China Phones - Recommend your Piece of Crap!

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Smokin Whale, Feb 2, 2016.

1. josh1990

josh1990 Member

I use my PC for anything important, banking etc. The most I use a phone for other than making calls is for surfing forums or Facebook. Maybe snap a photo

Couldn't be bothered after this one. I'll make sure to line one up the next time a phone starts to fail. Never been into the whole custom ROM thing, when it comes to phones im a fairly basic user. I ended up getting it for $260 with a sennheiser Bluetooth headset thrown in.

2. MATTATHOME

MATTATHOME Member

So will these China phones all do the 4G on Telstra? I'm wanting to give an Android a real go , have been a iPhone person for ever.. One of these might fit the bill that way can always go back if not happy..

Matt

3. OP
    OP
    Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Most will do 4G on Telstra just fine, very few do 4GX though. Examples of phones that do 4GX is Taiwanese Asus Zenfone 2's, Infocus M808, and the Alcatel Pixi 3 4.5 4G (not a great phone, but hey they were $29).

If you are trying Android for the first time, I'm not sure if a China-droid is the best way to go. They only really shine with a de-bloated ROM. They're not hard to install, but the stock ROMs can feel a bit rough. The Lenovo K3 Note, which is a $135 phablet, has a horrible stock ROM, but is actually quite good if you flash Cyanogenmod 12.1 on there. You might be better off with something like the Nexus 5x, which is dipping around the $300 mark now.

4. MATTATHOME

MATTATHOME Member

Ok thanks for the info was worried I wouldnt get 4G.. I dont mind flashing if required.

MATT

5. OP
    OP
    Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

If you don't mind flashing, and you want a cheap and cheerful experience, I'd recommend the Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 or Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro 32GB. The Note 2 has CM12.1 that works well, whilst the latter has the latest version of Cyanogenmod 13 which appears to be daily-driver ready: http://forum.xda-developers.com/red...cyanogenmod-13-0-xiaomi-redmi-note-3-t3350656

As far as flashing goes, the Note 2 is a piece of cake (I can literally do it in 3 minutes), but the Note 3 requires a bootloader unlock code from Xiaomi but otherwise is fairly painless.

Have fun. I'm going to try a Redmi Note 3 soon, apparently the battery life is bonkers.

6. General_Cartman

General_Cartman Member

The Redmi Note 3 MTK version also has a very stable CM12.1 build now. However I'd definitely suggest shelling out the extra and getting the Snapdragon version because it will get far more development.

7. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Looks good bar the silly 8 core CPU :/

8. OP
    OP
    Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

What's silly about it?

9. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Well, I think concept of 8 cores on a smartphone is silly at the best of times, but in this case Because the cores are all A53s. (weak as - even at 2ghz)

10. OP
    OP
    Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

It'll be running on the new 14nm architecture so you might be surprised how well they run. I think they're somewhere between the Snapdragon 810 and Snapdragon 652 so I doubt they will be a slouch.

11. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

14nm will certainly make it sip power, but doesn't change performance..

http://www.androidauthority.com/sna...20-vs-mediatek-helio-x10-vs-kirin-935-651633/

performance will be around helio-x10 and Kirin 935 level. far below the 810, especially where it counts (real world - not highly multithread synthetic benchmark)

I have nothing against the a53 cores, but they're positively low end now, especially since they don't seem to want to clock past 2ghz. putting 8 of them on an soc and calling it midrange is bs.

12. josh1990

josh1990 Member

I've got the Oppo F1 today. First impressions are good. Definitely feels snappier than the Nexus 5 it's replacing. Installed HwBot prime and it does 3683 primes per second, coming from a best of 2959 with the Nexus. It doesn't get as hot as the Nexus whilst benchmarking it either (the 2959pps achieved in the freezer). The only annoying things I can find are the keyboard is laid out differently and I can't store or move apps on the sd card, only photos and shit. But for $260 ($200 after I sell the Bluetooth headset it came with) I am certainly happy with the product. Surprisingly came with a case and screen protector already installed. No other phone I've ever bought has had that included.

13. OP
    OP
    Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

You might be right, but even then I feel it'll be plenty of grunt for most users.

Another cheap and cheerful, the Doogee X6 Pro. $109 gets you a fair bit these days, including 5.5" HD display, 2GB RAM, 3000mah battery and 4G LTE, although it might be worth the extra $45 to get the K3 Note.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2016...2c6151a2ebf12&smSign=m/H/MVwWNssTvSYPpu4yiw==

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  14. General_Cartman

General_Cartman Member

The Snapdragon version of this phone is now being sold in China along with the MTK version, so I just ordered one from JD. Going through the bootloader unlocking process again will be annoying however I see there's a method to unlock the Snapdragon ones using an exploit so I might give that a go.

15. OP
    OP
    Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Assuming we're talking about the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro? Yeah it's a little bit cheaper on JD, but the Aliexpress cashback offer makes it about the same price on Aliexpress as well. I just ordered a couple of them to play with. :)

16. General_Cartman

General_Cartman Member

Oops yeah, should have mentioned which phone I was talking about!
    I'm lucky I have friends in China so I can get it from the Chinese JD. 1099RMB which is about $230 Aussie. I'll be interested to compare the Snapdragon 650 to the Helio X10. I'm sure if I played games I'd appreciate the extra GPU grunt, however as I don't, I never really found the X10 to be lacking.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  17. OP
    OP
    Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

18. dcyloo

dcyloo Member

I'm on the look-out for cheap and cheerful phones and these sorts of phones look interesting to me.

First up, my wife is after a new phone to replace her Sony Xperia Z2. With a new baby on the way she wants a good snapper on the back so I've been looking around and found a Sony Xperia M4 for about $260. It reads as it's using a MTK processor on it. Seems to me from the read that it'll do a decent job. The Sony IMX230 sensor on the back is what's more interesting to me with it's fast focus speeds.

Any pro/con opinions of this?

For myself, I've been a 4 year Windows Phone user and the ecosystem is dead, when I'm upgrading, my opinion is that current gen mid-tier phones are as good if not a bit better than previous gen top-flight phones of previous generation with 1080p screens, similar level performance processors and the like. I've come to like the Qi wireless charging option with phones so one requirement I've been looking for would be that it'd have that. Falling down to an Elephone P9000 as an ok-enough option out of them.

Anyone used an Elephone before who can give me some reviews of their product?

19. sanjay

sanjay Member

why would you replace a Z2? it is still a titan of a phone that kicks it with the best of them (and includes an awesome camera to boot, im not sure any of the modern chinadroids would be able to match it).

20. dcyloo

dcyloo Member

The Z2 is my wife's phone. I've been sat in the Windows Phone space for a long time and am not schooled up on the sphere of phones, comparisons and availability of Android phones available in the marketplace.

Put it this way, I'd be more than happy to not spend money on a phone if it's still very useful/serviceable to keep the Z2.

Can you give me some pointers to look at/explain to her on:
    * How the Z2 compares to other phones which have gone on sale in the marketplace
    * How the Z2 would compare to the M4
    * What should I do to perform an OS clean-up (as such) to refresh the running of her phone?

I'd be happy to dish out for a new case and screen protector to give a refreshed look and feel of her phone if it lets save the need for a replacement phone.

Camera wise, I know it's pretty decent going from the photos she's taken from it. Is it comparable to the IMX230 sensor of the updated M4?

Does the Z2 allow for a MicroSD card? I've got a spare 32GB unit sitting around and if I could fit it in and have it be the default camera save location, I think this would extend the phone a decent amount more.