China Phones - Recommend your Piece of Crap!

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Smokin Whale, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Havabigjuan

Havabigjuan Member

Ok Googled and found some average reviews....I guess pay with PayPal as excalibre27 suggested

2. excalibre27

excalibre27 Member

3. Havabigjuan

Havabigjuan Member

4. archie

archie Member

why not a nokia with stock android and guaranteed android one updates for similar $?

5. Havabigjuan

Havabigjuan Member

I'm kinda thinking where's the fun in that...lol

archie likes this.
  6. archie

archie Member

sure, if you have the time to experiment, root, flash roms etc :)
    I'm in the "i just need it to work 100%" boat :)

7. Havabigjuan

Havabigjuan Member

Pretty sure Umidgi comes on Oreo straight out the box... dunno how quickly they will dish out updates though

8. excalibre27

excalibre27 Member

It's android 9, pie

9. Havabigjuan

Havabigjuan Member

Cheers, was out and about....couldn't exactly remember what flavour it was....I like pie, yum....warm apple pie

10. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

Interesting that COTD is selling the One+7

11. doug81

doug81 Member

Picked up a Xiaomi Mi 8 Lite to replace my Redmi Note 3 (and probably my aging iPhone 6s+) - got the 6/128 version, and it's pretty damn nice. Just added Nova Launcher and Google Now swipe from home (no need for custom ROM's or anything like that), and it runs like a dream! The screen is stunning, camera takes some great shots, and it's a nice size/weight to use - even the free silicon case it comes with is pretty decent. Battery seems good but haven't hammered it too much to really test it. Would have loved it to be 4000mAh, but 3350 should be fine with the SD660. B28 as well, so 4G+ on Telstra/Optus (although I'm over in Chile for a while, but they use it here too). Definitely worth a consideration if it's in your price range...

Edit: It's been a couple of weeks now, and it's performing really well. I sprung the $6 for Nova Launcher Prime, and pretty happy with it all. Battery is fine, connectivity is better than my iPhone 6s+ (both 4g and wifi) and the screen is just lovely. Even the camera takes great shots! I've bought the Xiaomi AirDots and should be delivered this week, so hopefully that will make a nice pairing. Might have to replace my Apple Watch with the Mi Band 4 and complete the transition!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    Havabigjuan likes this.
  12. Hepsily

Hepsily Member

Anyone using the Redmi Note 7? any thoughts?
    What would people recommend between the Mi 8 Lite and the Note 7?
    Where are people buying these phones from? anything to look out for buying from OS? are they all compatible with aus networks? will be using Optus 4g+

13. archie

archie Member

The lack of nfc still keeps me away from most China phones

14. excalibre27

excalibre27 Member

One of the best phones I have ever had a Leeco pro 3 had nfc, Google pay worked fine with magisk.
    It's a shame what happened to Leeco. They were the first company to ditch the headphone socket for USB c, they released a flagship killer phone, snapdragon 821 cpu, 4000mah battery with nfc. Operating system skin was great too.

I would but one of there phones now in a heart beat! Shame they are bankrupt

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  15. doug81

doug81 Member

Mi 8 Lite has Band 28, Redmi Note 7 doesn't (4g+ needs this) - I probably would have bought the Note 7 otherwise for the smaller notch and bigger battery, but I'm very happy with the Mi 8 Lite so far...

16. Hepsily

Hepsily Member

Thanks doug that answers it for me!

17. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

Didnt realise thats a thing with Chones

And nfc sure is handy when i forget my wallet

18. sanjay

sanjay Member

most chinadroids dont have it for some reason. ive been told its cos the most commonly used version of mobile payments in china (alipay?) uses QR codes instead.

miicah likes this.
  19. the_antipop

the_antipop Member

Been looking at the Umidigi A5 Pro - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Glo...265.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.751c2e0exzW1co
    Currently rocking a iPhone 7, and looking for an upgrade. Was planning on getting the 2019 iphones, but the lack of features and innovation has me waiting until 2020. Thought this would tide me over along with Optus' 50GB $40/month plan.
    Would I notice improved performance of Android 9 with the Umidigi A5 Pro, over my iPhone? Would the triple cameras be better than the 1 on my iphone?

20. sanjay

sanjay Member

im really not sure a $100USD chinadroid is going to be an upgrade over an iPhone 7, but you could do worse than the A5 Pro.

I probably wouldn't want to go lower than the Umidigi F1 but that price is tempting.