Chia Specific

Discussion in 'Blockchain & Cryptocurrency Mining' started by Slug69, Apr 6, 2021.

1. r3s

r3s Member

I'm at the point where i've pretty much run out of storage so i kinda wanna look at th enew plotter but no point til pools.

Slug69 likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    Slug69

Slug69 Member

The end of my 24 hour sprint of plotting. Four Powershell windows. I plotted 49 plots in 24 hours. Using 2TB 970 Evo Plus, 500GB 970 Evo Plus, Aorus AIC with 4 x 250GB WD Blue, writing the final plots to four different drives. Using an air cooled 5950x with 64GB ram. (Don't need that much for plotting) Using 8 threads per window and 512 bucket size.

I never really thought I would get past 4TB until I looked closer at what I could do.

3. ben699

ben699 Member

how you finding the aorus with just blues in it? would better nvme net much differance

4. OP
    OP
    Slug69

Slug69 Member

Yes, better NVME's would be significantly faster. For instance I never see sustained performance over 1GB per second through the card no matter what. That might have something to do with the way Windows manages to do storage raid but I doubt it. It is probably more to do with the drives. Still seeing over 700MB per sec for substantial periods of time.

I purchased the blues because they were cheap and available when I picked up the card and wasn't sure at the time if my mobo could do bifurcation so didn't want to invest heavily in fast/large SSD's.

It is plenty fast enough for this and the AIC does work as advertised when on an X16 slot. It worked fine on PCIE 3.0 too.

5. Jag_Guy

Jag_Guy Member

Finally got my dual Xeon system up and running in Unbutu. Running on Madmax with 110gb ram drive, MP600 2TB, 2660v2’s it’s taking about 1hr per plot, which seems a little slow for some reason. I have some weird problems with things being slow so I think there is some sort of issue. Done all the usual thermal checks, and okayed around with some bios settings but no luck.

My gaming PC with 11700 @ 4.8Ghz is pulling plots off in about 45-50mins consistently.

I’m just glad to have it all running in Unbutu, it’s been a big learning curve but enjoying it!

Seems like the 5950x type CPU ‘s really smash through plots. Some guys are getting them done in 15mins.

PiNoY and Slug69 like this.
  6. Jaco

Jaco Member

Put the 2680s in, higher clocks; comparing to the machine I just posted up with the single CPU varient and a lesser chip, yeah that's a bit slower than expected

I haven't had the chance to see how Dual-CPU systems go with it, it might be slowing it down a fraction as it's combining generated data between two chips constantly back and forth - surely it shouldn't matter that much though

7. Jag_Guy

Jag_Guy Member

Yeah I tried the 2680’s and not a huge difference. I’ll post some logs later but it seems to be running into some sort of bandwidth problem or something. It does part 1 of Table 1 really quick, usually 10-13 secs, and uses all of the CPU, but the other stages in table 1 take about 300secs and CPU activity is sporadic. I played around with hyper threading and some of the bios settings but no difference.

I don’t think dual CPU’s are an issue as most of the guys getting fast time have dual Xeons or thread rippers.

8. r3s

r3s Member

Just queued my last 12 plots that will fill up my remaining space, then its wait and hope time.

Will finish up with 605 plots total.

Edit - oh silly me i can fill up the 3 x 1tb NVME drives as well lol, maybe a few more to go :D

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
    Slug69 likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Slug69

Slug69 Member

Are you writing multiple plotting windows to one drive? That can slow you down.

10. Jag_Guy

Jag_Guy Member

Nope just one window.

11. Jaco

Jaco Member

Have you speedtested the NVME out of interest too, make sure that's all OK?

How does the creation log compared to what I posted above with my X9SRi-F Single?

Reply 856

P1 uses all of the ram drive
    P2 and P3 start to use a mixture of ram drive + nvme, shuffling data and running purges / starting compression of everything

CPU will always be doing something, though probably less than 50% usage on the remainders

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
  12. OP
    OP
    Slug69

Slug69 Member

Check that ram speed is setup properly in your bios?

I can't believe we are complaining about one hour plots.

13. Jaco

Jaco Member

At the payout rate of all this frankly it's more fun improving efficiency and building/tweaking a fast plotter than it is actually getting any ROI hahaha

14. fad

fad Member

Anyone doing plotting farms to big harvesters?

I find the transfer speed gets smashed when sending 5 machines to one machine. I added a few extra cables to get more speed with smb direct/multichannel but then get bottlenecks with the raid drives. Storage spaces is pretty slow when dealing with TiBs worth of writes all the time.

I think if I were serious and spending big I would have big 45drive chassis servers running zfs with huge ram caches.

Can’t compete with those YouTube farms with rooms of servers.

15. Jag_Guy

Jag_Guy Member

Haven't speed tested it yet but will check it. I'll upload a log later tonight when I get a chance to jump in front of it, but the time proportions in the log looks very similar to the one you posted. Not sure if it's right or not, but my P1 Table 1 is around 13 secs, then P1 Table 2 is 300+ secs. Not sure if thats indicating something, as going by yours you are P1 Table 1 @ 21sec then 200sec for Table 2? I do notice in general when clicking on things in the OS it does take a while to open even basic stuff like Text Editor (about 10-20secs), it's almost like a chipset driver isn't loaded and it's just struggling in 'safe' mode.

Yep double checked that and running at full speed.

Haha yeah 1hr plots were a dream no more than a month or so ago./

16. OP
    OP
    Slug69

Slug69 Member

What are CPU temps doing?

17. Jag_Guy

Jag_Guy Member

All good sitting on 40-45deg.

18. Jaco

Jaco Member

I mean I do have a bunch of little machines doing plots and transferring to one small harvester hahaha, locally and at work, transfer over the network or bring drives home and dock+transfer

They all finish at different times because they take ages, it's hardly an issue - if I was working with tens or hundreds of plots per day 24/7 it would be.

19. Jag_Guy

Jag_Guy Member

How do you guys farm over several PC's? Do you run a separate Chia blockchain app on each PC, or share all of the plots via network and have all the plots on one single Chia app? My OCD says I'd like to share all of the plots over the network so that they all appear in one nice big number in a single app, but my head it telling me you're better off running the app on each PC the maximise chances and not have latency issues?

20. r3s

r3s Member

I run 2 x 6tb internal drives on my ETH rig over the network shared to my gaming rig which is the plotter/has 2 x 8tb internals and 8 x 4tb and 1 x 8tb usb drives off it so they are all farmed from 1 rig.

block validation time ranges from 0-2-0.8seconds, with a couple of 8second outliers which i think were checking whilst having new plots written to them.

Jag_Guy likes this.