Chia Specific

Discussion in 'Blockchain & Cryptocurrency Mining' started by Slug69, Apr 6, 2021.

1. r3s

r3s Member

I totally forgot that if you find a block for a pool you still get 0.25 XCH which as much as it would suck to not solo mine it at least you get a little bit of a reward.

Slug69 likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    Slug69

Slug69 Member

Yay. The pool I am in has won four blocks in the last three days.

Seeing a notable rise in Chia traffic on my twitter feed nowadays including from the Chia team themselves.

3. r3s

r3s Member

Anybody running an k33/34/35 plots? I made a K33 ages ago for something different, might keep it as a solo plot, are the bigger plots suppose to be any betteR?

4. Jag_Guy

Jag_Guy Member

Everything I have read suggests they are of no benefit. I think the K32’s are anticipated to become observers in 10+ years or something.

5. Jaco

Jaco Member

In time it has been said yes it'll be similar to DAG files where they'll be of no use, but that's a long time away

There are some people doing combinations of all plots in order to get maximum efficiency / 98, 99,100% usage out of their drives which is pretty cool, but yeah

6. Jag_Guy

Jag_Guy Member

I found this tool really easy to work out plot plans vs hdd space: https://plot-plan.chia.foxypool.io/

Jaco likes this.
  7. Jaco

Jaco Member

After some time passed with these in production, even though they have loads more air vents - they're actually the HOTTEST externals I've got. Irregardless of them on their own, sitting idle, or whereever I put them - they get up to 58c doing nothing - and history reports show they've been at 72c at some stage that I've missed

This is with them on their side, or standing up (to which one of the big vents is on top) - nothing changes it

These two new models I've gotten I've had to sit a fan next to them / on them just to keep it in the high 30's low 40's like every other drive I have, these are the ST10000DM005's

Baking themselves,

[​IMG]

Agg likes this.
  8. dr_deathy

dr_deathy Member

Anyone bust a drive yet?

My WD 1000gb 7200RPM HDD i found in the second hand pile has done 130 plots so far, just set it up to do another 80. Health data says all cool lol.

9. xeghia

xeghia Member

I have had one 500GB laptop drive fail in a spectacular fashion, it survived dozens of plots and when I queued up more one morning it just really went to crap almost immediately. It kind of sounded like an angle grinder with some very loud metallic pinging/clicking noises. I've never heard a drive do anything like that before, even the girlfriend popped her head in and was like 'what the heck was that?'

This was using the OG plotter as well, not sure if that matters or not. I've had a pair of Seagate 1TB drives which have done dozens of plots with no issue though, but since switching to madmax I've stopped using them.

10. josh1990

josh1990 Member

I had a faulty 12tb seagate ironwolf (not plotting) that was making some lovely noises and couldn't be viewed in file Explorer. Had no issues with instant refund on that one

11. r3s

r3s Member

I had the crucial P1 nvme drive @40% health, all mechanical drives seem fine so far.

Dual xeon 16core\32thread server with 256gb ram ( 240gb ramdrive setup ) and 8 x 600gb sas drives in raid0 has been churning out plots for over a month now with no dramas, not as fast as new 8core+ processors with nvme's but 0 degredation.

12. Jaco

Jaco Member

Think my 980 pro nvme is down to 42% health or so, just surpassed 1PB of writes - has calmed down since making ram kit primary

3tb in the beginning started getting weak / bad sectors when filling up, stopped using it (2800+ days), half a dozen of my other small drives are tagged with power start-up issues now after a crap PSU in the beginning also

r3s likes this.
  13. r3s

r3s Member

I am replotting a little bit on my gaming rig, gigabyte 1tb 1600TBW drive as secondary and chewing up the kingston A2000 500gb nvme as primary to take the hit, its down to 40%~ i am going to see how low it can go , should have another 32tb of drives to fill this afternoon.

14. Jaco

Jaco Member

Has anybody been activley making backups of the node database files? I did a dumb mistake after work this morning being too tired copying the DBs over to a second rig and accidentally overwrote the live copy while it's running, now it's corrupted (rip) and I need to resync

The old links I have where it was constantly updated no longer work, I've found a sync file that's up to 200,000 but yea that's miles away from completion lol

15. r3s

r3s Member

Bring around a usb drive and i can copy you mine this avo if you want Jaco

I do have multiple copies on different machines but not all are kept up to date, still would require less to resync at least.

Slug69 likes this.
  16. Jaco

Jaco Member

Managed to snag a copy off a friend through the net who I just set up thankfully, should hopefully be all back up tonight :Paranoid:

Thanks for the offer but!

r3s likes this.
  17. r3s

r3s Member

Anybody know how much memory speed effects plotting?
    I can get another 128gb.for my server to boost up to 384gb to then do full plotting on the ramdrive but adding the extra 8 sticks will lower the speed from 1600mhz to 1333, wondering if the speed benefit of not touching the mechanical raid drives will make up for the lower ram speed?

18. Jag_Guy

Jag_Guy Member

I had a play around and on my plotting machine going from 1600mhz to 1866mhz made a considerable difference, from about 45mins down to 35mins. This is with 128gb and MP600 2TB nvme.

19. r3s

r3s Member

I might not bother then, would be another $200 for 128gb more ram but will drop the speed.

20. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

Surely plotting to all RAM would be much quicker than RAM and mech HDD though?