1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Chia Specific

Discussion in 'Blockchain & Cryptocurrency Mining' started by Slug69, Apr 6, 2021.

1. fad

fad Member

I’m at 230 plots now, with around growth of 50 plots a day now. I seemed to be CPU bound atm. One E5 v4 server does 30 a day the rest is from 3 servers with single socket E5 v3 CPUs

2. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

ok boys, Im late to the party but it looks like fun and I want to play too. At least Im not 8 years late like with btc .... :tired: :tired:

What is the best way to have a decent shot at this? A good cpu will improve plot speed right? 4gb ram and 2 threads per plot? Are new Ryzens ok for this? Are you guys plotting to nvme then moving the plot to platters? Which platters are the ones to get (best value)? Do the plots get rewritten or written then held? Until when?

Can you plot on a mining rig? Must be as I see some miner names in this thread. What about a gamer pc, can you game while plotting?

Re selling plotted drives, I thought holding the plotted drives is what generates return? Or are they set up to plot fast and sell plotted drives at a profit to generate return?

:)

Last edited: May 28, 2021
  3. fad

fad Member

You plot to fast storage, but you need fast cpu and 3-4gb memory per plot.

You hold on to the plots to solve blocks. This is slow bulk hdd storage.

I can do 30 plots a day on a 48 core server with 50+gb mem and fast ssd. Running 10 plots on one drive and 10 plots on a raid 0 of 6 drives.

I see 100% CPU on the 6 core running 8 plots to one drive.

4. PiNoY

PiNoY Member

4EBE54FB-35FD-4B14-B44B-B33E78AF7330.png

Using a 3950x - 64gb ram - 2TB x 2 mp600 in raid0. Still testing atm using 6 threads per plot, 4500mb memory and 90min delay...

Ssd’s are the bottle neck in my rig...!

5. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

So what happens when they are all done? They just sit there plotted or do they replot? Or only replot if a plot gets used?

:)

6. flinchy

flinchy Member

Once the file exists, it's good to go no matter what*... Think of it like a lotto ticket/bingo card that's valid for all future rounds even if it wins

*until one day years or decades in the future they change the rules to demand larger bingo cards (larger minimum file size)

7. OP
    OP
    Slug69

Slug69 Member

I have seen images like this on my setup...it didn't end well. However, you do have 2TB SSD's. It's still an awesome screenshot of what prosumer computing is up to these days.

PiNoY likes this.
  8. fad

fad Member

This is running 14 plots, 2 threads 4096gb, memory usage 144Gb.
    upload_2021-5-29_9-45-23.png

9. darknebula

darknebula Member

Been plotting for a month now, 382 plots and TTW has slipped past 3 months now

10. illdrift

illdrift Member

I guess this gives some insight into the chia team taking so long to ensure their pooling protocols are correct :p

https://www.hpool.com/help/bulletin

11. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Got it but once you have filled your available drives there is no more plotting? Or do they get rewritten constantly?

12. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

You either stop plotting, or get more drives!

PiNoY likes this.
  13. r3s

r3s Member

Games over without pools, people talking about 10Eib being a reasonable ceiling to work rewards out on, its basically gone up 33% more in thr last 2-3 days with absolutely 0 signs of slowing down.

alexc likes this.
  14. Jag_Guy

Jag_Guy Member

And when pooling does start everyone will jump on and the problem will be even worse. I wouldn’t be surprised if it jumped another 10EiB in the first week of pooling.

15. Yak

Yak Member

Guess that's what you get when you monetize things..

So much for being "green" and utilizing EXISTING spare space...
    Kinda like UBER was supposed to be "ride sharing" and be better for the environment so 2 ppls would travel instead of just one.
    Knew somebody who did this to/from work, but then got bumped out when the "professionals" moved in.

Yak.

gabgab1982 and dirkmirk like this.
  16. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Ok so do you need to keep plotting? Or is that where the addiction sets in and you need to get more drives?

17. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

No, you can just stop whenever, 1 plot, 10 plots, or fill your drives with plots. You just then need to keep a harvester running to validate your plots. Unless addiction/FOMO sets in, then more drives and more plotting! haha.

gabgab1982 likes this.
  18. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Cool, so there is minimal system strain to maintain plots? ie once plotted you can game without cpu being maxed and stuttering etc resulting?

19. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

Very little CPU usage to maintain your farm when not plotting.

20. Phalanx

Phalanx Member

I'd be surprised if it was only that. A single TB will make about $19AU a month at current network size*, at 25EiB it'll still be $10 a month. For anyone with some extra storage, why not setup 10-20 plots or so? Less than a week to setup, small enough wear that it won't really impact the life of a consumer SSD, done. Considering NiceHash alone has hundreds of thousands of users, I can see a lot of people adding it in as just another way to generate a bit of crypto.

* Going off a basic calculation. Current Chia network payout is about $AU287.5M per month going off the current price of $800US per XCH, there's currently ~135 million plots so an average plot makes about $2.10 per month. At 250 million plots that becomes a little over a dollar. I can't see it easing up until it's 100EiB and a 8TB drive is only generating $20 a month. At that point it only really makes sense to maintain current storage and only add more as the price rises. There will be pooling fees in there somewhere of course, but I kept it simple.