China Phones - Recommend your Piece of Crap!

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Smokin Whale, Feb 2, 2016.

1. doug81

doug81 Member

Specs are really nice, and OnePlus has a close to pure android OS so it should perform pretty damn well. I don't really use my phone for gaming so there would be bugger all difference between this and a flagship for me, so the only thing midrange is the price, which is very competitive. The design is nice, and it's basically the same size as iphone 6S plus, but slightly less wide and slightly thicker, but all screen. I'm kind of wanting a bit smaller device though hence the pixel, but the 4a is taking it's sweet time getting here. 8gb ram and a 5g chip are mighty tempting though as you'd get a good 3-4 years out of this phone...

2. juzz86

juzz86 Member

So, Redmi Note 9S from AliExpress was lost, refund approved and in progress. Now eyeing off:

Redmi Note 9S (6/128GB, Global) at $330 landed;
    Redmi Note 9 Pro (6/128GB, Global) at $380 landed;
    Redmi K30 5G (6/64GB, Chinese) at $335 landed;
    Realme X2 (8/128GB, Global) at $355 landed;
    Realme 6 Pro (8/128GB, Global) at $405 landed; or
    Mi Note 10 Lite (6/64GB, Global) at $420 landed

Still leaning towards the 9 Pro to be honest, but the X2 isn't a bad package either. Mammoth battery in 10 Lite appeals, plus camera seems favourable.

Choices choices. Any thoughts?

3. doug81

doug81 Member

X2 is some nice hardware - not as sure on the OS. 10 lite isn’t much different to 9 pro, so I think you’re probably fine saving the $50 there. K30 5G looks like pick of the bunch though, SD765 is nice and 4500 battery is still going to be tons. Not sure if the impact of Chinese v Global variant will be too much as you have to side load google apps, but spec wise that one seems to be a winner...

juzz86 likes this.
  4. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Think you're on the money Doug. I've had issues unlocking Xiaomi bootloaders in the past, but only for seemingly select units. Mi Mix 2 was easy enough, but significant delays getting approval from Xiaomi for a Mi 5S Plus. I can't seem to find any in-stock Global ROM K30 5G, so I might hold off a little until I see them start popping up.

Note 10 Lite lacks an SD card slot which is a bit of a hindrance - I usually carry a 512GB with me for TV and music, so that puts it down the list despite the mammoth battery.

Cheers mate :thumbup:

5. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Ended up that the K30 (non-5G) lacks most popular Aussie 4G bands and the 5G variant lacks a card slot and was only available in the Chinese ROM variant. Ended up with a 128GB Note 9 Pro. Hopefully it arrives this time! :thumbup:

sir_bazz and doug81 like this.
  6. doug81

doug81 Member

Lack of Band 28 is a deal breaker for me too, nice choice in the end

juzz86 likes this.
  7. juzz86

juzz86 Member

It's really nice that the old days of religiously checking band charts at every release have pretty much gome by the wayside with Global models - I remember when UMTS took off, having to camp on American sites to find an exorbitantly-priced 850MHz-compatible version of anything decent when NextG started growing.

A Telus (Canadian) HTC Desire HD holds the record as my most expensive outright phone purchase ever - $1100 in 2008. Yeowch.

8. doug81

doug81 Member

I had the HTC Desire HD as well - hell of a phone at the time, and didn't upgrade until I went to my Nexus 5. Still chasing that Nexus 5 high though, as haven't quite been as happy with a phone since...

Havabigjuan and juzz86 like this.
  9. doug81

doug81 Member

10. King B

King B Member

How's the phone now a month on? Still liking it?

Deftone2k likes this.
  11. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Hey Mate.. yep my gf loves it. Battery life is good, general user is great and she even stuck with the standard loader.

The only annoying thing is some odd camera app loading from time to time and QR codes not working through the camera (which is a pain when you check in places atm).

Would definitely buy again, considering a higher end Oppo for my next device for sure.

King B likes this.
  12. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Find X2 Pro will be my next contract upgrade, for sure. Beautiful bit of kit :thumbup:

13. doug81

doug81 Member

Not sure if mentioned or not, but this was something cool I hadn’t seen before - Ulefone Armor 9 is a rugged phone with a built-in thermal camera!

https://m.ulefone.com/armor-9.html

14. juzz86

juzz86 Member

BlackView do a few with FLIR cameras too, plus humongous batteries!

I remember when Ulefone used to be the absolute worst stuff on eBay - 40 bucks, resistive screens, 0.3MP cameras, 1800mAh batteries. How far the no-name's have come is more astounding than the brand-names I think personally. Cubot, Elefon, Umidigi - I mean they still have their fair share of garbage, but their top-tier stuff is quite equivalent to lower-mid-tier everyone else.

15. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Shame the camera only shoots 1080/30p video, not good for a au$600 phone, otherwise it looks good if you needed a phone like that, but maybe the camera needs to be like that for the thermal imagery.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
  16. doug81

doug81 Member

Even Xiaomi which was king of the midrange has released the Mi 10 Ultra which is a hell of a phone and way less than the top-tier equivalents that it's kind of beating in most categories...

juzz86 likes this.
  17. juzz86

juzz86 Member

That transparent Mi 10 Ultra looks absolutely beautiful. I normmaly go for a black and very 'corporate' device, but that's beautiful and I want one. GSMArena says the camera is excellent too.

doug81 likes this.
  18. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Why do they have a camera that shoots 8k, that to me is totally pointless in a phone, and it would also use up way too much storage as well, and this phone has no SD card slot, which makes 8k seem even more pointless.

it's bad enough that most phones can't even shoot 4k properly, but it does seem to be a pretty decent phone.

19. Thebeststeve

Thebeststeve New Member

anyone got the poco x3 or poco f2 pro? both look really good.

20. juzz86

juzz86 Member

F2 Pro reviewed well mate, I like the look of that and the Redmi K30 - that circular effect on the back looks cool. Decent camera, big battery and a nice 865 underneath - reminds me a bit of the old OnePlus phones - top specs at mid price.

Minus the bullshit 'invite only' thing from their early days of course.