Chipotle Popcorn Chicken

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by scrantic, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

You can buy the chipotles in adobo from quite a few delis and harris farm and the likes, they are by a brand named Goya.

Otherwise if you look at someone like Herbies Spices you can buy Chipotle Ground.

2. Matt P

Matt P Member

there is also fireworks foods

Most mexican places will sell them (i.e. for adelaidians chile mojo do) but they can get spendy.

3. BlueRaven

BlueRaven yep, that's probably about right

Epic necro tiem because 2020 and comfort food = big mood, or words to that effect.

You can buy this at Woolies now, diced chipotles in adobo sauce:
    IMG20201130210507.jpg

But for this new experimental batch of chicken I used 3 of the Goya brand whole peppers in sauce kindly donated by a friend who knows I love them and had some leftovers, smothered in olive oil to stop them going bad in transport/storage and with a whole garlic clove chucked into the oil for a month or so because it's not going to hurt is it?

Used a stick blender to mince it up (garlic and oil and all) into a thick paste in a big jar, of the sort in which are purchased bulk roasted peppers/olives etc.
    Poured in a whole carton of Aldi-brand buttermilk + juice of half a lemon and blended further until smooth'n'spicy-smelling.
    To which was added approx. 600gms of thigh fillet, trimmed and chopped into decent-bite pieces, and refrigerated to marinate for about 36 hours.
    This proved to be a very convenient way to handle the marinade.
    Just give the jar a good shake/turn every 12 hours or so to ensure the chicken is evenly coated and absorbing all that lovely acid from the marinade.

IMG20201130204138.jpg

When ready to cook: preheat your oil/fryer to around 170C, season 2-3 cupfuls of plain flour with some salt/pepper, fish the chicken chunks from the jar with your clean hands, shake off the excess buttermilk, into the flour for a good toss, shake off again then straight into the pan or submerged fryer basket.
    Fry until delicious, drain, eat with some piquant mayonnaise-based sauce that you'll invent on the spot with whatever appropriate condiments you have to hand.
    Enjoy your crispy-tender-juicy chicken treats. :thumbup:

IMG20201130204413.jpg

Next episode: Panko breadcrumb.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    Lupuscrux likes this.
  4. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Omg thank you for necroing this thread.

Ordinarily I'd be against the mere mention of raising things from the dead in 2020 but this was a service to humanity/my covid waistline.