China Phones - Recommend your Piece of Crap!

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Smokin Whale, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I have an R11S. Very happy with it. I've been looking at the R15 with interest, but I can't justify upgrading to the new model when the older one is still a great phone. Screen is fantastic. Battery lasts a couple days. Also has a micro USB port, its only downside for me. Also has fast charge, 5 minutes charge for 2 hours talk time is pretty cool.
    I hear people bitch about Color OS, but honestly, I find it intuitive and quick. Predictive text is not especially good though.

I love it, no plans to switch at this point. Its also a very attractive phone IMO. Great phones, but I'm not sure they fit in this thread, they are neither cheap or pieces of crap. Just an IClone when it comes down to it, not unlike the Iphone X but waaaay cheaper and with a superior screen.

2. Bigtosser

Bigtosser Member

Actually bugger all. Honestly my last phones were LG v20 and Samsung s8+ and besides the predictive text being a bit shit. I couldn't justify spending twice the money for 10%=better speed. I guess.
    I don't even know why I said that. Its a really good phone. I can't speak as a gamers phone though. I never do that.

3. Azrael

Azrael Member

FWIW, as a single device to do maps, music and RaceChrono i ended up with a Nokia 3 courtesy of the Vodafone/Woolies half price thing for $90.

Extra bonus that it works with my Three mobile UK SIM overseas.

archie likes this.
  4. Rod911

Rod911 Member

Just placed an order for a Pocophone F1 (6GB/128GB version). It's for the wifey to replace her existing Xiaomi A1. Her screen on the A1 is smashed to bits. I have purchased a replacement screen which I will try to fix it with. The A1 will then be handed down to my son, once I hopefully fix it.

...and so continues the phone merry-go-round.

Originally wanted to wait for the 11/11 sales over in AliExpress, but they now charge GST. Instead, saw a good price for it over in GearBest and ordered from them instead as they don't charge GST and the phone will be delivered within 10 business days.

5. doug81

doug81 Member

6. Rod911

Rod911 Member

7. sanjay

sanjay Member

Wow, the Mi Mix 3 looks amazing. going to keep whinging about no headphone jack, though (although with oneplus removing theirs we're left just with samsung and LG now).

8. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Oppo's also have a headphone jack and are really nice phones. Only minor downside is micro USB instead of USB C.

9. Catweazle

Catweazle Member

Just grabbed myself a 'Telstra Superior phone (It's an Alcatel 3V) and had a play around with it. Cheap enough, and it'll certainly meet my needs as soon as I equip it with 128Gb Micro card.

10. General_Cartman

General_Cartman Member

Biggest issue with Oppo is they blatantly refuse to release their kernel source as they have decided that the GPL shouldn't apply to them.

11. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

This has always been a concern of mine and frankly I don't have a mobile atm as I hate them with a passion. I spend most of my working day on PC's then come home and either stream or game on other PC's for 1-3 hours. When I walk away from them I want a clear break from electronics for a while and either read a book or just look out the window, go to gym, etc;

My phone is spying on me, so I decided to spy on it
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10...n-me-so-i-decided-to-spy-on-my-phone/10306586

I would be inclined to think that a piece of crap from China would be even more loaded with spyware crap...............

Interested to see if anyone tries this themselves.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  12. grrrr

grrrr Member

So slightly off topic. I got a (cheapish, chinese) lemfo lem x smart watch. It has the new SOC with more 3g / 4g bands and a massive 2" edge to edge screen (at the cost of a flat tyre). Cost me $242 delivered including GST from the official Lemfo vendor on Aliexpress. Pretty happy with it. (The new samsung watch phone is supposed to be $650 and can only be used with telstra in australia due to the telcos being dicks about the esim)...

The work phone was 2 sim and I had my private sim in that phone but the second sim stopped working once the 2g network turned off. I didnt want to carry 2 phones so I have opted for a phone + watch.

I am much slower at texting when using it. But the screen is big enough to read webpages and emails. It is massive as a watch but you get used it quickly. Speaker is pretty good too for a watch, roughly on par with a phone. The 8M pixel camera is pretty bad, I can only imagine how bad the other watches are with 2M pixel cameras.

Another pro is the GPS antenna is in the watch rather than in the band. Also means you can swap out the bands.

13. mr626

mr626 Member

Well, I've had my A1 for just over 6 months. It's been a great phone- really good bang for buck.
    In the end, I decided to put LineageOS on there, and with the Google camera and Magisk it really is a great phone that can pretty much do anything.
    I haven't missed B28, even though I'm not often in metro areas I still seem to get on ok with Aldi Mobile.

Anyhow, my wife is in need of a replacement phone, so the A1 is going to her. Which means new phone time for me :)
    After lots of research, I've ordered a Pocophone F1. The positives far outweigh the negatives for me (at least on paper anyway). I'll give the standard rom a shot initially, but worst case I know that the bootloader can be unlocked and there's already a few custom rom options around.

Anyone else got the Pocophone? What are your thoughts on it?

14. Rod911

Rod911 Member

The PocoF1 I ordered for my wife came in today. It is replacing her A1. I've got to admit, I am jealous and I'm still rocking an Mi5s.
    She got the 128GB version. From setup of it, it was so easy transferring the old Google profile across the new phone. Using it is easy as well as she has previous experience with MIUI. The camera is better than A1. Not sure if it beats my 5s as we haven't tried taking daylight photos (she unboxed it when I got home from work).
    You will be surprised to find the F1 size is the same as your A1, but screen real-estate is much more. The weight, on paper looks something to be concerned about, but the extra 30g over your A1, is nothing. My wife is more picky about weight and she said she couldn't tell the difference.

15. mr626

mr626 Member

That's great, confirms most of what I was hoping. Thanks :)
    Glad your wife is happy with it too.

I got the 6GB Ram / 64GB version in black.
    Not concerned about the weight, when I know that there's a 4000mAh battery under the hood.
    The camera should be better in all conditions I believe. Still missing OIS, but can't have everything (although a couple of reviews mention that the hardware can do it, it just isn't active for some reason).

I'll see how I go with MIUI- haven't used it before, I'm generally not a fan of most companies 'interpretation' of android. But I'll give it a shot at least.

16. mr626

mr626 Member

Got my PocoF1, initial thoughts = its great.

MIUI 9 isn't terrible, still a few things I can't work out though:

-Where do I change the display timeout value?
    -How can I have Gmail show me a notification when I get a new email, but NOT have a sound?
    -Is there any way to change what is displayed in the status bar (either side of the notch) ?

Overall though, really happy. Camera is excellent too.

EDIT: to answer my own questions:

-Display timeout adjustment isn't under 'display' its under 'Lock screen and password'
    -Notifications are fairly broken on the F1 at the moment- there doesn't seem to be a way to do either of my other questions. Devs are 'working on it'

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  17. 2SHY

2SHY Member

How are you guys finding mobile reception on the F1? Considering this phone for some reason.

18. MiloVasic

MiloVasic Member

Ive been using my PocoF1 for about a week now. Still pretty happy.
    Went from LG V20.
    Still tweaking settings, and I use Nova Launcher which is good. Easy experience to transfer from one phone to another.

19. mr626

mr626 Member

Reception seems better than my previous phone (Mi A1) in the same areas. I'm on Aldi Mobile and spend most of my time in regional NSW.
    I'm not sure if having a non-metal body helps?

20. Rod911

Rod911 Member

Like mr626, wifey is saying her Poco F1 has better reception than the same phone mr626 had - Mi A1. She's on the Optus network via Jeenee.