Chili tolerance: How high can you build it?

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by jamesvdm, Aug 24, 2011.

1. jamesvdm

jamesvdm Member

Has anyone tried building it up to some serious levels of tolerance?

2. bejay

bejay Member

Why would you wanna do that anyway? I'm Indian and I have good tolerance for it but its not really healthy, I usually hit some really hot food if I need to get rid of my flu

3. Zodiac87

Zodiac87 Member

Buy a bottle of this and experiment. I have a pretty high tolerance for heat but my god I have had this for months and still have most of it.

Made with the scorpion chilli, they just got the new record fore hottest chilli with it.

I tried adding a bit more each time but just got NOWHERE with it. I think you need to start very low and move up, even if it seems fairly mild.

4. OP
    OP
    jamesvdm

jamesvdm Member

I need to defeat a particular restaurant's dish.

5. Stone2x

Stone2x Member

I don't think I have a high tolerance but it's higher than my friends and family... 3-4 drops of the Scorpion Strike that Zodiac87 mentioned is nice and warm enough. Anymore than that and it becomes a bit of a throat irritant. It's quite different to my Dave's Ultimate Insanity, Dave's Insanity Limited Edition Reserve, Mad Dog Revenge and Satan's Blood which just give me heat, no irritation.

[edit]
    Anyway, I misread your question!

If you eat chilli every day your tolerance will build...

6. OP
    OP
    jamesvdm

jamesvdm Member

I'd say my tolerance was already above normal. I'll give the scorpion stuff a go.

7. minushuman

minushuman Member

http://www.deathsauce.com.au/megadeath.html

First chile to make my ears ring.

I find this stuff lacking in flavour though so instead of using a half teaspoon of this, I'll use three tablespoons of sambal oelek cause I enjoy the taste of milder chillies.

8. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

I've been fed stupidly hot food since I was a kid. I don't feel the heat of most spicy food, even the really hot ones. However the bowels certainly doesn't like it very much when I eat large amount of overly hot food. :( Have fun building up your tolerance. :lol:

9. OP
    OP
    jamesvdm

jamesvdm Member

Damn I hoped that would also build up tolerance!

10. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Well I typically don't eat overly hot food or add chilli to my food anyway. So maybe my internals just can't handle the sudden influx of chilli. Taste buds certainly didn't mind it though. :D Perhaps if you eat it day in day out, you might be ok.

11. vec

vec (Taking a Break)

Not sure if I've done it on purpose but over the years I've slowly increased my intake of chilli related products.

I can still remember when Tabasco sauce was "whoah!".

12. zdream

zdream Member

Extremely well. I only get a slight tang on my tongue for extra hot Nandos sauce. Can only taste the vinegar in the Tabasco. I eat raw whole chillis with my meals at home.

If anyone has been to A Night In India in glowing Brisbane. Try a vindaloo super action hot x 5 and see how you go ;)

Growing up, parents would eat 2-3 chillis each raw for dinner. By grade 5, my mum packed me a chilli with my sandwich for lunch... Teachers were WTF when they saw me bite into a chilli, take a bite of sandwich, another bite of chilli lol

13. T1tan

T1tan Member

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showpost.php?p=9529053&postcount=40 <-- my review of my megadeath experience... haven't used it since.

14. Stone2x

Stone2x Member

And Megadeath isn't even that hot :p I can pour it into food like a sauce, unlike many of my other sauces and extracts.

15. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

If you gargle and swallow some lignocaine mouthwash (local anaesthetic solution) ... does it numb you to the effects of chilli? It won't stop the stomach upset and diarrhoea, which will probably be epic. Don't worry, lignocaine gel is safe to consume. It is usually used by doctors to numb pain from gastric ulcers. I can procure some for you if you wish ;)

16. scon

scon Member

Be interesting to see what that local anaesthetic would do. AFAIK, capsaicin interacts directly with your sensory nerves, would the anaesthetic block the uptake of it? Be interesting to find out.

I've got a decent chilli tolerance, lived in Pakistan when I was very young and moved all around South East Asia eating everything I could up until my adult years and there's not any "normal" dish that I can't eat. I've never really tried any of the megadeth sauces because I don't really see the point.

The hottest sauce that I have regularly is El Yucatan Salsa Kutbil-ilk de Chilli Habanero, which is hot, but it's not stupid.

17. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Speaking of local anaesthetic, there's also naturally occuring ones. Szechuan peppercorn is a good example. The Mapo Tofu sauce I buy off the shelf actually contains Szechuan peppercorn. When you eat it, it does actually numbs the tongue a little and you get a tingling sensation in your mouth.

This is the one I get:
    http://www.efooddepot.com/products/...icy_bean_sauce_(ma_po_sauce)__hypen__8oz.html

There appear to be 2 versions of it. There's a non-szechuan version which doesn't taste as good and does not contain the same peppercorn.

18. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

funny this came up.

I just returned from the toilet after a night of having an extremely small amount of the Blair's Ultra Death sauce.

1.1 Million Scoville units..

Amazing stuff and has a lot of flavour. A lot of people say realy hot stuff just ruins the flavour, but if you are used to it and expect it, it really can enhance the eating experience.

My next mission is to find a 16 Millions Scoville unit sauce and see what that is like.

19. aXis

aXis Member

Yeah what's the point of numbing your mouth to beat a limit, when what you'll really need is to numb your ring-hole the next day.

Dammit that dude on Man vs Food must go through hell.

20. Zodiac87

Zodiac87 Member

16 mill will kill you dude. Someone actual tried the 3am 11 mill scoville sauce. Put a single rice grain sized crystal into a huge vat of soup and almost had a heart attack!