China Phones - Recommend your Piece of Crap!

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Smokin Whale, Feb 2, 2016.

1. oculi

oculi Member

hmm, that does sound annoying. How is it apart from that?

2. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

His main use case is phonecalls/messages and reading books on the kindle app, so not a heavy user.

From my use with it, helping set it up and troubleshoot that annoying issue..The settings can be difficult to find. A lot of googling to find out what it's called, followed by fruitless hunting through the various settings until realising there's a settings search and you just need to search for the right keyword to have the right setting brought to you. Trying to shortcut that and just search straight up though has been a little hit and miss, often the particular setting isn't called what you think it should/might be.

I've found the screen to be very nice, bright, colourful, generally pleasing to look at. The battery life has been fantastic for him, I've grabbed it off him at the end of the day and he still has 70% battery left, but as above, not a heavy user. Touch seems very responsive and flipping through apps is nice and snappy, but it's only a snapdragon 450 with 2gb of ram so I wouldn't expect it to set your world on fire if you're trying to multitask or do any heavy lifting with it. Calls to him are fine, not the best I've heard but still quite loud and clear. It doesn't handle low signal areas as well as my mothers note9, calls to either phone in the same low signal area always go better on the note9, but that's not exactly a fair comparison.

My only other thoughts on it so far were that the old man wanted a case with a flip out stand so he can prop it up and watch the footy, and the selection of cases was pretty limited. I wasn't able to get my goto spigen tough armour case, but I did find a not entirely offensive knockoff on ebay that is doing the job.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    firey4059 and oculi like this.
  3. power

power Member

i'd check for updates and factory reset the bastard then, see it that helps.

firey4059 likes this.
  4. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

I'll have another check for updates, this was the experience brand new out of the box though so if there aren't any I'm not sure a reset will help either. At this stage though there's not much else to try I don't think...

5. sanjay

sanjay Member

id be keen for one of you chinaphone warriors to try the Umidigi F1: https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/436037

Looks like it has it all - teardrop notch, band 28, NFC, huge battery, 3.5mm headphone jack, android 9.0...(my LG G7 is still on oreo for gods sake)

Havabigjuan likes this.
  6. oculi

oculi Member

cheers, JBHIFI says it has 3gb Ram and 32 gb storage, I was hoping it got an update but it's more likely to be bullshit, won;t be much of an upgrade from my current phone except for working properly.

I have a feeling colorOS will give me the shits though, might have to fingerbang one.

7. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

I just quickly checked the specs on gsmarena before I posted, so I'm kinda taking it on faith that they've got the right specs. I'll check the phone itself when I see the old man next and find out for sure what it actually has.

One of the other reasons I switched it to nova was he wanted it set up more like his old HTC was, app draw, weather widget with time etc. I couldn't figure out how to get colorOS looking like that but it's all standard fair with nova.

8. oculi

oculi Member

actually I just checked https://www.oppo.com/au/smartphone-a3s/specs/ and it says it is 3/32 gig, cool! was nova easy to install? I like the look of sense so might be a good option. I'll give colorOS a go first though, i remember the standard samsung... thing was terrible a few years ago.

I'm hoping I can swap the back and "tile" buttons around easily, will see i guess.

9. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Installing is very easy, it's just an app from the play store. The only tricky bit is setting it as your default 'home' page. You can open nova and use it etc, but if you don't set it as default when you press the home button you'll go back to the colorOS home instead of Nova home. It was also one of the settings I had to google how to change. This article explained it all.

https://tech-ish.com/2018/09/20/oppo-coloros-launcher/

Go to Settings - App Management - Default App Management - Homescreen - and select the app you want as the default launcher.

Most decent android skins I've used so far give you a little popup after installing a new launcher asking which one you want. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edit: Looks like colorOS has the ability to swap the navigation keys baked in:

https://oppo-au.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/287

Not sure whether this is affected by swapping launcher or not.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    oculi likes this.
  10. oculi

oculi Member

Picked up an A3S today for $229 from JB, so far I really like it.

So far I'm not hating colorOS - Swapped the nav keys very easily, the search feature in settings is pretty useful. One thing that is taking some getting used to is that all of your apps are on screen (you swipe left to get to them) as opposed to displaying what you want and having a menu with all the apps in it. kinda annoying but whatever.

I think I'm getting the notification problem as described by EvilGenius, there are notifications when you swipe the top bar down, but I haven't seen anything pop up in the top bar. Clicking on "settings" for things in the dropped menu suggests you can choose to display alerts on the top bar, will mess with it a bit.

It's a bit thicker than my old phone, but much more resistant to bending/torsion, the notched screen is a bit of a wank.

highly recommended at this price

firey4059 likes this.
  11. oculi

oculi Member

Well Nova makes it a lot better to use,occasionally when I unlock it it defaults/whatever to the default ColorOS look, but then Nova starts up again after a while and everything is OK.

I;m having a notification issue though, with Gmail specifically I never get new mail notifications, I have to open the app and see if there are new emails like it's 1995 all over again. Seem to be having bluetooth issues too as it won't pair with a stereo that my old phone had no trouble with. Apart from that I'm still really liking it, the dual camera is a nice gimmick.

12. power

power Member

problem with Color is the settings panel is all iOSified. It's hideous.

13. Havabigjuan

Havabigjuan Member

Personally I am really, really tempted to try it.... looking for something cheapo to replace Mate 9 for the hell of it...

Might do some Googling for good price

14. excalibre27

excalibre27 Member

DX.com have it for $179 USD delivered, not bad
    I use kimovil.com for most price checking

15. Havabigjuan

Havabigjuan Member

Cheers, thanks for the heads up!

16. Havabigjuan

Havabigjuan Member

I assume if I bought from DX.com I would be getting a non EU GSM??

17. excalibre27

excalibre27 Member

Yes I think the only difference is where they ship from.

Havabigjuan likes this.
  18. Havabigjuan

Havabigjuan Member

Cheers...DX.com reputable?

19. excalibre27

excalibre27 Member

Yes I have bought from then many times, use PayPal not credit card just to be on the safe side.

Havabigjuan likes this.
  20. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

DX is legit

Havabigjuan likes this.