Chicken Wellingtons.

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by pugsley, Nov 25, 2009.

1. thrillhouse

thrillhouse Member

Tried this out the other night. Used some asparagus, cherry tomatoes and some olives wrapped in prosciutto.

Turned out really well, I used breast and it still came out juicy. @180C took them out when they reached about 72C internal temp, and rested them for a bit. I put them on a wire rack in a baking tray and the base came out flaky but it gets soggy after sitting on a plate for any amount of time because of all the juice.

I am going to try it with cheese and mushrooms and some fat trimmed thigh meat.

2. INerTIal

INerTIal Das Uber LemMinG

So bit of a thread dig but I made these again tonight.

Pesto & Fetta which was pretty god damned amazing.

Ham, Cheese and Pineapple which was good, needed more ham though.

Garlic and herb, these were to die for and by far the most popular.

Sorry no pics, I was making enough for 6 people and time got away on me. Went down amazingly well and definitely worth doing again.

Also a good use for left over pastry is taking tinned fruit or berries and making little parcels of puff pastry wrapped goodness, that or cheese twists.

3. UB3R

UB3R Member

I opened this thread just to see that very picture... damn it!

4. scorpia

scorpia Member

I tried these in a rush last night.

seems to work well. i still had the soggy bottom even after placing on a cooling tray. but for a first attempt it was great.

next time i need to make smaller chicken breasts with some better fillings. I tried prawns,brie and small amount of garlic . i needed to add more of all and maybe get garlic prawns next time save trying to add the extra's.

but for a first attempt after deciding to grab stuff on the way home i was very impressed. oh and left overs for lunch today :)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  5. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

Bought two nice big breasts today (I love big breasts, hurr durr) and trying this tomorrow night.

Going to try a vego filling because GF isn't a huge fan of seafood and prefers vegies over lots of meat.
    I'm thinking along the lines of sping onions, capsicum, olives, mushrooms, diced and fried off in a pan first, topped with a mix of cheddar and fresh Reggiano parmesan.
    Then the luverly bacon and pastry wrapping. Looking forward to it, will take some pics along the way and post the results. :D

I suspect I'll have to do again in future with something like chorizo sausage, proscuitto-wrapped olives, or some other pork goodness included in the filling. GF will just have to deal. :lol:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  6. scorpia

scorpia Member

theres no reason the 2 you make tonight have to be the same. make one for her and one for you :)

7. Turnip Dude

Turnip Dude Member

Thanks everyone for this, I gave it a go 5 pages into the thread and I have the solution to the Soggy Bottom Syndrome.

1) Tablespoon of Stuffing Mix underneath the chicken. Soaks up the juices and makes stuffing!

2) Use a convection oven and place the parcel on the upper rack. I have one of these:

[​IMG]

Well worth the minimal investment.

8. Lespom

Lespom Member

That's got to be a win, am thinking of making them tomorrow, will give the stuffing mix a try. Often use stuffing mix in place of breadcrumbs.

9. OP
    OP
    pugsley

pugsley Member

Ohh! Good idea!

Will have to try it out. Havent made them in ages!