Chicken Fried Steak with Creamy Fried Potato and Heirloom Tomato Salsa

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by username_taken, Dec 10, 2009.

1. username_taken

username_taken Member

Chicken Fried Steak is proper Texan comfort food and is basically a tenderized steak cooked the same way as fried chicken. This is my take on it.

Chicken Fried Steak with Creamy Fried Potato and Heirloom Tomato Salsa

Chicken Fried Steak (CFS) is an Austin staple. Usually a CFS is made from a fairly cheap cut of beef which has been tenderized to within an inch of it's life. Being a big fan of slow cooked meats, and recently playing with Sous Vide cooking I was pretty sure I could make a very tender ( yet still nicely pink) CFS out of a quality steak.

[​IMG]

The surprising standout of this dish was actually the fried potato. I had some left over mash from yesterday which I'd kneaded with some flour with thoughts of making gnocci. With all the hot oil around I decided to fry balls of it instead... The rustic round balls after frying looked a lot like small potatos and when bitten into yielded a very tasty soft creamy mash. I also made an entirely forgettable Puree with Daikon Radish.

[​IMG]

Chicken Fried Steak

A good quality Steak ( I used a NY strip )
    Flour
    Cream
    1 Egg
    Salt & Pepper
    Milk
    Chicken or Beef stock

Season the steak generously with Salt and Pepper. Place the steak in a ziplock bag and pour in a dash of cream, seal the bag removing as much air as possible. If you have a vaccum sealer use that instead. Bring a pot of water up to 150F/65C and place the steak in it. Cook the steak for around 2 hours like this.

[​IMG]

When the steak is done, remove from the bag and pour the cream into a small saucepan. Remove any large bits of fat from the outside of the steak to improve the eatability of it. Dredge the steak through some flour making sure it's well coated, then dredge through a egg/milk mix and dredge in the flour again.

[​IMG]

Bring enough oil to completely submerge the steak up to temperature and while it's heating prepare the gravy. Add some milk and stock to the cream in the saucepan and whisk in a tablespoon of flour. Bring it up to a simmer whisking frequently. When its thick enough to stick to the back of a spoon remove it from the heat.

Now that the oil is up to temperature, place the steak carefully in the oil and cook until the batter is nicely browned. Make sure the oil is very hot so that the batter browns quickly without cooking the steak which is already a beautiful medium rare.

[​IMG]

Heirloom Tomato Salsa

1 large Heirloom Tomato
    half a red onion
    a clove of garlic
    half a bunch of Cilantro ( or Coriander )
    a lemon
    a rehydrated chipotle chillie ( seeds removed )
    Salt and Pepper

[​IMG]

Finely chop up all the ingredients. If you want to remove some of the bite from the onion place it in some water with a drop of vinegar for a few minutes, then dry carefully. Season to taste just before serving.

[​IMG]

Creamy Fried Potato

Yesterday's Creamy Potato Mash
    Flour

Add a few handfuls of flour to the potato and knead well. Roll it into a ball and refridgerate for at least an hour ( overnight is better ). Take the potato out of the fridge and roll into balls, flour the outsides to stop them sticking to your hands. Fry them in the hot oil until outside browns.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. pugsley

pugsley Member

That looks great. Might have to give it a go. I always thought of Chicken fried steak as just like a beef schnitzel. That is about as far from a schnitzel as you can get.

I just noticed you're in Texas. Have you always been there? Or moved over recently?

3. Merudo

Merudo Member

I've gotta say, that looks very tasty. Certainly something I'm going to be interested in trying I think!

4. OP
    OP
    username_taken

username_taken Member

Moved here in April from Brisbane.

5. scon

scon Member

Looks delicious, not exactly the sorta thing I'd eat all the time, but I'd certainly give it a go! I love how you're throwing yourself into cooking things american style since moving over, very impressive.

6. sormuijai

sormuijai Member

Actually, it is similar to a beef schnitzel. Most of the ones you get are usually very thin like schnitzel, just that it uses batter/flour vs crumbs. Its also served with a "white country gravy" sauce type thing. Kinda like a white sauce as opposed to the traditional brown gravy we're used to.

7. OP
    OP
    username_taken

username_taken Member

Yeah what he said ... I ignored the tradition and made it with more modern techniques to get something that I wanted to eat rather than a ratty deep fried steak.

8. pugsley

pugsley Member

I would certainly prefer your version than any of the others i have seen.

9. knightfall88

knightfall88 Member

that steak looks amazing. Im not game enough to make the steak but I will try the salad lol.

10. King_Diamond

King_Diamond New Member

I tried this with the left over "KFC" spice mix i had. Was great.

11. Azrael_B

Azrael_B Member

What kind of consistency are we going for here? Just something that barely sticks together, or something fairly flour'ish?

12. OP
    OP
    username_taken

username_taken Member

Not too floury, less flour than say gnocci. Enough to get it to stick together and roll into balls ( and not fall apart in the fryer ).

13. Azrael_B

Azrael_B Member

Well gave them a run last night, and failed miserably. i think the issue was I tend to use a lot of milk in mashed potatoes to get them as creamy as possible... This meant I needed to use a bit of flour, and that's where it all fell apart.

Next time, I'll try making the mash the night before and leaving it in the fridge to dry out a bit. My theory is that if the mash is cold enough, I won't need to use any flour aside from a coating.

14. OP
    OP
    username_taken

username_taken Member

Yeah mine were from the previous days mash. I use butter and cream, so probably needs less liquid than using milk. I don't think I used much more than a handful of flour.

15. BitAddict

BitAddict Member

That looks great - the ones I've eaten over there reminded me more of the German-style veal Schnitzel or Wiener Schnitzel! Might give your variety a go for lunch today :)

16. BitAddict

BitAddict Member

So here's my version then! I didn't have any mash, had to use cherry tomatoes and my red onions were slightly past their use-by date, so I used white ones.

I guess it's a Chicken Fried Black Angus Rib Fillet, Kipfler oven baked sea salt potatoes and cherry tomato salsa :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

it was very tasty indeed - nice way to have a lazy Friday lunch off work ;)

Now to clean the kitchen before the girlfriend comes home!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  17. Coldplayer

Coldplayer Member

is the outer layer still crispy or does it become soggy with all the juices from the steak?

18. BitAddict

BitAddict Member

It was still crispy, only got a bit soggy once I poured the sauce over it.

19. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

That does indeed look absolutely awesome :thumbup:

20. MetalPhreak

MetalPhreak Member

I wish we had Chili's in Australia. They make the beeeeest country fried steak. I'm still trying to replicate the white sauce + seasoning they use on their mashed potatoes :lol:

BTW, steak is currently slow cooking in some warm water :) Will make the mashed potato in it after, and then leave in the fridge so I can flour'n'fry tomorrow night.