China Phones - Recommend your Piece of Crap!

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Smokin Whale, Feb 2, 2016.

1. dcyloo

dcyloo Member

Well hopefully you are able to get the notifications all back for your uses. :)

I'm disappointed that the software design and management of battery and auto-start of applications can't be more bundled together. I get it that battery management is an important component for phones. Let all the apps run free and you'll never have a day's worth of power but the lack of information toward creation of exceptions and the disjointed multi-step way to create exceptions is something that might be hard even for a power user who isn't used to the concept of the battery management and auto-starting system.

2. General_Cartman

General_Cartman Member

Don't hold your breath for LineageOS, OPPO decided a few years ago to completely ignore the GPL and not release any Kernel source.

3. Rod911

Rod911 Member

Phone was ordered and finally delivered yesterday. I am not used to handling a 5.5" phone and did find it awkward at first. My wife was indifferent, but found it ok.
    It's a very snappy phone powered by a Snapdragon 625 with 4GB of RAM. It didn't feel like it slowed down, but then again, my wife really only uses her phone to take pictures of our kids, Facebook and Messenger. Regarding the UI, both she and I have gotten used to Xiaomi's MIUI interface (I have an Mi 5s), so the vanilla Android experience did take a while (a few hours) to get used to. I did have a Nexus 5 (LG) previously, so was aware what I was getting into, but still missed the oh yet simple things like MIUI's dropdown task notification area, especially the screenshot button. We didn't take that many pictures with the camera just yet, but with the few that we took, they were certainly better than her previous 3S Prime and maybe a little bit worse off than my 5s.
    Overall, happy with the purchase and would recommend. :thumbup:

4. yaphax

yaphax Member

I got a ZTE Axon 7 from officeworks for 355. Incredible value for money given the specs you get... So far been pretty good, just need to get used to the slightly different interface to Samsung (nothing major). Camera takes way too long to get ready though (app just takes too long to open, but other apps are fine)

5. trevor68

trevor68 Member

Great Phone, surprisingly good battery life too. Looking forward to the Oreo update for it in April.

6. stenchlord

stenchlord Member

Picked up a Xiaomi Redmi 5A for mum and for $90USD I'm pretty impressed.

It's a huge upgrade for her coming from a Samsung Galaxy J1 (dual core, 512MB RAM, 4GB ROM, 4.3" 480x800 TFT, 5MP/2MP cameras, 1850mAh battery, Android 4.4.4 KitKat).

The Snapdragon 435 Octa-core is just in a different league, having a larger 5.5" 720p IPS screen will make usability easier for her with her failing eyesight, 2GB RAM and 16GB ROM is plenty specially since it's running MIUI 9.0 on Nougat. Cameras are pretty damn good for a budget phone and the autofocus is just incomparable to the J1.

Overall just a damn fine upgrade for such a small amount of cash. Makes me a little ashamed that I carry around a flagship phone in my pocket when I could be getting pretty much the same features for a percentage of the cost.

7. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Harvey Norman have the recently released Huawei Nova 2i aka Mate 10 lite for $388, or Price match at JB, until I think Jan 21. A very solid 5.9in 2:1 job. . Definitely worth checking out if you want to pick up a midranger quickly /locally.

It's One of those Phones with no stand-out drawcard, Just does everything well for this price point. Huge improvement over the Oppo F1s i had prior ( I really didn't dig OPPO's ColorOS and it's attempt to imitate iOS - Quite horrible. Was also Shit build in comparison... nor did I dig the multiple hardware failures in the space of 17months .(prox sensor stuck on, LCD shat itself) - essentially the end of OPPO for me - at least for some time)

That said I was nervous Huawei's EMUI might also annoy me , based on previous experience with a much older version, but was pleasantly surprised. It's come a loong way - unobtrusive, extremely snappy (considering the hardware specs) and not too far off stock android.

Build quality is typical huawei -Superb.
    Battery life very good (3340MAH + a 14nm A53 based SoC )
    Dual F and R cameras are nice touch.
    Lacks NFC, and USB-C .

Yeah That's a steal for the specs.. I'm after an affordable model for a gift - very tempting!.. Where'd you pick it up?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  8. stenchlord

stenchlord Member

9. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

ta!, assumed it would be GB but price is a bit higher now - 99USD - still a bargain

10. General_Cartman

General_Cartman Member

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  11. Azrael

Azrael Member

After a phone for general use, mainly in the car and for playing audio. In-car use is just as a mounted GPS, so something grunty enough to run Waze, HereWeGo and Google Maps is required. Will be just tethered to my phone. Audio use is as a basic FLAC player, so anything should work in theory. Have an Ulefone U008Pro that I have been using for this, but it is getting repurposed.

What should i get?

12. power

power Member

13. Azrael

Azrael Member

Can they reliably run the mapping apps though? On paper they are pretty much the same specs as the old Android 5 HU i had in the car... and it was TERRIBLE at loading/running Waze and a 5min wait from car start to leaving if you wanted to use Google Maps for navigation.

14. sanjay

sanjay Member

id recommend a second hand galaxy s4/s5, galaxy note 3/4 or LG G4. youre right, a lot of cheaper chinese devices dont have the power (or the GPS accuracy) to run the kinds of things you want them to run reliably.

15. power

power Member

i haven't used it extensively but we bought them for sales reps - i used a couple a few times and yes mapping seemed to load just fine.

16. Hater

Hater Member

iPod Touch.

iPad Mini if you need a bigger screen, might be a case of one being too small and the other too big, however...

The non cellular versions are cheap as chips second hand.

17. Azrael

Azrael Member

Pretty much. Have a 5C 6S and a iPad mini 4 and as you say the phones just too small the iPad just too big.

18. BloodDonor

BloodDonor Member

Bought a friend a Letv LeEco Le S3 X626 4G RAM from Ali Express, about $130 USD, huge upgrade from her P8 Lite... looked at several reviews online before I bought it, all were very positive

19. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

will probably need a new phone in the next month or so, so better start looking now

budget ~ $500

want something that will get OTA updates to the latest Android versions if possible, don't want to stuff around too much ongoing with custom stuff (happy to do so initially though)

what's out there?

EDIT - needs to be dual sim!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  20. TomJ

TomJ Member

So, I've just ordered my piece of crap! A Xiaomi Redmi Note 4X. Not a bad set of features for $230 delivered (Code: GOOG10 works for $10 off over $200)

GRIPE: This was because I am using an even crapperier ZTE Blade A476 at the moment since by Nexus 6P died. Not half and hour after I order the Note 4X I got a text from Optus saying my repair request is completed and I can pickup my Nexus (or replacment). Sigh!

https://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/xiaomi-redmi-note-4x-4gb-ram-64gb-4g-dual-sim-dark-grey.html

- 5.5 inch screen, 1920 x 1080 pixel display
    - Snapdragon 625 Processor
    - Adreno 506 GPU
    - 64GB Storage Capacity +4GB RAM
    - 13MP back camera + 5MP front camera
    - Wifi 802.11 a/b/g/n
    - Bluetooth v4.2
    - Nano-sim+Micro-sim, Dual Sim
    - 4100mah
    - MIUI 8