Chia Specific

Discussion in 'Blockchain & Cryptocurrency Mining' started by Slug69, Apr 6, 2021.

1. r3s

r3s Member

I'd run out of drive letters before i ran out of ports lol.

Unless there is a way to add more past the a-z letters.

I actually have a 7 port pci-e usb card installed that has nothing running off it after i got the 2nd hub to give it more length to get under the cabinet rather then running more cables up.

2. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

Don't give them a drive letter, mount to a folder. I created a folder on c: called Mount, then a folder inside for each drive and mounted the drive to its folder.

foldermount.png

3. r3s

r3s Member

Thats all gobbledy gook to me lol, will look further into it and ask for advice if i ever add anymore :D

4. Jaco

Jaco Member

Last time I tally'd up it was 4299 plots amongst 5 or so machines

chiadrives.JPG

chiadrives2.JPG

Main Windows farmer is about 45 drives on the one system, instead of giving drives a letter you just mount it to a folder as suggested above

make a path (C:\mnt for example) , create a folder inside there, then tell the drive in Disk Management to mount to that folder as a shortcut. Its just a way of making the drive accessible (kind of like a Linux environment with traditional Mounting)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
  5. r3s

r3s Member

FML, picked up 6 more 8tb drives for $700 which seemed like a pretty good price for drives that are only 7 months old with receipt, and a 7 bay nas with 4 more 4tb drives lol.

Slug69 and 303-Acid like this.
  6. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

Guess you're not selling that server then! :lol:

7. r3s

r3s Member

Yeah still am, can still plot on my gaming pc, with madmax it isnt that bad anymore , but if i can get it setup asap i can plot twice as fast :)

8. OP
    OP
    Slug69

Slug69 Member

Installed the Nucle wallet on my phone and sent some chia to it from my farm. Took less than a minute to arrive.

Jag_Guy likes this.
  9. Jag_Guy

Jag_Guy Member

How do you transfer out of Nucle? Can you send to ETH wallets or anything like that?

10. OP
    OP
    Slug69

Slug69 Member

As far as I know it is Chia (XCH) only.

11. Jag_Guy

Jag_Guy Member

Sooo we’re under $100 per Chia. Anyone gonna sell up or just HODL?

I fear we’re in for a bit of turmoil in the Crypto markets and we come into holiday season around the world. Could the entire Chia project be under threat?

12. darknebula

darknebula Member

I’d expect a dip in net space and some replot to Chives

13. Jaco

Jaco Member

I counted up the cost of the drives recently versus their resale value, I probably couldn't get half of what I paid so I might as well just let them run

I'll keep it going for now as the wattage is super low, I'm still getting block wins - just hodl for now

Picked up a couple 3080tis recently to get started on what eth miners will eventually move to, rather than buying more drives

Spent way too much on a chia setup to keep adding to it with no mass growth in site

r3s likes this.
  14. r3s

r3s Member

I'll just let mine sit and run i think , most crypto win stories are from people who persevered through the bad mining periods and its pretty low power so solar covers a lot

The thing that pisses me off the most is the client is so fucken flakey, i rebooted ym machine and it drops all plots, all are still in the plots directory list but 1350 plots not seen for no reason, no change whatsoever, its these constant problems when you have to do anything with harvester machines that will drive me to stopping..

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
  15. Jaco

Jaco Member

A couple of mine I used 120gig boot SSDs, to which they're like borderline full from the gigantic db files (plus some other bits and pieces) - I keep bandaid fixing it for now, but that'll need to be resolved soon

My client gets the issue where the whole thing just goes white and unusable, though still running - the program has a "force reload ui" on the toolbar so I guess that's a known thing too lol

16. dr_deathy

dr_deathy Member

Agree i have never had this many issues with other crypto clients.

I have ~300 plots and plan to let it keep going. I didnt spend anything on it just used second hand drives from the workshop and plotted on a few 1tb wd blues.

17. r3s

r3s Member

18. Jaco

Jaco Member

Ah yea I had to pick one of those up for one of my rigs since I didn't have any HBA's leftover, they work well

r3s likes this.
  19. r3s

r3s Member

The other thing that shits me a bit is it is difficult to find a standard sort of case these days with a lot of 3.5" storage bays, most have moved away to 2.5" ssd's etc with maybe 2 old 3.5" storage drive spaces.

20. Jaco

Jaco Member

Thats why these are a thing, heaps of listings as everyone can print them or make them

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/224627745706?hash=item344cdb63aa:g:jBIAAOSw4ddhVAjz

r3s likes this.