China Phones - Recommend your Piece of Crap!

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Smokin Whale, Feb 2, 2016.

1. General_Cartman

General_Cartman Member

The M4 is a substantial downgrade from the Z2:

The Snapdragon 615 in the M4 is slower than the Snapdragon 801 in the Z2.
    The Screen is half the resolution.
    Battery is smaller.

If the Z2 is performing slowing a factory reset will make it feel like new.
    http://www.hardreset.info/devices/sony/sony-xperia-z2-d6503/

2. dcyloo

dcyloo Member

Cheers! I'll talk to my wife about this and look to get it sorted out. Spending perhaps $10 for a new case and screen cover to make it look and feel new again will be much better than going the whole new phone option.

3. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

The Z2 was a 2014 flagship, comparable to the Moto X, Galaxy S5, OnePlus One, HTC One M8 etc. It has a Snapdragon 801 processor that was top-notch at the time.

(The 2015 flagships basically all sucked except the S6, because that year's Snapdragon, the 810, had massive issues with thermal throttling, so I'm going to ignore their existence)

So, the 801 is a lot faster than the 615 in the M4 - the core count difference is a red herring, 615 is a big.LITTLE architecture where only 4 cores are active most of the time, and there are no mobile workloads where many slow cores are better than a few fast ones.

The Z2 has 3GB of RAM, the M4 only 2GB.

The Z2 has a camera that was top of the line in 2014. The M4 has the kind of camera you put in a midrange phone, i.e. a meh one.

The Z2 has a 1920x1080 display, the M4 only 1280x720.

Both are microSD expandable. The Z2 has a much larger battery, although I imagine the one you have is probably getting a little elderly - might be worth replacing the battery if it's becoming an issue.

4. General_Cartman

General_Cartman Member

QFT. I'd take a Snapdragon 800/801 over 615 any day of the week. The Snapdragon 800 was an absolute beast when it was released back in 2013 and still holds its own against current mid-rangers like the Snapdragon 615/6/7 and MT6573.

5. soung1234

soung1234 Member

Picked up the 3/32gb version a few months ago, can't fault it. My first chinese phone so had the usual reservations, but took a gamble considering the specs and sub-$300 price.

If the battery life holds up OK and gives me a couple of years of trouble-free service, would definitely go with another chinese phone.

6. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Any thoughts on the Ulefone Power? The usual kinda features, 8-core etc, but crazy battery life and a nice wood back. :) Under $200 AUD delivered atm.

7. bennyg

bennyg Member

I picked up a Redmi 3 (non Note) for the resident phone-destroyer. The mediatek soc is definitely not as snappy as the Snapdragon soc in my Note 3 Pro but its pretty good so far for $160 including glass screen protector and leather case

8. soung1234

soung1234 Member

Awesome battery, and so cheap. 9.5mm thick and 190grams though, so not for everyone.

9. technoir

technoir Member

Cheap! Looks good, though no 850MHz 3G band could potentially be a problem.

10. X-ZemPt

X-ZemPt Member

Looks to be AUD$150 delivered from GearBest at the moment.

11. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

I think that's USD. AUD is 194, in my browser anyway.

12. doug81

doug81 Member

only thing is the lack of band 28 means you won't get 4gx on Telstra which may be an issue depending on where you use the phone - otherwise the specs stack up pretty well for that price

13. dcyloo

dcyloo Member

Bands. Is there somewhere which gives me a nice easy consolidated view for what I need to look for in each phone's specification list so that I know it'll work on Telstra?

This "unable to use 4GX" stuff... is 4GX... what data speeds would I expect from it?

I'm in Brisbane, I don't know if all bands are important for where I am. Do I still need 2G support being on Telstra? Is 3G 850/1800MHz of the primary importance still? I get confused with the different terminology of band numbering convention and actual frequency being used.

14. OP
    OP
    Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

4GX is basically everywhere now. Try https://oztowers.com/ for cell info. You'll probably be fine without 4GX on Telstra in Brisbane.

Taiwanese Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro coming soon. Can't wait, as that will have 700Mhz Band 28 LTE (4GX, 4G Plus, whatever telco's insist on calling it) support.

15. X-ZemPt

X-ZemPt Member

You are correct, I accidentally clicked on the Ulefone Metal yesterday which was around $150 delivered...sigh.

16. WJR

WJR (Banned or Deleted)

Another vote for the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro, I picked up the 3GB/32GB version for around $250 bucks and it's pretty good....nice screen, decent performance....not bad at all for a poverty phone.

17. doug81

doug81 Member

Just bought my mum a Redmi 3S - she's not in Australia so Band 28 isn't an issue, and she's coming from an iPhone 4s but hardly uses anything so as long as I can show her how to take a picture and open fb, she'll be happy with the 4100m battery.

Elefone metal didn't look too bad, but preferred the snapdragon chip

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  18. Rezin

Rezin Member

+1 Redmi 3. Very handy to have dual-sim. Still looking into how to root so I can put on Droidwall etc. Not sure I completely trust the stock software.

19. onggie

onggie Member

Anyone sourcing the Redmi locally? I need to buy 2 of them for next week.

20. OP
    OP
    Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

PM incoming.