1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

[PROJECT] Chilled's old skool BMX restoration/build worklog (Mongoose, Redline, Hotfoot)

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by MR CHILLED, Aug 29, 2021.

1. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Brute force & optimism

That looks so odd :confused::lol:

MR CHILLED likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yeah red wheels really don't suit it :lol:

Anyways, it's just I can actually ride it :) Damn it rides nice though! Shimano MX30 freewheel at the rear, so much better than el-cheapo freewheels.

I'm so achingly close to finalising it :upset:

Dougal likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Looks like the Redline will be done sooner rather than later :p

Just put a big order in for the remainder of the parts because of some pre-crissy discount deals, so thought what the heck. Ordered..... Dominator seat, Redline chainwheel, all Dia-Compe MX-1000 calipers, Tech 4 levers, MX seat clamp, Tange MX-125 headset, Izumi gold chain for a bit of bling, AME red grips, MKS BM-7 pedals, and layback seat post.

Rock n roll!

4. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Piece of history just arrived today, repop but still very yummy

20211214_113504.jpg

sammy_b0i likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Weeeeee! Rest of the parts arrived for the Redline, see you in an hour or two with a full build :D

20211218_144754.jpg

AllezAllez and BlueRaven like this.
  6. BlueRaven

So we ended up getting the "frame + parts" rough layout pic after all... :)

MR CHILLED likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yeah I don't like to disappoint :D

Progress! Hard parts done now. After some hammering and filing the headset is in and moving sweet, plus chainwheel and seat clamp / stem :thumbup:

20211218_154322.jpg

kombiman likes this.
  8. kombiman

kombiman Dis-Member

A beer or two to enjoy the process?

MR CHILLED likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Bloody oath!

Well it's all done, here's a sneak peek.....not enough sunlight left to take nice pics tonight but she's all done :thumbup:

So happy with how it turned out, might even be my favourite. Will take a bunch of nice shots tomorrow with a full write up.

20211218_183244.jpg

kombiman likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

FINAL 1984 MX-III/Series III Redline

I formally present the completed 1984 Redline restoration/build.

Journey

This was a reasonably easy build as the frame and forks came to me in pretty good condition albeit with some small rust spots in corners. This was more a fun carpet queen build that consists mostly of repop parts. Original Redline parts are incredibly expensive these days.

I have read old magazines to find out the era correct parts so tried to keep that where possibly and I think it's mostly for a Redline of this year. Currently has MX-III decals as they came with the bike but at some point I'll probably change to 600A Series III decals.

I started with og frame, forks, and was able to source a polished DK stem from someone here in Adelaide. Apparently I'm the third owner of this frame as it was shipped from someone in the US who had it since a child and was bought by someone in Aus, then I bought it off them. It received a Acidic acid bath with removed all the smallish rust spots in corners which brought the frame back to near new condition with some patina. No pitting at all on the frame, just some small scratches and flaking occasionally, but it is a frame that is almost 40 years old and was used back in the day. This bathing process took one day in the bath and was dried cleaned and polished with AutoSol chrome/metal polish.

Repop parts didn't take too long to get as I was sourcing all parts from within Aus and they were mostly repop.

Some small riding adjustments needed but first ride was awesome. Slightly heavier than the Mongoose Blue Max but it rides sweet :thumbup:

Parts list

Serial: G0384

Frame: 1984 MX-III/Series III Redline (og)
    Forks: 1984 Genuine Redline
    Brake Calipers/lines: Dia-Compe Quick Release Alloy MX1000 (repop) / Dia-Compe cables (repop)
    Brake Levers: MX123 (Tech-4) Alloy Red (repop)
    Brake Pads: Genuine Dia-Compe 980 threaded (repop)
    Crank/Chainwheel/BB: Three Piece Redline Flight cranks (Twin pinch, full wrap) 180mm, Chro-Moly Redline Flight Chainwheel Black & Silver 44T (repop)
    Chain: Izumi 1/2" x 1/8" Gold (repop)
    Head stem: DK Pro (og)
    Head set: Tange MX-125 Chrome and Red (repop)
    Handle Bars: Redline V Bars (repop)
    Grips: AME Tri (repop)
    Seat: Viscount Dominator 2166 with Gold lettering (repop)
    Seat Post: ProBMX Ch-Mo Seat Post Layback 22.2mm x 450mm (repop)
    Seat Clamp: Dia-Compe 2 Bolt MX150025.4mm Red (repop)
    Seat Guts: Silver generic (repop)
    Pedals: MKS BM-7 9/16" Red (repop)
    Rims: Araya Type 7x 20", Suzue type hubs (repop)
    Tyres: CST Comp 3 Skinwall in competition setup 20 x 2.125 on the front and 20 x 1.75 on the rear
    Pads: 1984 Redline White/Red (repop)
    Decals: 1984 MX-III Redline (repop)
    Colour: Chrome with Red/Gold splash

Final pictures

This is where we started...

20211015_131350.jpg

This is where we ended up...

20211219_102656.jpg 20211219_102703.jpg 20211219_102752.jpg 20211219_102801.jpg 20211219_102807.jpg 20211219_102948.jpg 20211219_102958.jpg 20211219_103006.jpg 20211219_103017.jpg

Last edited: Dec 19, 2021
  11. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

.....cont.....

20211219_103028.jpg 20211219_103112.jpg 20211219_103122.jpg 20211219_103131.jpg 20211219_103153.jpg 20211219_103205.jpg 20211219_103217.jpg

JSmithDTV, BlueRaven, tired and 3 others like this.
  12. kombiman

kombiman Dis-Member

Bear trap scars are/were a right of passage!

Deeb0, BlueRaven and alch like this.
  13. AllezAllez

AllezAllez Member

OMG it's glorious!

The red tyres/rims are super sweet. I don't know much about BMX - is it common for them to have brakes front and rear?

BlueRaven and MR CHILLED like this.
  14. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Thanks mate :thumbup:

In terms of brakes honestly I don't know a great deal about that whole brake culture thing. I thought at one point it was more a mid school thing, but in the end I reckon it's more just personal preference and whether you're doing freestyle tricks or not. Definitely aids in tricks not to have a front, or even a rear brake.

In short: I don't really know :lol:

But I do know I've always preferred have a front brake.

15. tired

tired Member

This thread has been like looking back at every BMX bike I ever wanted as a kid but never got. I had a converted dragster. The suffering was real. My best mates had a BMX and my Malvern Star purple dragster got a black paint job. It's amazing the level of detail to your anguish that can resurface after such a long time lol.

My pedals didn't beat me up too bad from memory but I remember at least twice I leant over too far while going fast through a bend. My big toe hit the road and the skin on the front of my toe got pushed quite a way back. The heat coming from my toe could have welded steel. Another few times I was riding the bike without the chain guard and my leg ending up between the sprocket and the chain: which is a pain one can try to imagine but can't until it has happened to them! I am pretty sure I was wearing jeans or some kinda pants and that likely led to my pants catching.

It's like walking/running into a toe bar: it has to be experienced to be understood.

BlueRaven and MR CHILLED like this.
  16. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

:lol: I had a banana seat dragster before my folks bought me the Blue Max for my birthday. The anguish was very very real when other kids rolled out those beautiful new bikes and for a period of time I had to suffer with my old 3 speed dragster. I couldn't wait to get rid of it in the dumpster. But boy I wish I had that dragster these days, would be worth a mint I reckon. Was a lovely bike in it's day but had it's issues and had lots of rust too.

tired likes this.
  17. BlueRaven

Fantastic job mate, great work.
    Who gives a shit if it's mostly repop, it looks The Business. :D
    Such a good score on that frameset eh!

Looking forward to seeing the Blue Max even more after seeing how well the Redline brushed up. :thumbup:

I think if you intend on ever riding it, even if it's just round the corner to the shops, a front brake is extremely wise (channeling the motoring rant thread...) :)
    Besides which, I'm pretty damn sure some big name stunt/freestyle riders liked the front brake for certain front end tricks etc. so it's legit in terms of history/culture I think.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
    MR CHILLED likes this.
  18. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Thanks : ) Yeah actually it's turned out better than I thought in the end. All the colouring matches and looks like how I remember the old Redlines to look back in my junior days.

Well I've sorted out the hubs, cancelled my order with the last place and re-ordered elsewhere, so they are now on their way, should have them by mid next week. Then just need to build the wheels and all done! It look fantastic right now, just missing the wheels :p

Almost all done so my BMX journey nearly complete :cool:

19. tired

tired Member

One of the more affordable BMX's that I was aiming for was one a mate had - a Red Devil. There were also Blue and Yellow Devils. Another mate of mine had a Sportsworld Team Machine BMX in black but I preferred the Devil's.

MR CHILLED likes this.
  20. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Still on holidays but hubs waiting in my mailbox at home, hopefully don't get pinched out of the mailbox :lol:

Returning Monday so I'd say the Blue Max will be done and ready to show Monday/Tuesday. Very excited!