China Phones - Recommend your Piece of Crap!

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Smokin Whale, Feb 2, 2016.

1. OP
    OP
    Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Masses of people spend 1k (or close) on a phone. They just take out a loan to pay it off (in other words, they go on a plan) :p

The one thing that very few china phones can do is 700mhz LTE. Which brings me to the Taiwanese Asus Zenfone 2 550ML, which is around $240 or so and actually does support 700mhz LTE :thumbup: Cyanogenmod is pretty stable on it too.

Not bad but it's a little hard to swallow considering the Xioami Redmi Note 2 is $175 and arguably is a better phone once you flash CM.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  2. OP
    OP
    Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Got my $80 HomTom HT7. Not a bad phone at all, aside from the totally bizarre bezels which means that the headphones don't quite reach into the headphone jack :tongue:

Apparently an adapter is in the mail, but damn, that's a pretty major fail there. Kinda tempted to drill into it since it's just the plastic that's too thick.

Edit: Drilled into the bezel a bit (just using my hand and a drill bit) and it works now. Audio quality and loudness is definitely on the low side. Not a great audio chip at all, but you get what you pay for. The Alcatel Pixi 3 4.5 4G has much better quality.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  3. bennyg

bennyg Member

Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro - $260 delivered with express shipping - put the order in on Saturday, shipped from HK Tuesday arvo, arrived first thing Thursday

Looks good (I prefer understated minimalist design), very quick, few gripes out of the box with the stock Xiaomi OS skin but a couple of downloaded widgets and settings have got rid of all major and 90% of minor gripes (e.g. had to change the left button from recent tasks menu back to stock Menu function for some apps like Gmote), no overheating the thing gets barely warm under heavy use which apparently is a problem with the Mediatek version of the Redmi Note 3

microSD slot which means migration was as easy as moving the storage from the old phone into new.

1080p display is very sharp and clear (duh) and despite the overly diffuse screen protector it came with (kills viewing angles) and I haven't got around to putting the tempered glass one on yet which should improve it further.

Snapdragon 650 version which is upper midrange 4 slow + 2 fast core CPU platform (vs the older, slightly cheaper Mediatek 8+2 core vanilla Note 3 which is slightly faster on multithread but much weaker single thread and weaker GPU)

Saved ~$40 bucks and got the cheaper 2Gb/16Gb version over the 3gb/32gb which may prove to be a bad move as a couple of times a game in the background has been autoclosed in the background after taskswitching only once. Not sure if due to a ram optimisation 'feature' of the OS tho (will see when I bother to flash CM at a later date)

4000mah battery lasts an age, heavy use gets well over 2 days, I used to use up a (yumcha) 6400mah battery within most days on the SGS3. Takes a while to charge though the standard 5W - less than 10% per hour - there's supposed to be a 'fast charge' capability I haven't used stock charger much yet (never like the Chinese plug + cheap adapter setup).

I'm seriously liking the back side fingerprint sensor for instant unlock.

5.5" not too big for one hand use either. Took a week to get used to it (same story as with each new phone I've had which has been 1/2 to 3/4 inch bigger than the last despite weighing about the same)

4. sanjay

sanjay Member

the infocus M808 looks seriously tempting as a cheap chinaphone - only concern to me would be the fact that it'll likely never get marshmallow (although some infocus phones are getting the update OTA).

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/245298

5. General_Cartman

General_Cartman Member

The snapdragon variant should see pretty good community support too. I have the 3/32GB MediaTek version as I got it sent over from China when it came out. It has a pretty damn good CM12.1 build now and I get much better battery life than under the bloat that is MIUI. I wouldn't be surprised if the Snapdragon version had a stable CM13 shortly.

6. okisub

okisub Member

I have the MTK version note 3 running cm12.1 as well. I was so impressed with it I bought a Redmi 3 for my wife.
    We are both extremely pleased with them for what we got for under $200AUD each.

7. OP
    OP
    Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

8. General_Cartman

General_Cartman Member

Hopefully it gets a good developer following like the Zenfone 2 did. CM13 is pretty solid on it now. Thankfully they went with a Qualcomm chipset in the 3 and not MTK. The LeEco 2 looks amazing for the price, but because it has the Helio X20, there will be fuck all custom roms. Definitely nothing based off AOSP.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  9. OP
    OP
    Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Mediatek SOCs tend to get factory AOSP ROMs pretty easily (there were heaps for the Lenovo K3 Note when I was playing with it). Just don't expect CM I suppose, or for AOSP to work 100% (proprietary things like double tap to wake and notification LED tend to be a problem). The LeEco probably won't get a huge amount of attention though.

10. General_Cartman

General_Cartman Member

They do get AOSP factory roms, which are usually ports from other MTK devices, but no source-built AOSP. For example, the AOSP rom floating around now for the Redmi Note 3 is still based on Android 5.0.2. No doubt it still has this massive security bug. No security patches or anything. CM tends to work OK with the prebuilt MTK kernels but it's luck of the draw really. The CM12.1 build for the Note 3 has up-to-date security patches at least. It's a shame the MTK also suck at building android (their stagefright implementation was broken for ages). If they'd just give their code to the community, we'd see MTK devices perform better.

11. alexb618

alexb618 Member

i went from a samsung s7 edge to a xiaomi mi4c and couldnt be happier with my $275 (delivered) phone

12. josh1990

josh1990 Member

My Nexus has packed it in (power button), rather than get it fixed I've decided to move on to something else. I was looking at the Oppo F1 due to the 20% eBay sale, however I noticed on Ozbargain that you could get a Xiaomi Redmi 3 Pro (3gb/32gb) for around $213 delivered. At this price I won't cry if it doesn't perform as well as the Nexus 5 (which cost at least twice the Xiaomi). Hopefully see it by the end of next week. Will update my thoughts here :thumbup:

13. WJR

WJR (Banned or Deleted)

I had a Xiaomi Note 2 which was decently speced and performed okay but it still felt like a poverty phone for some reason.

14. General_Cartman

General_Cartman Member

If it's the Snapdragon 650 one, you should see a nice performance improvement over the Nexus 5.

15. OP
    OP
    Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

The stock UI doesn't impress me. I don't consider it a "poverty phone". There aren't many frills but it runs pretty nicely for me under CM12.1.

16. josh1990

josh1990 Member

Snapdragon 616, the redmi note 3 pro has the 650

17. General_Cartman

General_Cartman Member

Yeah my bad. Misread what you wrote. You've got 4 more cores to play with, but they aren't as fast, compared to the Snapdragon 800 in the Nexus 5. I've got the MTK version of the Note 3 which has a similar SoC and it's fine

18. josh1990

josh1990 Member

Have requested a cancellation. Fuckers want an extra $32 for DHL as TNT doesn't ship from warehouse, yet is an option on checkout. That or wait 15-30 days. Have ordered the oppo f1 with the eBay sale. Same processor just less battery. I need it asap and the 24 month warranty is attractive.

19. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

As long as your prepared for full on open access to all ur activity?"!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  20. OP
    OP
    Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Just order from a different seller? There's a heap on Aliexpress.

I looked at the Oppo F1 briefly, didn't like the software, and it's no-where near as popular as the Xiaomi so I doubt there would be much in terms of custom ROMs and what-not.