chimichurri

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by Scorpion1080, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Scorpion1080

Scorpion1080 Member

So I have just come back from Argentinea and have fallen in love with their amazing cooking.. Especially BBQ's..

They simply shit all over anything I have seen in Australia when dealing with BBQ's... Even better than anything I have done on my Kamado.

I am not sure if it is simply the quality of meat, or their style, etc.. but *drool*

*NOTE*
    I have not yet made the recipe I am about to post but will be doing it in the next day or two... I asked for his grandma's chimichurri recipe and an hour ago I got this email, so I am excited and just had to post it.

Oh.. In Argentinea they call Bay leaves, Laurel leaves.
    His Grandma makes her's with laurel leaves.

--The Email--

Sorry for keeping u waiting so long, here´s a chimichurri recipe I got from my grandma yesterday.

Get a bowl and chuck all this stuff in.

* some choped parsley (6-8 tablespoons)
    * 5-6 cloves of chopped garlic
    * 1 tbsp of chilli
    * 1/2 tbsp oregano (fresh)

mix it all up

Add a bit of *boiling* water (5-6 tbsp) plus salt and pepper to taste. Note: put a generous amount of salt but don´t go overboard either. for this recipe I´d use 1-2 teaspoons.

Add 2 to 4 tablespoons of vinegar and top it all up with sunflower or corn oil (that´s about half a cup). Note: don´t use olive oil! I found the taste of olive oil makes chimichurri taste horrible.

Mix it all up and place the mix into a glass bottle, a jam jar, or anything made of glass with a lid on (do not use plastic containers)

Put that in the fridge and forget about it for at least 2-3 days. Some complex chemical reactions will take place during this period of time that will give chimichurri its characteristic flavour.

If you wish you may also add a whole laurel leave to the mix, don´t chop it, just put it there and leave it to react with the rest of the ingredients.

this is the classic chimichurri sauce people use down here. you can also experiment adding thyme, cummin or any other spices but I would try the original recipe first

Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  2. broccoli

broccoli Member

Retard's previously posted a recipe for lamb with chimichurri marinade and I'm making it for my christmas roast. The recipe is different to yours and has got olive oil. I've done mine with olive oil. I'm hoping that it will be yummy (of course:D)

3. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

Thanks for the recipe. I have been meaning to google myself a recipe for some time. I would like to clarify - when you say chilli, do you mean the fresh chopped stuff or something else? Chilli paste? Chilli powder?

4. OP
    OP
    Scorpion1080

Scorpion1080 Member

I actually asked about the chilli.

The family I stayed with get their chilli from a place called Cachi.
    They just call it, "desert chilli".

I have done a little research online and found the following link,
    http://www.uncorneredmarket.com/2011/04/panorama-red-hot-chili-pepper-desert-argentina/

I am not sure on the species of chilli and do not think we can get anything similar in Australia so I plan to make this with a small fresh habanero chill.

*side note* When I was eating and had a close look.. it looked like a fresh chilli, I assume this was due to soaking for 2-3days.. I am assuming it is like a semi dried tomato... not fully dry.. not completely fresh.

*suggestion*

I will be making this on the 27th of December and trying it on the 29th of December. I will post photos..
    If anyone is unsure and does not want to waste their time. Please come back on the 29-30th of DEC and I will give my verdict on how it tastes and photos.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  5. GrueHunter

GrueHunter Member

I've lovingly crafted a half dozen different batches of chimichirri using genuine Argentinian recipes (the latest was this one)...

...and they all taste like cheap bottled Italian salad dressing.

6. broccoli

broccoli Member

I made it for my lunch and it tasted really nice.

7. Dogo

Dogo Member

Regarding "parsley" , is that flat leaf parsley?

8. RETARD

RETARD New Member

love Argentinian food :leet:

FWIW here is how i made my Chimmichurri

Chimmichurri Marinade:

6 cloves garlic
    3 fresh bay leaves
    2 jalapeno peppers, coarsely chopped (or 1 green & 1 red chilli from coles)
    1 tablespoon salt
    1/2 cup white wine vinegar
    1 tablespoon chilli powder
    1/2 cup finely chopped coriander
    1/2 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
    1/4 cup finely chopped oregano leaves
    1/4 cup olive oil (I prefer a fruity olive oil)

The thread with pics is here:
    http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=953402

pretty simple to make but would agree to the flavours get better with age .. as do most marinades :)
    Keen to see how you go!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. KANNIS

KANNIS Member

My sister in law does this all the time. I pour it over everything, its amazing.