Chipotle Popcorn Chicken

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by scrantic, Sep 17, 2013.

1. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Brute force & optimism

I was going to shallow-fry mine in small batches in an inch or so of sunflower oil, but I've just remember my mate across the road has offered me free use of his deep fryer.
    Now I just need to decide if I'm willing to share. :)

Will probably take over what I don't cook tonight for lunch tomorrow. He does a mean homebrew, should go nicely.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  2. OP
    OP
    scrantic

scrantic Member

This is how I did mine worked perfect

3. BlueRaven

Slightly late reply, lol... result:

Click to view full size!

Bloody delicious, super crunchy and spicy after a couple of days in the marinade.
    Tips: you really need a thermopen/digital thermometer to monitor the oil temp (or use a proper deep fryer) if you want to do this consistently well.
    My first batch was over-browned and slightly undercooked because I had the oil too hot.
    Keeping the element on medium-high heat (8 on my stovetop which goes up to 11 :lol:) worked much better, but still gave pretty variable results.
    We added a good dash of coconut oil too, which seemed to help stabilise the oil somewhat.

The dipping sauces were a homemade Thousand Island from a standard recipe of 50/50 whole egg mayo and tomato sauce, dash of worcestershire, dash of tabasco (with a couple of drops of chipotle hot sauce added),
    and a spicy BBQ sauce made from Masterfoods Smokey BBQ, chipotle hot sauce and cider vinegar.

Really tasty stuff, will definitely make again. Cheers. :thumbup:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  4. OP
    OP
    scrantic

scrantic Member

Glad you liked it. I will reiterate your comment re: thermapen I fried at about 170c measured with my thermapen regularly. I have a shitty electric stovetop so quick adjustments are not easy.

I might have to cook these again sometimes soon. My wife might kill me but lucky for me she's working night shift twice a week ;).

5. BlueRaven

GF loves it, she is, um... not exactly a petite girl. :lol:
    I will need to fight off the urge to make this even semi-regularly, for the sake of both our health. :)

6. OP
    OP
    scrantic

scrantic Member

Mmmm there are certainly no health benefits to be gained for this recipe but it would be the only thing I'd ever deep fry.

In fact cooking this for friday night NOM NOM NOM

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  7. BlueRaven

Front page. :thumbup:

8. OP
    OP
    scrantic

scrantic Member

Thanks was pleased with that too :)

9. OP
    OP
    scrantic

scrantic Member

Cooking this again tonight. Only me second time trying it. First time I used a Chipotle Sauce. This time I've put about whole chipotle chillies and sauce and pureed them in a blender then mixed with the buttermilk. I'm hoping for a lot more kick after 24 hours of marinating.

10. scared&profane

scared&profane Member

this looks like it would be awesome with Chipoltlenaise! i make mine with:
    1 tin of chipoltles in adobo
    1 tub of mayonnaise (less = spicier, more = creamier)
    juice of 2 limes
    1 tablespoon dijon mustard
    1 tablespoon crushed garlic
    salt and pepper to taste
    blend

now smear on everything!

11. BlueRaven

That's how I did mine with the Goya chipotles, pureed the whole can in food processor then mixed with the buttermilk.
    You can see some nice chunks of chilli in my marinade photo, i thought the chicken had a pretty decent level of spice (although "spicy" is a relative term for everyone of course :)).

Sounds good... I am loving mixing up creamy/spicy "Southwest" style sauces at the moment, using my small but growing collection of hot sauces, lemon/lime juice, hot english or dijon mustard, various vinegars, tomato sauce or smokey bbq sauce for tangy/smokey flavours...

I have a few questions though.
    What is this tub-based form of our most awesome condiment that you speak of?
    Is it nice whole-egg stuff? Please tell me it's not some thin and inadequate "caterers pack" type dealio.
    Which reputable merchants should I seek out in order to acquire such tub-like quantities of creamy goodness?

I've had a go at making my own a few times.
    Haven't had a problem getting it to emulsify and not split, but the taste... isn't ... quite... there.
    Almost, but not quite. I've tried several "guaranteed to taste like XXXX commercial brand of whole-egg mayo" recipes, but none of them really do.

12. scared&profane

scared&profane Member

Thomy whole egg mayo is what i've used to best effect. Costco was the best bet, but coles or woolies works just as well :)

13. BlueRaven

Good stuff. :thumbup:
    Except they're owned by Nestle, who are the very definition of corporate evil. :thumbdn:

Hmm never seen it in anything bigger than a 500 or 600 gm jar.
    I think I will continue my quest for homemade perfection, then once I've got the recipe right I'll make a good sized batch and store it in a big-arse preserving jar (sterilised of course).

Anyway, enough Off Topic.
    I have some chicken wings in the freezer, might go about the chipotle hot wings that were mentioned on the first page. :D
    Will post results/recipe if I have success.

14. OP
    OP
    scrantic

scrantic Member

Sooooo much spicer with the puréed chillies, that's more line it :)

15. RaihaX

RaihaX Member

oh my gawd, just saw this thread and also found out the local shop sells those adobo sauce as the OP, will need to try this out next week..

16. phantom220

phantom220 Member

Marinating as we speak!

Will report back tomorrow.

17. |Renegade|

|Renegade| Member

I gave these a shot the other night actually. My partner is a little sensitive to spice, so I opted out the chipotles for sweet paprika.

While it certainly was missing the little chipotle kick, they didn't disappoint - what I ended up making was popcorn chicken filled enchiladas!

I managed to score a quick snapshot as they came out of the pan:
    [​IMG]

My only piece of advice is that the faster they go from flour to pan - the better they come out.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  18. phantom220

phantom220 Member

My thoughts: chipotle was a nice little kick, they're very tasty but I'd imagine incredibly unhealthy.

I think I also need to learn how to deep fry (and potentially use bigger pieces of chicken next time).

Otherwise tasty!

19. OP
    OP
    scrantic

scrantic Member

They are by no means a health food :) Probably something I'd only have 2 or 3 times a year but better than going to KFC.

20. weznagwama

weznagwama Member

Where do you get that chipotle sauce from? Coles was a dud for me.

I modified this recipe:

- buttermilk
    - Thai red curry sauce
    - (vegetarian GF mandates no meat) Quorn instead of chicken.

It was quite yummy!

Click to view full size!