[PROJECT] Chilled's old skool BMX restoration/build worklog (Mongoose, Redline, Hotfoot)

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by MR CHILLED, Aug 29, 2021.

1. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

You won't believe me but I literally watched this two nights ago! Watched BMX Bandits few weeks back also. Rad was sooo much better a movie though, it was your typical underdog story but Lori was way hot back then and there was heaps of BMX action, logo's and outfits etc. Very cool 80's movie :thumbup:

You know I see heaps and heaps and heaps of people posting on FB after pulling out rusty old bikes from the garage, wanting to get a value on it. And a lot of it is rusty gold! Literally some of the bikes are heaps rusty but worth thousands and people are falling over themselves to get the parts from them. It's definitely worth a look if you reckon you might have some 80's bikes laying around.

mad_mic3, BlueRaven and kombiman like this.
  2. Muzzaroony

Muzzaroony Member

Lori Loughlin was one of my first crushes.

RAD soundtrack was a cracker too, with our own Johnny Farnham(You're the Voice, A Touch of Paradise) creating the two songs for the movie soundtrack. Break the Ice and Thunder in Your heart.

Great workout songs and gets the blood pumping, they are always on my playlist. have a listen,

- Break the Ice

- Thunder in Your Heart

The 80's was the best and would be one decade I would want to relive. Such a simpler time.

BlueRaven and MR CHILLED like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Well the Hotfoot is now basically complete and I've ridden it :) Rides really nicely.

Won't post any more pics of it. Next pics you see of it will be when it's fully complete :cool:. I'm still waiting on the seat, padset, grips and stickers.

Big reveal for Hotfoot coming soon though, I reckon it's really come up great : )

Blue max should also be done by crissy. There was some stuff up with my order so someone else got my remaining bits for it. So just waiting for that to happen. No more sneak pics of that one either, next pics will be when it's all done too.

BlueRaven, DJ Fusion and Dougal like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Those iconic Redline V bars arrived today.....I love them. Of course they look a little smaller then I remember in my childhood, but wow, they're awesome :thumbup:

20211116_125621.jpg 20211116_125626.jpg

BlueRaven likes this.
  5. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Brute force & optimism

You're being a fucking tease and you're loving it, don't lie. :lol:

MR CHILLED likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I'm lovin the project I know that much! It's not without its small problems here and there but it's all going pretty well overall : ) The journey is the fun here buddy :cool:

Seat arrived for the hotfoot today also, but no more pics of that one. Only padset, stickers and grips to go on the Team Hotfoot then full set of final pics! The wait times are excruciating I have to be honest :p

In the next few weeks if all goes to plan and I get my order the Blue Max should be final too :)

Redline most likely go into next year.

7. BlueRaven

/me checks date of OP
    Yeah, I'd have to agree with that.
    Benefits of choosing courier over Auspost... :Paranoid:

Pretty sweet that a retro bike project turned into a 3 bike project and one is already rideable. :thumbup:

MR CHILLED likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Ok maybe one blurry sneak peek :D.....grips arriving this week for the Hootfoot, so that will leave only the pads.

20211117_142416[Blur].jpg

kombiman likes this.
  9. kombiman

kombiman Dis-Member

Appropriate pic quality for the era :lol::lol::leet:

tired and MR CHILLED like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Very good Kombi dude! I thought that might have been a bit too subtle ;)

Finally got the order mix up all sorted with an Aussie website and all the remaining bits for the Mongoose Blue Max will be here some time next week.

Redline will probably have to wait until next year, take a rest over crissy :p

11. money_killer

money_killer Member

loving the build

MR CHILLED likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Couple more items arrived today for the Hotfoot, just a quick glimpse of the grips :D. So that only leaves the padset now :cool:

20211119_132614.jpg 20211119_130730.jpg

mad_mic3, money_killer and JSmithDTV like this.
  13. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Wasn't expecting this but got an Auspost arrival today.....couple of pad sets :cool:

So that completes the Team Hotfoot, final pics and run down coming very soon :)

20211120_145259.jpg

mad_mic3 and kombiman like this.
  14. kombiman

kombiman Dis-Member

I expect action half pipe pics!

mad_mic3, BlueRaven and MR CHILLED like this.
  15. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Too old for that shite :lol: I'd kill myself.

Definitely local skate/bmx park for sure :thumbup:

mad_mic3 likes this.
  16. BlueRaven

So some California Games-style backflip pics are out of the question then. Shame.

17. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

These were kinda going quick and there doesn't seem a huge amount going around so even though the Redline build will most likely be next year I thought I better grab them now : )

Always been a huge fan of the flight cranks, and I'm definitely not alone there! Genuine single pinch FULL wrap flight cranks do go for around $1,000 these days so og stuff was out of the question, no way I'm paying that.

So chose repop double pinch full wrap Redline Flight cranks - 175mm. They look gorgeous.

Screenshot 2021-11-22 075501.jpg

millen and mad_mic3 like this.
  18. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

FINAL 1985 Repco Team Hotfoot

I formally present a completed 1985 Team Hotfoot restoration/build.

Journey

This has been a half and half mix of og and repop parts, mostly og parts though. I have done my best to keep era correct parts where possible, adding a little bling where I can, and parts that match the colours of the overall original Team Hotfoot. At some point I may change the pads to the checkered ones, when I'm actually able to find some.

I started with og frame, forks, head set, crank set, bottom bracket seat stem, seat clamp, head stem and handle bars.....so really I had a fantastic start. Someone had added weird stickers to it back in the day, they were a pain to remove. It received a Acidic acid bath with removed all the rust and brought the frame back to near new condition with the occasional pitting that nothing much can be done with really. This bathing process took a week doing it in various stages due to not being able to find a big enough plastic container. Someone I managed to treat all parts well enough though. Any any remaining parts I could clean up with AutoSol chrome/metal polish.

Repop parts took a while to get delivered due to covid, general delays and sourcing parts from overseas, but about 3 months wasn't too bad in the end.

So far I've ridden it a couple times, but only just around the back yard, been too wet with rain recently :p Rides awesome, no adjustments needed, other than seat stem height and seat position. It does feel a little heavier than my Blue max and Redline but that's to be expected.

Definitely great feeling of achievement reviving something of nearly 40 years back to almost new :)

Parts list

Serial: G0785

Frame: 4130 Chro_moly Triangle Oval Top and Down Tube 1985 Giant Team Hotfoot (og)
    Forks: Chro-Moly, Aero Blades (og)
    Brake Calipers/lines: Dia-Compe Quick Release Alloy MX1000 (repop) / Dia-Compe cables (repop)
    Brake Pads: Genuine Dia-Compe Black 0 Deg OPC30
    Brake Levers: MX123 (Tech-4) Alloy Gold & Black (repop)
    Crank/Chainwheel/BB: One Piece Sugino 175mm Chro-Moly Mighty BMX sprocket and Alloy 43T Spider (og)
    Chain: Izumi 1/2" x 1/8" Black/Gold (repop)
    Head stem: Forged allow SR type (og)
    Head set: Tange head set (og)
    Handle Bars: T Type Pro Bars (og)
    Grips: Oakley Cobra F1 Fuan (repop)
    Seat: BMX MX Style (repop)
    Seat Post: Fluted Alloy (og)
    Seat Guts: Gold generic (repop)
    Pedals: MKS BM-7 1/2" Black (repop)
    Rims: OGK Slant (repop)
    Tyres: Kenda Comp 3 Skinwall in competition setup 20 x 2.125 on the front and 20 x 1.75 on the rear
    Pads: 1985 Team Hotfoot Black/White Lightweight velcro (repop)
    Decals: 1985 Team Hotfoot (repop)
    Colour: Chrome with Black/Gold accessories

Final pictures

This is where we started...

20211002_194343.jpg

This is where we ended up...

20211123_160820.jpg 20211123_160832.jpg 20211123_160845.jpg 20211123_160916.jpg 20211123_160925.jpg 20211123_160936.jpg 20211123_160944.jpg 20211123_160950.jpg 20211123_161002.jpg

mad_mic3, Dougal, tired and 3 others like this.
  19. BlueRaven

Sweet ride dude, the chicks are gonna be so impressed... :lol:

Seriously, great job with the acid bath and bringing it back to as-new. Even if it hardly gets ridden it's still a cool piece of work.
    Love the black/gold theme... I actually had a "limited edition" stackhat in the same colours when I was about 10, birthday gift I think... totally rad nostalgia. :thumbup:

MR CHILLED likes this.
  20. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Gold isn't era correct that I know of, I think it had Silver or Black calipers/levers, but this is the great thing about this, you can choose your own path how you want to do them, add a little bling, or keep to era correct, or half and half, etc.

Gold for me just adds that little bit of bling whilst keeping era correct on all the other gear. The next BMX will be the Mongoose Blue Max which is basically done now and I've actually ridden it. Feels quite a bit different than the Team Hotfoot, probably due to it being much better quality and lighter frame/forks.

Blue Max just needs a couple of final touches and it's done, waiting on retailers to source literally two small parts. No more pics of it until it final :cool:

BlueRaven likes this.