China Phones - Recommend your Piece of Crap!

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Smokin Whale, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Thebeststeve

Thebeststeve New Member

the x3 was just released and seems to be a better mi 9, so it should be ok. plus its like <400$... good for a cheapo like me!

juzz86 likes this.
  2. juzz86

juzz86 Member

It does look nice, just popped up at GSMArena too. Huge battery and five cameras - I'm waiting on my Note 9 Pro to see what the 64MP IMX682 goes like. Wasn't really a fan of the Mi 9 design despite it being very popular - aside from the big POCO down the back, this one's pretty tidy. 732G in the 'NFC' one, brand new SoC :thumbup:

3. wullieb1

wullieb1 Member

4. Thebeststeve

Thebeststeve New Member

That's a good sign cause I got the first oneplus through invite. Was an amazing phone that lasted me a long time. Fell off a 3m high balcony onto my concrete drive way and survived with a few small scratches.

5. Thebeststeve

Thebeststeve New Member

Yep that's what I saw. The 300$ price tag swayed me. Shipping from China I expect it to come around November? Will keep people updated.

6. juzz86

juzz86 Member

That's excellent buying on the X3 - a lot of phone for the price :thumbup:

7. doug81

doug81 Member

Poco X3 is going to be a strong contender for best value mid-ranger, and really unless you're gaming it's going to be one of the best phones going. 8gb RAM option would've been nice though as MIUI is a bit of a hog at times...

8. Thebeststeve

Thebeststeve New Member

I wonder if you can custom rom it. ill have to look into it.

9. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Nothing at XDA yet, but the community is there. I expect it'll get the usual following, shouldn't take much to port existing custom ROMs across, assuming 732 isn't far removed from 720/730.

10. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Been enjoying the Note 9 Pro since it arrived - amazing how far the 'budget' market has come, damn it's a lot of phone for the money. Camera punches well above weight, battery is outstanding.

I also picked up an Oppo Find X2 Pro, just today as it happens. Migrating data across now, but it'll need to be a big sell to pull me away from the Note 9.

11. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

For xiaomi in the past (not tried in a couple of years) the place to go was xiaomi.eu, esp. for untouched / bloat stripped global ROMs.
    Not sure if this is still the case, but get on front foot with requesting the unlock code, last time I looked a year or two back it took weeks to issue (they were trying to halt resellers flashing garbage adware ridden ROMs).

juzz86 likes this.
  12. juzz86

juzz86 Member

That's true mate, I had the waiting period with the Mi Max 2, although I think it was 48 hours at that stage.

Thanks for the tip on the .eu, a nice stripped-down global MIUI ROM would suit it perfectly. I am usually tolerant of preinstalled shit I can hide from the launcher, but the entire Mi ecosystem goes a bit deeper than what I'm really comfortable with.

Fine at home where it's behind the private DNS, not so much out in the wild!

13. bobbyjimmy

bobbyjimmy Member

I've got a Poco F2 Pro, cannot fault it. Fast, good screen etc, camera/s are good too, battery life is very good. Would recommend.
    Wife has a Poco F1 (selling it in a bit) and now an X3 NFC (are X3's and X3 NFC's the same?), seems good for the week or so she's had it but does feel a bit cheap (which it is) due to the plastic back and the haptic feedback (if it matters) doesn't feel 'right'. Camera/s are good, the battery is good (or I'd hear about it) and the screen is as good if not a bit better than the F2 (maybe due to the higher refresh rate which adjusts to content I think).

These things both have to have debloated to get rid of all the baked-in Xiaomi ads that are in basically every stock app and get rid of the useless apps too.
    Easy to do, a lot of videos and Reddit threads about it - tool https://github.com/Szaki/XiaomiADBFastbootTools, unlock developer options and allow USB debugging, plug it in and click what you don't want/need.

juzz86 likes this.
  14. juzz86

juzz86 Member

That toolkit looks like a winner mate, cheers.

I read the reviews on the X3 NFC with great interest - I'm pretty sure the non-NFC X3 has a bigger battery and no NFC, but is otherwise the same. Seems like a sound little platform, similar to the Redmi K30 which caught the eye, too.

15. Thebeststeve

Thebeststeve New Member

So to update I got the Poco X3 and been using it for about two weeks. Seems pretty decent for the price. Granted I've never used a 1000$ phone to properly compare it but it does what I want it to, and because I don't use many of the stock apps I don't get many any ads.
    Runs genshin impact and battery lasts all day and I'm on it constantly. With the battery saver option it lasts longer.

16. DarkWorld

DarkWorld Member

Genshin runs all day? Wow. My K20 Pro gets drained after like 2 hours

17. Thebeststeve

Thebeststeve New Member

Er, that should read runs genshin COMMA, and battery still lasts all day.

Granted it can handle 2 hours of genshin with battery to spare.

DarkWorld likes this.
  18. alexb618

alexb618 Member

update, mi note 10 lite has been great. long battery life, have been able to customize anything i want, everything just works.

19. Slavetonet

Slavetonet Member

I find the title is misleading. Why is this piece of shit?
    You get what you pay for You Piece of Shit!

Apple Iphone is made in CHINA.

20. DarkWorld

DarkWorld Member

Mostly because what used to be associated with Chinese devices is cheap throwaway phones, usually of poor quality

Sankari likes this.