China Phones - Recommend your Piece of Crap!

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Smokin Whale, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

China phones are getting better and better every year. One interesting speciman I came across today was the HOMTOM HT7, which is a 5.5" 720p Phablet running Android 5.1 for... under $85 delivered. :eek:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/5-5-...49&btsid=0375b801-bc53-488b-b0dc-6748d1b87a5b

Naturally, there are probably a pile of corners that have been cut. 8GB flash and 1GB of RAM and no Optus 3G is annoying - but the SD card slot and removable battery makes up for that. It also comes with a case and screen protector. The rest seems decent for the money. It should also be pretty easy to root, meaning you can clean up the OS and basically have a cheap as chips (crappy) Nexus phone.

Other notable china phones that seem decent are the Lenovo K3 Note and the Xioami Redmi Note 2 - both decent phablets under $200 delivered (once you sort out the software of course - stock is usually pretty bad).

If you have an interesting China phone to share, feel free to post it here.

2. yellows2k

yellows2k Member

besides the price, why would u bother?
    i have chinese students that work for me, and none of them use or would even consider using them. they use apple or samsung products

3. OP
    OP
    Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

I'm sure all your Chinese students (not that it matters what ethnicity they are) are all rather tech savvy and have tried other devices like the Lenovo K3 Note and Xioami Redmi Note series :rolleyes:

No, they're not the best devices in the world. But the bang for buck factor is there. What's popular isn't necessarily what is the best value.

4. yellows2k

yellows2k Member

actually, they arent tech savvy, they are females, and they want something that works, isnt poor quality and i guess is a status symbol, hence apple.
    i liken it it how americans and australians all push the whole "buy local" mantra with their home grown products, yet chinese people have no such affiliation, as they know that most chinese brands are poor quality.
    which is my point, why would u bother going with unknowns? as u mentioned, if u are tech savvy and can root phones, and do mods and tear them down, then sure, go ahead. but as i said, most people that buy products, just want them to work, reliably. and thats where established names move to the front of the line.
    bang for buck only works when a phone works as its supposed to, and lacking functionality as u mentioned is a huge negative in my books
    i guess chinese names like huawei, xioami and the lenova are slowly starting to make inroads, but the really obscure ones are still sketchy imo

5. OP
    OP
    Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Rolleyes = sarcasm.

Of course there are better quality phones out there. Not the point of this thread.

6. treeplant

treeplant Member

huawei nexus 6p :D

7. mtma

mtma Member

My relatives have been through a number of Xiaomi models (not from breaking them but they just keep buying newer ones) and they seem to fare OK.

I would stay away from truly no-name, because at least with Huawei/Xiaomi/Lenovo they are popular enough to drive third party support in both firmware and problem diagnosis. Whereas if you buy one of those happy go lucky ones, 'no one will hear you scream'.

8. Asteroid

Asteroid Member

Yeah if you've ever tinkered with any of those random Telstra badged ZTE phones you would have found that while the hardware is ok they have virtually no community support. There's generally a way to root them but forget custom roms, too obscure.

9. Slugoid

Slugoid Member

I've tried many phones over the past 5 years, from cheap Xiaomi phone all the way to iPhones. As with most Chinese products, they look great on paper with the specs and features, but when you start using them, small niggles crop up. Then there's the problem of updates and support. My mum's Redmi 1 stopped updating since 4.2 Jellybean, and my Xiaomi Pad is stuck on 4.4 Kitkat. Both will probably not update any further.

Chinese phones have their place. If your requirement isn't high and don't want to spend too much, brands like Xiaomi, Huawei, ZTE are great, and they are the only Chinese phones I will even look it. If you want something robust, reliable, prompt update, great support, look elsewhere. Actually, if you want all that, it's either a Google Nexus or iPhone.

10. General_Cartman

General_Cartman Member

Xiaomi and Meizu produce devices as good if not better Samsung / LG in my experience (at the same price point that is).

Meizu Metal and Xiaomi Redmi Note 2/3 are unbelievable value currently.

11. power

power Member

Testra ZTE T54/55 - people are often on the hunt for a "basic" phone, these things are brilliant we give them to truck drivers and just went from T54 to T55 - in 3 years we've had one broken T54 (charge port lifted off the PCB), I'm hoping the T55 (which looks identical) fares as well, I'm disappointed they dropped the battery door lock a real silly move imo.

Everything else cheap and chinese can gdiaf they will cut down on the things you need the most and as a result end up just crap and you are 10* better off with a slightly old/used flagship. Most times even a 2 year old high end phone will wipe the floor with them.

don't get me started on the tablets that remove the play store and replace it with something else - security nightmare - no, just no.

12. OP
    OP
    Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

I totally forgot about the Huawei Y550. For $50 it's insanely good. Mum loves it, and there's no sign of lag which is amazing for a 1GB phone. Camera kinda sucks, but that's my only gripe really.

I bought that HOMTOM HT7. Going to turn it into an in-car Android thing for maps and music. You can root and install TWRP and the ROM is basically AOSP based off stock mediatek ROM (which is fine on my K3 Note) with play store so it should be OK.

According to benchmarks it's in between a Tegra 3 and Snapdragon 400 (Think Galaxy S3, or Huawei Y550) which is fine for day to day stuff.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  13. OP
    OP
    Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Another cracker of a phone - The Alcatel Pixi 3 4.5 4G. 1Ghz Quad Core, 1GB RAM, 4G Plus, 4.5" display - $29 :eek:

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/233576

Mostly out of stock now though at that price.

14. General_Cartman

General_Cartman Member

LeTV Le1s is another one I really wish was available here.

15. Sebstar

Sebstar Member

I bought a Lenovo K3 Note last year when all the hype was happening and I have to say it's the last time I'll buy a china spec phone. Yeah, okay, the specs are great and when it works, it works well but it's got so many little issues.

Even Cyanogenmod couldn't save it at this point

16. OP
    OP
    Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

The Lenovo suffered from particularly shitty software. I've been using Phoenix ROM for some time now and it has been flawless for me. Although saying that I'd be buying a Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 instead these days.

17. stenchlord

stenchlord Member

Huawei Honor 5X

http://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_honor_5x-7590.php

https://www.android-enjoyed.com/huawei-honor-5x-dual-16gb-4g-lte-silver-unlocked.html#.VrfaKlKZius

$262AUD

Qualcomm MSM8939 Snapdragon 616
    (Quad-core 1.5 GHz Cortex-A53 & quad-core 1.2 GHz Cortex-A53)
    (Adreno 405)
    2GB of RAM (apparently some models have 3GB though)
    16GB Storage
    microSD Card up to 128GB
    5.5-inch 1080 x 1920 IPS Display
    13-megapixel f/2.0 rear camera
    5-megapixel f/2.4 front camera
    3000mAh non removable battery
    Fingerprint reader
    Dual SIM

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  18. Sebstar

Sebstar Member

It's not just software for me. No matter what ROM I use, my mic cuts out at random times during phone calls.

But yes, it's mostly shit software. I think I'll go for a rooted HTC or Galaxy next time. Can't afford to spend 1k on a phone though!!!

Not all bad though. The battery life on the K3 is amazing.

19. OP
    OP
    Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Yeah yours has issues. No problems on mine (now my dads), he loves it, no problems at all.

I agree, spending 1k on a phone nowadays is just bonkers.

20. stenchlord

stenchlord Member

I don't think many people actually spend $1k on a phone.

I'd say most people just sign up to a plan or recontract for whatever phone they like the look of at the time.

I normally will buy my phones outright and budget $600-$700.

This year though I signed up for a contract for the first time in years but I signed up for the plan, not the phone. Phone was just a bonus, ended up keeping it and selling off the phone I had bought earlier in last year.

As for cheaper phones.

LG Nexus 5 16GB for $273 ain't bad either.

https://www.android-enjoyed.com/lg-nexus-5-d821-16gb-white-3g-unlocked.html#.VriEFFKZius