanted team cardea Z340.. ended up getting sabrent rocket TLC's

yep, and every day, it's less important than the day before

plotting power, so plots sooner, tomorrow or the day after, is still more important than a month or two from now. better late than never.

what's the silverstone adapter? i can only find their sata based onces, and their single drive options not a PCIe x16 > 4x4 which is what i need more of.. oh you mean one of the 4x to single 4x adapters? zzz

it seems theres only a couple options on the market for x16 > 4x4, and one is $400, the other is NLA/sold out.

Last edited: May 12, 2021
  4. r3s

r3s Member

Yeah just the basic pcie 4x to single nvme adapter , i have 2 nvme slots on teh motherboard already, just wanted to slip 1 more in :)

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/48412/silverstone-m-2-nvme-to-pcie-x4-adapter-card

Knowing my luck it won't be compatible or something lol, in which case i'll swap out a 512gb 1 for this.

It is nice and low profile so wont effect the airflow to the 3070 mining above it :)

Last edited: May 12, 2021
  5. ballfire99

ballfire99 Member

anyone attempt to plot with a intel e8500 or q6600 and if so how slow ?! just have old stuff lying around

6. OP
    OP
    Slug69

Slug69 Member

I tried using a i7 - 6700 but just seemed to take forever. If it is all you have then go for it. Otherwise concentrate on getting decent plotting sequence on your fastest machine.

7. Phalanx

Phalanx Member

Did the same, although I'm already realising that 8TB isn't going to cut it and I'm not sure I want to buy drives fast enough to keep up.

Seems an ok idea to just throw this in my existing rig to get my hat in the ring for cheap, but not really wanting to invest in an entirely new rig. The problem with crypto is the power costs, this just seems to be flipping it for lots of ewaste further down the line instead.

8. r3s

r3s Member

Where abouts are the reviews? i can only seem to find the older versions which have half the write speeds.

9. flinchy

flinchy Member

Levelled up my setup a smidge

Won't post the ghetto stack of hdd's though... :Paranoid:

Anyone know of some logging software I can use to track the various resources over a plotting session? I want to know if I'm actually using the temp drive/CPU etc to the fullest

Attached Files:

303-Acid, illdrift and Andres like this.
  10. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

Someone is getting serious! :shock: How much storage are you going to fill?

You could use HWiNFO64 to log.

Well, I'm now at 183 plots and 0 rewards. About 4TB left to fill. Then there's a spare slot in my Microserver until I find the drive caddy for my remaining 4TB HDD. This is kind of addictive, but I really don't want to spend more money on this other than the NVMe's that'll be repurposed anyway.

r3s likes this.
  11. Ospi

Ospi Member

I think even if you can make $10 a day with a 8TB HDD just sitting there farming, it's a no brainer though.

12. AERO

AERO Member

ill be about 150 plots and had enough, not going to spend any more on hdd's. unles si get a block thats my plotting done. surely ill get somnething at some point.

13. flinchy

flinchy Member

Cheers I'll try hwinfo!

I've got 48tb to fill for now, a mate will give me a few of his drives as I can now plot several times faster than him lol. I'll grab a few more drives here and there once I've filled these 6, which will speed up yet again once the 2990 arrives

14. Andres

Andres Motor Admin

Are you plotting with his key? As I understand it, the plots are tied to you wallet/public key.

15. flinchy

flinchy Member

Yeah, I haven't looked into exactly how to do it, but with his public key

16. Andres

Andres Motor Admin

I'm sitting on 150 plots and sort of just waiting to see what the go is with pooling. Don't want to 'chase losses' trying to keep up with netspace growth.

Also have a seperate garage PC with 10 empty drive bays and another 4Tb ready to roll but I cant for the life of me get Ubuntu and Windows to share folders on the network. Will likely shift the harvesters across to that, even if it means running a second rig (main one is doing some light Nice hash mining).

I have a sneaking suspicion that once pooling starts, there will be a lot more movement of XCH and likely a drop in price.

17. xeghia

xeghia Member

My 'NAS' which is just an old AMD FX 4300 with 16GB of ECC running ubuntu does a reasonable job, it was just sitting there doing basically nothing anyway serving files up.

By default the ubuntu/cli version is not keeping logs so I've lost that info, but a plot was about ~35,000 seconds on the main RAIDZ storage pool, about 33,000 seconds using a pair of 256GB Crucial MX500 striped, and I even threw a 2.5" 500GB laptop drive in which managed about 49,000 seconds before the drive failed rather spectacularly doing the 2nd plot. Some random 2.5" 750GB Seagate Constellation I dug out was doing about 45,000 seconds.

The majority though has been done on my Ryzen 2600 in windows though, I've got enough crap old hard disks that I don't care if they explode finally. Speed is about the same, the hard disk is the crippling factor I'd wager, but several hard disks at once goes alright. Those are all 3.5" and do about 37,000 odd seconds per plot.

The main issue is now I've nearly filled the 8TB Seagate Archive I had lying around, not really wanting to spend money buying more farm space but we'll see what happens.

18. Jaco

Jaco Member

So I never ended up doing anything with this, did it end up being immensely profitable for people? Better than Burstcoin?

19. illdrift

illdrift Member

Well at the start of the thread, everyone was making assumptions around a $20 future market price....

https://www.okex.com/trade-spot/xch-usdt

20. flinchy

flinchy Member

It's definitely going to be interesting once the xch gets more spread out and "Active" potentially. If I could sell 4 to recover my investment I'd be happy lol

Next issue I'm going to have, is how to deal with mounting all these hdd's... Mainly the powering. Connecting is easy with a HBA, but powering...